Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 4:59:25 PM EDT
Was driving home today, and my neighbor picked up a silver Toyota FJ! It's pretty sweet, but not cheap--to the tune of $34k.

I KNOW, this thread is worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They're cheaper than that.  Starts around 20 or 21K IIRC.

Saw one at the Chicago Auto Show.  Liked it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They're cheaper than that.  Starts around 20 or 21K IIRC.

Saw one at the Chicago Auto Show.  Liked it.

The guy was saying that his color--sort of a silver, champagne-ish color was going to be limited--and the first batch would have every option imaginable. Plus, a 1" thick waiting list made the price what it was.

ETA: i'm not saying that $34k is reasonable, or that i would even pay close to that! But if you look at the recent history of these 'novelty' cars--the Mustang, the Corvette--when they first hit the streets, they all sell for more than MSRP. I would think this thing is no different. His had skid plates, lockers, and some other interior features.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was driving home today, and my neighbor picked up a silver Toyota FJ! It's pretty sweet, but not cheap--to the tune of $34k.

And thats what they meant by reasonable

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Low supply, high demand = big markup.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Low supply, high demand = big markup.

During the auto show they touted it as VERY reasonable for the average consumer.
I'm an average consumer and would not spend 30+ thousand on it.  Its good looking, probably real reliable, etc.........I own a Toyota now.........but thats entirely too much.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe its just me but the backend looks funny...also MSRP is in the mid 20s but they are being marked up over 30k cuz the demand is so high...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i sat in a Screaming Yellow one tonight in Rockville MD

it is a very sweet looking truck.

28K bucks

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The car targets young buyers with active, outdoor lifestyles, according to Amstock. Dealers already have taken some 3,500 deposits on the new vehicles, which start at $21,710 for the automatic two-wheel drive model. A fully loaded four-wheel model will go for between $28,500 and $29,000, he said. That compares to more than 30 grand for the 4Runner and 50-plus for the Land Cruiser.

But unlike most new vehicle launches, you won't see a blitz of television commercials for the FJ.

Keeping true to its target market, FJ's marketing team is taking a grassroots approach, Amstock said. For example, trail teams will work with local off road clubs, and there will be advertising in off-road-type magazines, he said.

Toyota, whose U.S. sales, distribution and marketing unit is based in Torrance, expects to sell 46,000 FJs this year, a number primarily limited by engine availability, Amstock said.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw one today at a local toyota dealer. It was the blue/white one. Kinda fugly up close If you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
oh, its really fugly
in a very good way

its defiantly not a camry
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the dealers are taking advantage of folks.  The subsequent prices I've seen, then infact do sound reasonable.  I was totally stoked when they unvailed the design last year.  Even considered buying one, but I can't see getting away from having a truck without a bed.  I like it but not as my POV.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
So, is this another 'Caruck/ like the RAV-4 (eg truck body + 4WD & bigger tires on a sedan (Camry or Avalon) frame) or a purpose built truck?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish we in the US could get the original type Landcruisers like the rest of the world gets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wish we in the US could get the original type Landcruisers like the rest of the world gets.

yeah, me too. I saw a FJ over the weekend. Nice but I'll keep my 4runner and avoid the cost of driving around in a FJ.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I understand the FJ is just a 4runner chassis with a Retro body correct? then whats the point?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Local dealership has a very nice looking one, also silver I think (lot lights can be deceptive).  Stickers at $30k, and looks like a very good vehicle.  From the outside, looks like it should have lots of interior room, and even though it has a 239hp V6, it gets decent mileage for a mid-sized SUV.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The funny thing is that if that rediculous looking thing came from one of the Big Three, there would be numerous posts about how gay it is...but it's a Toyota so it's cool no matter how stupid it looks.

The only thing kind of cool about it is the front grill because it looks like an old one. See even the Japs compy the Amercians sometimes with the whole retro move.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The funny thing is that if that rediculous looking thing came from one of the Big Three, there would be numerous posts about how gay it is...but it's a Toyota so it's cool no matter how stupid it looks.

The only thing kind of cool about it is the front grill because it looks like an old one. See even the Japs compy the Amercians sometimes with the whole retro move.

You aren't the guy with the guy with 3 NIW Colts in your safe, afraid to shoot 'em, are you?

While i'm not sold on it's looks, i'm impressed with it's performance potential.  Toyota Landcruisers only stopped using rear lockers in '99 (or '98?), and it's good to see that as an option. Approach angles are good, and it has more space than a TJ.  How long until you see a factory model aimed directly at the Rubicon? I've already seen one with a lift. This has a good place amongst the TJ and Xterra crowd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, a four wheel drive Honda Element.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From what I understand the FJ is just a 4runner chassis with a Retro body correct? then whats the point?

I think it has better approach and departure angles,  factory sliders, optional 33" tires.

I'd still rather have an "old-school" 95-04 Tacoma for offroading though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

my thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
the FJ Cruiser is actaully pretty neat, yeah its not a HZJ79........but its better than nothing. I will buy one next year for Connie, might replace her LX470 with it

But I sure as heck wouldn't trade my 82 fj40 for one :)  (toyota treid to buy this from me last year, not a chance in hell)

older pick of my backyard.......I kinda have a thing for Land Cruisers :D  (there are 13 rolling around someplace

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Good to see IH8MUD'ers on other boards, there Landpimp!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Exactly....where is the roll cage?  Where's the removable top?

WHERE"S THE FJ 40???????????????

That thing is to FJ40s like monkeys are to sportfishing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
the FJ Cruiser is actaully pretty neat, yeah its not a HZJ79........but its better than nothing. I will buy one next year for Connie, might replace her LX470 with it

But I sure as heck wouldn't trade my 82 fj40 for one :)  (toyota treid to buy this from me last year, not a chance in hell)
pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/691553/1566988/111024839.jpg

older pick of my backyard.......I kinda have a thing for Land Cruisers :D  (there are 13 rolling around someplace
pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/691553/1150006/58389313.jpg
pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/691553/1150006/58389285.jpg

beautimus.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top