Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 9:45:03 AM EDT
It looks like a old crack judging by the rust and crud in it.
The paranoid voice in my head is asking is it okay to continue driving this car till I get a new rotor?
It won't be too long since I ordered new pads and a Brembo rotor off of Tire Rack. I should get it by Tues or Wed.
The cracked rotor is a aftermarket dimpled, slotted unit about 3 or 4 years old.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It is time to pimp z auto.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It is time to pimp z auto.

It's too old for that.
I pimped it about 4 years ago by adding 17" wheels, tires, CAI, sway bars and new brakes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I quess depending on the size of the crack, I'd probaly drive carefully with a miniature hairline crack. Anything bigger, and I'd leave the car awaiting replacement parts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I quess depending on the size of the crack, I'd probaly drive carefully with a miniature hairline crack. Anything bigger, and I'd leave the car awaiting replacement parts.

bigger than hairline! Crap, I was afraid of this.
About a 1" long and a millimeter wide at it's widest point.
I never used impact guns when tightening and final torqued with a torque wrench to 90ft/lbs
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
i wouldnt drive. imagine shooting a ar  with a cracked upper. just my thoughts. brakes are pretty important in my book. seems you always need them when you dont have them. you will have other failures is the rotor lets go. hopefully your new bremebos arent drilled or expect the same. sorry but thats reality.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My opinion, anyone who is willing to pay the extra to buy Brembo should know the answer to this question already before he asked.

Shame, on the timing though.

actually, the brembo are cheaper than the ones I bought originally.
They are listed as OEM replacments and the others are for road racing.
Local store also wanted more for a stock oem rotor. go figure.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Who made the original one?  is there a warranty?

I'd stay off it.  It would suck for it to fail when you really needed it....Would be like shoving a broomhandle into the spokes of a spinning bike tire....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Who made the original one?  is there a warranty?

I'd stay off it.  It would suck for it to fail when you really needed it....Would be like shoving a broomhandle into the spokes of a spinning bike tire....

power slot I believe but I don't think the warranty would cover it due to age, 4 years
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally got around to replacing the rotor. It had 2 cracks in it at the 3 and 9

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you get ahold of the manufacturer?  Even if they don't want to cough up a refund or anything they should at least know that there may be a problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, you coulda got another 100,000 miles outa that!  I bet you replace your tires before the threads are showing!?!?!

Travis
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did you get ahold of the manufacturer?  Even if they don't want to cough up a refund or anything they should at least know that there may be a problem.

The crack is originating from the dimples.
I'm getting nervous cause I have 3 more on my car
I put on my summer tires and I didn't see any cracks on the other rotors.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would think any manufacture would stand behind that regardless of age.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#16]
You didn't buy slotted and cross drilled Brembos did you? Cracking tends to propagate from the slots and holes. When I replace my front rotors, I'll be going with Brembo blanks. They don't look as cool as the cross-drilled and slotted sets but for anything but track applications, standard rotors are more practical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You didn't buy slotted and cross drilled Brembos did you? Cracking tends to propagate from the slots and holes. When I replace my front rotors, I'll be going with Brembo blanks. They don't look as cool as the cross-drilled and slotted sets but for anything but track applications, standard rotors are more practical.

just plain faced rotors. I was trying these because I figured the dimples and slots might be less prone to cracks than the regular drilled stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn that sucks. I always heard they were bad about cracking (cross drilled&slotted) I would feel cheated.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
only drilled rotors crack, slotted will not crack.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
only drilled rotors crack, slotted will not crack.

these are dimpled rotors...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, dem rotors be f*cked, good thing you checked them when you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top