Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:36 AM EDT
I traded in my 2000 Silverado for a 06 subaru WRX... New 2.5L turbo engine, bigger brakes, aluminium suspension bits, better tranny, and a few other things made the 06 a huge upgrade over the 05 wrx....

Current mods (car still has temp plates):
-whiteline adj 27mm front sway bar
-whiteline adj 24mm rear sway bar w/ kartboy endlinks
-h-brace (under car in front, keeps the lower control arms from moving around under load)
-rally armor mud flaps
-gauges (boost, EGT, oil pressure)
-meth injection (being installed currently)
-intercooler sprayer (external mist over intercooler, cools intercooler, also being installed currently)

On order:
Racecomp engineering kool brake kit (brake ducts for brake cooling)
KW variant 3 coilovers (2 way adjustable coilovers)
camber plates for the front, harded top hats for the rear

Future plans:
Engine management (will order this when I finish installing the meth injection)
turbo back exhust
big brake kit for front

Pictures:

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
kewl! im not a big fan of the bullnose on the new wrx/sti.

im actually lookin at an 02/03(i know a bunch of ppl hate the bug eyes too) but im torn between that and a new tacoma, or an evo.  but nothing beats the sound of a scooby.

grats on the new purchase!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
congrats on the new wrx...looks awesome and nice mods done

Quoted:
im torn between that and a new tacoma, or an evo.

going between a wrx and a tacoma is a big jump...good luck with that choice.

i'll give you a little help...if you go with a mid-size truck, go with a frontier over the tacoma...much better truck.

as for the evo or wrx...get the evo, it edges out the wrx pretty much every year, only slightly though
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
as for the evo or wrx...get the evo, it edges out the wrx pretty much every year, only slightly though

There is no direct competition in the evo for the WRX.  The Evo is competition for the STi.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just dont forget that the Evo was only tested maybe for a couple of days by the car magizines.  I think any of the Impreza line beats any competition as far as owning the car for 4 or 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Meth injection, eh?

What will those tweakers figure out next, with their 48hours without sleep and all...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'll give you a little help...if you go with a mid-size truck, go with a frontier over the tacoma...much better truck.

All i can say to your post is you know nothing about vehicles - stop reading magazines and drive these things befor you speak to them -
Taco is hands down the best truck built pound for pound -
Evo is great in some respects (after market mods)  but the STI beats it everytime in all around battle -day to day real driving.
Frontier - lol thats funny shit man
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Nater nice car -
If your going with water/meth then look to aquamist -the best in the game, also step up for the 3d mapping because in the end it will save you for constant af readings and dyno runs to get her dialed in.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#8]
It's odd that the new WRX has the larger engine but oly eeks out 5 more HP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a 2004 a couple of weeks ago.  Added the Cobb Tuning AccessPort Stage 1 program uyesterday. Only planning minor mods (up pipe, turbo back exhaust, suspension, rims & tires) but it's a nice peppy little car. Handling is great, though. Should be fun on the road course at IRP at the end of May.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Front end looks jus like a NISSAN. I liked the older styles better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's odd that the new WRX has the larger engine but oly eeks out 5 more HP.

5 more RATED hp... On the dynos that people have done, it dyno's alot higher (on Cobb's all wheel dyno, it does 200hp and 234ft-lbs at the wheels). The 06's are pulling 13.7's stock (mind you with GREAT driving and ideal conditions). The extra torque is great around the city and in traffic.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nater nice car -
If your going with water/meth then look to aquamist -the best in the game, also step up for the 3d mapping because in the end it will save you for constant af readings and dyno runs to get her dialed in.

I will be taking her to topspeed in atlanta to get tuned. I am looking at meth injection systems now, and I know I want to go with 3d mapping, but there are a few diffrent brands to choose from. I am just looking at them and trying to decide. I know aquamist is one of the prefered brands out there, and I certainly might end up with it. I am currently installing the braided stainless line from the trunk to the engine bay, and sorting out power etc as I decide on a kit...

I forgot to mention, I have a 12 liter tank in the trunk (sti spec c tank) for my meth No more running out of meth on track days...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Good call on the alky injection. Once I get my omni dialed in as far as the computer goes, I will start cobbling up an alky system for the car.

When are you going to get the WBO2 in there? That and an EGT gauge are the way to go for sure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats!  I'm still holding out for a diesel WRX.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#15]
i would take my WRX to vishnu tuning(very famous evo/wrx tuner) and pick up a new turbo and other mods... i would shoot for 350-380 at the crank.

the truck is more utilitarian... plus being an auto, will keep me driving slow...

tough call.  

i have been thinking more and more about the evo and im gonna pass on it... i would have to end up doing a ton of work on the drivline to get what i want.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no direct competition in the evo for the WRX.  The Evo is competition for the STi.

sorry, i was assuming you knew i was talking about the wrx/sti when i was comparing them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All i can say to your post is you know nothing about vehicles - stop reading magazines and drive these things befor you speak to them -
Taco is hands down the best truck built pound for pound -
Evo is great in some respects (after market mods)  but the STI beats it everytime in all around battle -day to day real driving.
Frontier - lol thats funny shit man

i have driven all cars mentioned...you might not want to spout off what you know nothing about.

you think the taco is better...to me thats funny shit.  i'll have my opinions, you have yours...if you have something bad to say about mine...keep them to yourself, i dont care to hear it.

ETA:  sorry for the small hijack "nater"...didnt know someone was gonna troll my post
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, i was assuming you knew i was talking about the wrx/sti when i was comparing them.

The thread is about the 2007 non-STi WRX.  Try to keep up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this thread is about a 2006 WRX...come on now, stop ruining this guys thread just cuz you wanna critique my posts with wrong info
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this thread is about a 2006 WRX...come on now, stop ruining this guys thread just cuz you wanna critique my posts with wrong info

2006, 2007, either way your comparison to the Evo was incorrect.

But I'm glad to see that you finally figured out what the thread was about.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
2006, 2007, either way your comparison to the Evo was incorrect.

But I'm glad to see that you finally figured out what the thread was about.

evo vs wrx is correct...only a complete moron and someone who doesnt know cars wouldnt know what im talking about...guess thats why you tried to "correct" me.

congrats
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i would take my WRX to vishnu tuning(very famous evo/wrx tuner) and pick up a new turbo and other mods... i would shoot for 350-380 at the crank.

Congrats on your purchase! There are many great tuners for Subies out there, hit up the main sites for info and for tuners in your area:

www.nasioc.com

www.cobbtuning.com
www.crucialracing.com
pdxtuning

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#23]
muahahaha, the oportunity may arise to get an 05 STi! muahaha, more points here i come!

im still torn though.  i have been leaning tword a scooby.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
muahahaha, the oportunity may arise to get an 05 STi! muahaha, more points here i come!

IIRC, WRXs with the 2.5 can use alot of the take off parts from the STi--throttle body, intake manifold, hoses, etc. I have a Legacy GT, which also has the 2.5.  There are a few guys on the boards that have done complete STi swaps for under $1k in parts...countless hours of labor!

From reading the boards, your issues with 350HP and up come with the fuel delivery system, tranny strength...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, WRXs with the 2.5 can use alot of the take off parts from the STi--throttle body, intake manifold, hoses, etc. I have a Legacy GT, which also has the 2.5.  There are a few guys on the boards that have done complete STi swaps for under $1k in parts...countless hours of labor!

From reading the boards, your issues with 350HP and up come with the fuel delivery system, tranny strength...

I will agree with tranny strength... The good news is that this year the tranny is alittle stronger then the 04-05s (which was in turn stronger than the 02-03's). I dont drag race, nor do I shift hard (the two things that kill a subaru tranny), so I should be ok. If I end up blowing up the tranny, I will swap in a STi 6speed...

The injectors on the 2006 wrx flow MORE than the STi pinks (they flow 560cc stock). I should be ok with meth injection and a td06-20g turbo (since the meth injection will reduce my fuel requirements a lot). If I have to go to a bigger fuel pump, so be it. My crank, rods, and block are exactly the same as the STi parts. My pistons are alittle diffrent (no one knows if they are stonger or weaker, just higher compression), and my heads differ becase of my airpump (the STi has no airpimp iirc). I have AVCS and the same cams as an STi.

There has been talk of sending my block off to axis and getting pistons and better bearings installed, along with a port and polish and a better valve job. That would run me ~2250 and leave me without a car for under a month. As for the tranny, I will pray, and be nice to it. My goal is a daily driven road course terror. With 350 whp, stoptech brakes, and the full coilovers, swaybars, big sticky  tires, etc I should be able to run down fairly stock 911's at my local course...

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Nater, i am jealous..you are pulling the trigger on this car bigtime!! If i didn't have so many gun projects lined up, and a factory warranty that I want to keep, i'd be right there with ya..

somewhat  I am probably going to get the Cobb AP though, and then see where the sickness takes me.  I wish the LGT came with a 6spd option. I wonder if they've left the door open for a LGT STi.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh.. and for the tacoma vs frontier debate... Tacoma for the win... I drove both when I was shopping for a new car, and I liked the tacoma alot more. Not to mention the 7 4runners my family has owned (87, 89, 90, 92, 93, 95, 97, 99... something like that) has left me with alot of respect for the toyota... My first car was a 1990 4Runner 4x4, V6, 5speed... I totaled it with 140,000 on the odo, and it was like brand new... great cars... I also have a turbo supra in my garage...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wonder if they've left the door open for a LGT STi.

The rumors say maybe next year in the spec B... who knows though. The legacy is a great handling car (better then the impreza ). The LGT is freaking sexy. If I had any sort of family, I would be all over the LGT...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was originally lookin at a 2L wrx...  i know about the 2nd gear grenades with that gen.   new fuel pump & pink injectors would fix the fuel delivery prob, anything higher and i might need new fuel rails.
i have personally blown up 2 trannies in bug eyed WRXs, and then regeared them.  so im not worried about it.

Nater hows it running?

Edit: oh and i have a HUGE respect for toyota, i have owned 2 RWD corollas in the last year, 1 gen 1 mr2 and i learned how to drive in a tacoma:p   im also a honda guy, but damn i hate most of the owners(i used to own an EP3 Civic Si, the last HB) i have wanted a bug eye from the start, i always hated the looks of the STi and now the bullnose.. but the 04-05 STi is really growing on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top