Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 5:33:54 AM EDT
I am in need of some new riding pants. They will be used for sport/sport touring. Prefer Black. NO loud obnoxious colors and patterns.

Problem is that dealers only carry 1, maybe 2 pairs of pants due to the variety and then being stuck with them. I can't order anything online if I can't see how they fit first. So I am stuck.

I would prefer perforated leather w/armor or something along those lines. NO Joe Rocket as I just think they are garbage. NO overpants as I don't care for them.

The pants MUST fit a normal human being and not make said normal human look as if he has a load in his pants.

NO tight leather like the old days of disco. Just normal fitting quality pants.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
NO Joe Rocket as I just think they are garbage.

+1 to that

if you havent checked out new enough, its a great website for bike gear.

also ive read that if you call them up and talk to Paul, the guy that owns it, he could help you out with the sizes and they have an awesome return policy in case something doesnt fit right
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Vanson leathers..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife rides in First Gear Flightline? pants (can't remember the model, the one with the zip-off pouch). They are nice and actually are mens pants.

I wear First Gear HT Overpants, but you've ruled those out. I like them, but they are very hot in the summer.

Yes...Joe Rocket sucks. I had the old Sonic jacket by them. That is the last product of theirs I will buy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Icon TiMax pants are great.  They have the vent slots you can open in the summer and they stay pretty cool.

They fit like a pair of jeans but allow plenty of  movement.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Levis
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Assless chaps.

Oh, you mean for actually riding?

lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Vansons are top dog but expensive.

I also have found the Triumph leather to be reasonably priced and very well built.  I survived a crash in Triumphs with no injuries (plenty of damage to leathers).
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If your not using a high quality racing type leather the only other answer is AEROSTITCH
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
After rereading you post it seams the only option you have is the Dragin (sp) jeans. You are trading off quite a bit of safety to fit your criteria IMO though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Adding to the above, all my leathers are perf leathers.  They can be hot in peak summer but most of the time they are tolerable.  And you must get CE armor on the knees, hips, elbows and shoulders.  They do a lot to prevent injury.  A back plate is very uncomfortable and there's a tradeoff to be had of comfort vs. crashworthiness.

Also, don't overlook good gloves, preferably with some hard carbon fiber armor in them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If your not using a high quality racing type leather the only other answer is AEROSTITCH

OK, Aerostich are for the cruiser type crowd. Baggy, boring, but functional. Yes, they are high quality, but not my cup of tea.

After rereading you post it seams the only option you have is the Dragin (sp) jeans. You are trading off quite a bit of safety to fit your criteria IMO though

Draggin jeans? I think not! If I wanted to get an ugly pair of jeans, I would get some kevlar and sew it onto my Lee jeans, just like Draggin jeands does...

Also, don't overlook good gloves, preferably with some hard carbon fiber armor in them.

Thanks for the well meant advise, but I am not a newbie, I am just looking for some new riding pants after I decided that I wasn't willing to take the chance wearing jeans anymore. I guess getting older does come with a bit of brains after all
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
JH225, there is one other option in pants -- BMW makes a fairly impressive set of Kevlar jeans (much better than the rather sh***y draggin' jeans -- for about $300.  Not as good as leather, and not as much padding, but more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeans.  They stood up to a 100mph crash in 1968, better than I did.    

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
www.riderwearhouse.com  (Aerostich)
They are the best pants out there.
Almost all the ironbutt guys run Aerostich gear
Serious riders wear it, I think that says a lot.
And yes, I had both.
once you get an Aerostich, you won't go back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I think ICON is making some "armored" jeans.  I saw them once and my initial impression was, these look nicer than draggins, that's for sure.  They've got Kevlar in them like Draggin, but they look better, they also have some ventilation.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Levis
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay. nobody bit on my assless chaps joke.

I actually had nice BMW leathers - just the pants.

For the next setup, def. Aerostitch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

if you havent checked out new enough, its a great website for bike gear.

also ive read that if you call them up and talk to Paul, the guy that owns it, he could help you out with the sizes and they have an awesome return policy in case something doesnt fit right

+1 on New Enough. They're really good. They're very helpful with describing the fit of things and if you get something that isn't right, they'll take it back and/or trade it for the correct size. Great people.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Okay. nobody bit on my assless chaps.

Gee, I can't imagine why not....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]
For around town I wear  jeans. No special reinforcement, just plain everyday jeans. If it's cold/wet I wear a pair of pull on Spidi pants over the top of the jeans. For days when I go for a ride through the nearby hills I wear these www.tigerangel.com/toursp_mens.html (I don't know if they're available in the US, it's an Australian company). Their main office is not too far from where I live so when I bought the pants I had them alter the Dainese leather jacket I already owned to zip together with their pants and they did it at no extra charge. I had to come back a couple of days later to pick up they jacket, it wasn't a same day alteration. I bought the pants 5 or 6 years ago and I've never had a problem with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their stuff again if I needed to.

I always wear decent boots,  jacket, helmet and gloves. I never ride in shorts, sneakers, just a t-shirt or without gloves. I don't care how hot the weather is or how short the ride is, if I'm on a public road with other traffic I always have full skin coverage. A little bit of discomfort is vastly preferred over surgical skin grafts. I realise ordinary jeans don't offer a lot of protection, but it's better than no protection at all.

Edit: Tiger Angel will ship internationally, but I don't know what the shipping price will be and you won't be able to try their stuff on first.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The icon jeans are pretty comfortable.  They run weird in size though so if you go that route make sure to try on a pair before buying.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
For around town I wear  jeans. No special reinforcement, just plain everyday jeans. If it's cold/wet I wear a pair of pull on Spidi pants over the top of the jeans. For days when I go for a ride through the nearby hills I wear these www.tigerangel.com/toursp_mens.html (I don't know if they're available in the US, it's an Australian company). Their main office is not too far from where I live so when I bought the pants I had them alter the Dainese leather jacket I already owned to zip together with their pants and they did it at no extra charge. I had to come back a couple of days later to pick up they jacket, it wasn't a same day alteration. I bought the pants 5 or 6 years ago and I've never had a problem with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their stuff again if I needed to.

I always wear decent boots,  jacket, helmet and gloves. I never ride in shorts, sneakers, just a t-shirt or without gloves. I don't care how hot the weather is or how short the ride is, if I'm on a public road with other traffic I always have full skin coverage. A little bit of discomfort is vastly preferred over surgical skin grafts. I realise ordinary jeans don't offer a lot of protection, but it's better than no protection at all.

Edit: Tiger Angel will ship internationally, but I don't know what the shipping price will be and you won't be able to try their stuff on first.

Jeans offer utterly no protection.
Want proof?
Ever been walking down the sidewalk and trip and fall?
and what happens?
you skin up your knee and your jeans have a big hole in them.
Now, try going 60mph and fall
Road rash central
Get some real riding pants.  The aerostich are the best, but even Joe Rocket makes some stuff that is better than jeans.
Might as well ride naked (don't, I already have the visual. )
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#23]
If I was you, I'd ask Fast_Jimmy .    

He's the resident motorcycle authority.    

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The icon jeans are pretty comfortable.  They run weird in size though so if you go that route make sure to try on a pair before buying.

+1 Try them on before you buy! I love mine
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Synthetic Alpinestars
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Langlitz.  The last word in leathers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Levis

+1

At my size (tall not fat) I would have to have something custom made $$$$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top