Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 3:31:10 AM EDT
Well I finally got the time to start seeing the full extent of work that would be needed on my 1967 Malibu. I started by ripping out the interior and got talked into pulling the motor! You know how those conversations go "Hell if I was you I would pull it now, we all ready have the tools out!" and "You know we have an engine stand and a lot more beer".

Well here are the results.

Here is the 327 which looks like it took the car to hell and back under a previous owner.

Man this thing is going to be fun. It has some issues but it was pretty solid and I only paid $3500 for it. It has a 12 bolt posi rear, TH350, 327 and it actually was driveable (if you don't care for living) when I bought it. It has been a hell of a week of working on these cars. Here is a sneak peek of what is also being worked on right next to this heap.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice find. I'm a big fan of the 327 motor, looks to be the correct block and heads too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice find. I'm a big fan of the 327 motor, looks to be the correct block and heads too.

From what I can tell it is all original except for the color. It was originaly Granada Gold according to the cowl tag. I am just debating if I should cram a big block in. I might just go with a 383 for now. The jury is still out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I can tell it is all original except for the color. It was originally Granada Gold according to the cowl tag. I am just debating if I should cram a big block in. I might just go with a 383 for now. The jury is still out.

I hear you, nothing beats a big block, but it depends on what you want to do with the car. I had a few Chevelles over the years, and the 383 is a great motor to build, you get small block size and big block displacement, well almost.

I built a killer 327 with high revs in mind. Not a torque monster, but it climbed up to it's red-line like an exotic car making the greatest precision sound you could get from Detroit iron. I liked to take it on the highway and let it breathe. I built the 327 because I wanted something different, I did a few 383 builds that were amazing and a big block Chevelle that was sick, but when I found a '69 Chevelle with a perfect body, I built it up with a 327 and a Muncie four speed, it was one of my favorite cars to drive because you could really wind it out.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure it's going to be a mighty fine car when you are done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like that first generation body style Chevelle (as well as the other goodies you have like that black chevelle and the third gen in the garage). Sounds like you got it for a steal! I wish driveable classics where that cheap around where I live. You can get some big inch small blocks if you've got the cash for them. Did you know they've got a 454ci small block thats not a lot more expensive than a performance built big block? They even have them as large as 482 cubes! All the displacement without the extra weight
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like that first generation body style Chevelle (as well as the other goodies you have like that black chevelle and the third gen in the garage). Sounds like you got it for a steal! I wish driveable classics where that cheap around where I live. You can get some big inch small blocks if you've got the cash for them. Did you know they've got a 454ci small block thats not a lot more expensive than a performance built big block? They even have them as large as 482 cubes! All the displacement without the extra weight

That's what I love about the color, it "looks" black but actually it's green!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 68 Impala vert, man I miss that car sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice.....I've allways had a soft spot for '67 Chevelles....dad had a '67 El Camino 396 when I was growing up, that's probably why..

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a '70 in your driveway??

My favorite Chevelle, by far is the '70 SS.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is that a '70 in your driveway??

My favorite Chevelle, by far is the '70 SS.

WIZZO

Yes it is. It is on the tail end of a restoration. We just rebuilt the whole suspension and cleaned up and painted everything. We installed 2" lowering springs and this thing is LOW! It has a new set of Boyd Smoothies in 18x9 front and 18x10 rears waiting for new rubber before they go on. The engine will be back in it soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a good looking car. I just sold my 71 Monte Carlo last summer. It was a good car, in pristine shape, but I sold it and bought a 4x4. I will get back in to the muscle car game again in the future I'm sure. My current project is restoring my grandpa's old truck. It's an 84 extended cab S-10. I fixed all the body work, lowered it, am redoing the interior, and its getting a smallblock. I know he would have wanted me to enjoy it, so that's what I will do.

For raw power, its hard to beat the good old smallblock Chevy. A friend of mine just built another motor. It's actually a 388. He got some deals on some barely used parts and finished it for abour $3,000 including fluids and the whole bit.

Keep us posted on the project!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could find one in that condition for that money around here.  All our classics are rusted out or $20,000.  I'm prepping a 67 chevelle 396, 4sp right now for paint for a customer.  Anyone know where I could get a drivers side vent window frame with the chrome in good shape?  Someone sanded into the one on the car we're working on. (No it wasn't me)  Cheapest i've found replacements was over $100!  Not trying to hi-jack your thread -- keep us posted!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top