Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:35:14 AM EDT
I've got my Scout in the garage so I can cut out all the rust and replace with good metal. I've been tearing out all the carpet/insulation. I've just been cutting it up and throwing it all away. I plan on using some sort of bedliner to coat the floors after I get the metal fixed up. Is the bed liner going to be enough to dampen the noise? Or should I use something else to help?

I'm not looking for a totally silent ride. Just want to be able to hear the radio without having to crank it all the way up like I had to do before putting it in the garage. Just welding in new metal should be a big help, as alot of the road/engine/exhaust noise was coming through big, gaping, rusty holes
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Is a scout kind of like a Jeep?
I have a friend who gutted his 93 Jeep wrangler interior.  He used bedliner and coated the dash, floor ceiling, everything.  It's held up real well to ALOT of abuse.  

Even with a loud exhaust (cat. convertor only and then a straight-pipe the rest of the way back) it's not too bad.  I guess it would depend on what tires you have too.  It seems like big meats/ lift kits generate more road/wind noise.  

Besides...cranking it up with some Metallica while you're doing this...

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a27/a271e61cd1104ae39b18b010f3656b54.jpg

...is good fun!   headbang.gif

If you have big rusted open holes now, fixing that will help with alot of your noise.  Do the bedliner, you'll like it.  If it's too loud for you, just put the old interior back in.  Just make sure you stick the bolts in any screw holes before you liner them over.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be more concerned with heat.  Ask a jeep owner about running without carpets sometime.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the adhesive backed dampening sheets that can be found on page 3302 of the Master Carr catalog  I use the Polymeric Mastic ones.   They work very well but it takes a while for the smell to go away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
dynamat?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Scout:

Shitty
Car
Out
Under
The
Tree

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Kooter,   WTF   call me I sell that stuff for a living.

DOH!!!

I'm just getting ideas right now. Will be awhile before I actually get to the point where I need this stuff.

Quoted:
Is a scout kind of like a Jeep?

ACK!?! It is nothing like a heep. A Scout is a mans vehicle.

Quoted:
Scout:

Shitty
Car
Out
Under
The
Tree

You've been listening to MsK too much
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I used dynamat in my truck...its pricey but it works well and it wasnt that difficult to install....In my K5 im going to use a product called Hushmat...its less expensive and works the same from what Ive seen.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dynamat?

yeah it works but is $$$$

My buddy used that and it worked great but his wallet was empty.  I tore my Intrepid down to metal: firts went with bondo(spelling??), sanded it, next was spray on rubber underbody, let it dry good, last was the roll-on bed liner. Put in 2000w of stereo and I was good to go.  With all the fumes I was high as a mofo whenever I drove it for about a 2 weeks.

If you have the money try having it done with RHINO-liner.  Heard that works god as well

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top