Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:13:31 AM EDT
I have a 1998 (yes, 98) Camry that I have put 282K miles on.  I have done my tranny services every 80 to 120K miles since new.  It was time for anohter this week and I had had a bout of "morning sickness" that was cured with about 8 oz of new fluid.  FLuid in the tranny is dark.  I asked the mech. for a tranny flush and eval.  He called back and said no to the flush as the thing was worn out and needed R&R.  THye found a used one with 62K miles on it and offered to put it in for 1800.  I declined and am now driving like an 80 year old grandma.  I stopped the job that had all the miles almost two years ago and now drive 15 to 20K miles a year.  I need the hive mind's opinions on going the used tranny route versus a rebuilt or reconditioned one.  I am gonna eek this one out as long as possible, but my time is limited.

Any help is appreciated.  IM's or replies are best as I have no access to email until night time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there anything wrong with the tranny? Or did the mech a yota stealership just tell you to replace it? -Just change the fluid yourself -its ez

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The fluid is dark because of worn friction plate particles and burnt residue from those plates slipping/heating up.  Lots more wear in there that is just getting worse.  It will eventually leave you stranded.  No cheap fix available.  

The trans they found was probably 1/3 of that $1800.  The rest is labor.  It's not easy to r&r a wrong wheel drive transmission.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to 86 the car....

282k miles -> unless you did an engine overhaul or something, it's not worth saving....

Odds are, something else is gonna die after the traanny...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Time to 86 the car....

282k miles -> unless you did an engine overhaul or something, it's not worth saving....

Toyota replaced the engine at 250K due to the sludge engine thing.  I still do not think it actually needed it, but the shop got toyota to pay for it (they seem to run a mill of camry's and such with that little recall effort)  

I am still driving the thing (like an 80 year old granny) and we'll see how long it goes.  I can't aford a car payment for at least 3 more years   as the wife is back in school.  A one time $1800 I can swing (it is the equivalent of only 6 months of car payments if you assume $300 a month).

The real question is new or used.  Aside from the fluid color (grit etc.) it has had two espisodes of slipping or failure to engage in gear.  Both when cold and low on fluid.  I have now quized a half a dozen shops (both dealer and independant) and gotten the same prognosis - she's gonna die.   Questions is when.  I  am not replacing it until it goes out as it costs no more then to replace than now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Time to 86 the car....

Toyota replaced the engine at 250K due to the sludge engine thing.  I still do not think it actually needed it, but the shop got toyota to pay for it (they seem to run a mill of camry's and such with that little recall effort)  

I am still driving the thing (like an 80 year old granny) and we'll see how long it goes.  I can't aford a car payment for at least 3 more years   as the wife is back in school.  A one time $1800 I can swing (it is the equivalent of only 6 months of car payments if you assume $300 a month).

The real question is new or used.  Aside from the fluid color (grit etc.) it has had two espisodes of slipping or failure to engage in gear.  Both when cold and low on fluid.  I have now quized a half a dozen shops (both dealer and independant) and gotten the same prognosis - she's gonna die.   Questions is when.  I  am not replacing it until it goes out as it costs no more then to replace than now.

I'd go used.  There are a lot of those cars out there and you should be able to find a transmission from another '98 without a problem.  I bet you can get one with around 100K maybe out of a wreaked vehicle.

Toyotas run forever.

edit....I re-read your post.  I'd opt for the used transmission that your mechanic suggested.  Of course I'd install it myself and save all that labor.  You should be able to get a good used transmission for less than $500....depending on where you live.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
NO, NO, NO..DO NOT GET A USED TRANS PUT IN THAT CAR FOR $1,800...

FOR THAT PRICE -give or take $200- YOU COULD HAVE YOUR TRANNY COMPLETELY REBUILT -AND- GET A 10K MILE /1YEAR WARRANTY!! WHY TAKE THE CHANCE WITH A USED ONE.

Make a few calls to your local trans shops and get an idea of what they charge for a complete rebuild. Our trans guy gets around $1,700 for a complete rebuild with new torque converter and a 1year/10K warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top