Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:40 PM EDT
I want to learn to ride, but I don't know anyone with a motorcycle.  Anyone know of any course I can take to learn the basics and stuff to get my license and also some advnaced stuff so I feel comfrotable riding?  Thanks alot guys.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to learn to ride, but I don't know anyone with a motorcycle.  Anyone know of any course I can take to learn the basics and stuff to get my license and also some advnaced stuff so I feel comfrotable riding?  Thanks alot guys.

My brother in law took a course.  I think if you do a Google search for "motorcycle safety course" you can find one in your area.  He took the course and then he went and got his "M" license.

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) riders course

http://www.msf-usa.org/
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The motorcycle course in you area is actually held on campus. The classes will alternate between the south west parking lots by Assembly Hall and some in the parking lot at the Fire Service Institute. They even provide bikes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
+984578587 on the MSF.  Find a course in your area, call them and sign up for it.  It will cost around $60 as I recall.  You'll do two evenings of classroom instruction, and one full day of riding.  At the end of the day you take a fairly easy riding test, and you're good to go to the DMV and get your M endorsement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume you are talking about learning to ride a street bike. I would recomend buying a mid-size dirt bike first. Make sure it has a standard shift pattern and a manual clutch. Then just start riding. Work on things like low speed balance, turning and most importantly learn to use both brakes properly. So what if you fall over a few times it won't hurt a dirt bike. Every thing you learn will translate to riding a street bike with ease. I think everybody should start on the dirt its safer. All my friends that went strait to street bikes, all wrecked their new bikes.One of them got hurt pretty bad.

On a side note I've had my bike endorsment since I was 16. I still have a street bike but I love to ride off road.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The motorcycle course in you area is actually held on campus. The classes will alternate between the south west parking lots by Assembly Hall and some in the parking lot at the Fire Service Institute. They even provide bikes.

Thank you kind sir
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That crash is a funny ass picture

I do all my stupid spills at low speed... nothing bruised but the ego.

+1 to get a dual sport or something you can ride off road to get the basics of handling down.  Street riding is another beast, but having the fundamentals is great!  When ti comes down to an "Oh shit" situation, having a good training will tell you WHAT to do, being comfortable with riding will ALLOW you to do it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say to get a dirtbike as well, but those can be dangerous too (that's me on the ground about 2/100ths of a second aways from getting my ass run over by the guy on the left of the picture in the first turn of my first race in the B class).

The MSF course is very highly regarded and everyone I know recommends it for new riders.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Make sure you take one of the MSF courses, and not just rely on "someone with a bike" to teach you how to ride. Most guys I know who ride bikes give me a blank stare when I ask them if they ever heard of the concept of "counter steering".
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Counter steering is all relative to your speed. Lots of guys do it that don't now they are doing it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a lot easier to start in the dirt. I second that idea.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Make sure you take one of the MSF courses, and not just rely on "someone with a bike" to teach you how to ride. Most guys I know who ride bikes give me a blank stare when I ask them if they ever heard of the concept of "counter steering".

Bingo.  Professional training is the only way to go.  Even if you're going to start with a dirt bike, take the MSF course first.  It'll save you from picking up bad habits and having to unlearn them once you take the course.  I took the course without ever sitting on a running motorcycle before, and I did fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Counter steering is all relative to your speed. Lots of guys do it that don't now they are doing it.

Until they need to react to avoid an accident. That is when they try wrestling with the bars to steer the bike, and end up eating pavement

If you going to be travelling above 10mph on your bike, you should be aware of counter steering.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#14]
You got to start early on in life.

Samuel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top