Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 5:44:28 PM EDT
my dad just got a 2006 Chevy Silverado and he wants to get a "Rhino" ining.  

Has anyone ever done one themselves?  He figures it'll cost $60/gallon, rather than $500 to have a pro do it.   He can either have it sprayed on or rolled on.

There are also, apparently, some "off-brand" companies that offer a product similar to the Rhino lining.

So does anyone have this in their truck? Has anyone done it themselves?

TIA

David
(Deej86)

Edit-it's a short bed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The gallon will be extremely thin and just barely enough, if it is actually enough.

We use Linex and Superior on our company trucks, with Superior being cheaper.  Rhino will turn grey and chalky much sooner than the other two.  

If you are gonna DIY, use Zolatone.  The stuff in my truck is 20 years old and looks better than any bed liner I have seen.  If you manage to scratch it, touch up or reapplication is very easy.  

If you buy a $20,000+ new truck, don't get cheap on the bed coating.  You saved enough money by not getting a V-8 and power windows to pay for the bed liner.

Lastly, at least use the bed and scratch it up prior to the coating.  That will give you time to save some extra scratch for the right stuff.

$450 is too high for a short bed.  $500 is highway robbery.  Shop around and work the dealers against each other.   All too often they get used to customers and dealers just paying full price.  A new truck is very little labor and they can do several a day.  

Possibly, your dealer may have a connection and can set something up for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The gallon will be extremely thin and just barely enough, if it is really enough.

I forgot to add(but edited it in now) that it is a short bed.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Id go linex myself
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Line-X is the bestX
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had rhino, and currently have line-X.  Both are great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I had rhino sprayed in back in 00 or 01, still holding up fine even after multiple loads of gravel and other crap.    

Dont cheap out and dick it up yourselves when you can pay someone else to dick it up for you.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had rhino sprayed in back in 00 or 01, still holding up fine even after multiple loads of gravel and other crap.    

Dont cheap out and dick it up yourselves when you can pay someone else to dick it up for you.  

+1 have them spray it in, when they sprayed the Rhino liner in my pick up they got overspray on the cab and I ended up getting the Rhino lining and a real nice detailing job free of charge  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheapo copys won't cut it.  I have a jeep wrangler and I wanted something waterproof to cover the floor.  Being a highschool student at the time I bought a couple gallons of "Duplicolor".  its been over 5 years now, and for what I used it for (interior covering) it worked fine, although I did repaint it once.  But I wouldn't even think of putting it in a tuck bed, since its basically like polymer paint, would be fairly easy to scratch off if you were hauling stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks folks.  I'll talk tomorrow with him about it.  From the answers it appears:
-either Line-X or Rhino are good
-get it installed

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had 2 trucks Rhino Lined. IT is tough and will last. Neither of mine turned chaulky. I chose Rhino over LineX because the X is hard and like sand paper. When your load slides in the bed, it will be sanded free of charge. I can put a 5 gallon bucket of whatever in the middle of my Rhino and it wont slip. Rhino has an orange peel texture and barely flexible enough to push your fingernail inot it. It will *grip* your load more than X will so it doesn't slide around.

Good stuff, I'll get it again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I am on my second truck with Rhino lining - the stuff is great Highly Recommended
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had my 2005 RAM for 8 months now and had it professionally rhino lined 2 weeks after I got it.

I have an 8 foot bed, and I had them go over the bed rails.  IIRC it was $600 for black.  

I haven't had any problems but time will be the really test.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been wanting to get my Scout Rhinolined.  The whole thing, inside and out.  I dont see becoming flush enough to do that within the next decade or so...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my 03 Ram 8' bed sprayed with Rhino lining when it was new. I was disapointed. It faded quickly even though I was promised it would not due to the "new"formula. The guys that did it were a couple of clowns. They scratched my cab with there buffer tool the tried to deny the swirl scratches under my rear window on my brand new truck came from them. Overall, after a couple years now it looks like crap. It has performed pretty well it just doesnt look so good. No Rhino lining ever again for me. What ever you decide make sure you go to a well established shop that has been in business awhile.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a 97 Dodge with a Toff spray on liner and I have a 05 Ford King Ranch with a Vortex spray on liner and both were/are great and would not own a p.u. without a spray on bed liner.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad's going to go with a conventional bedliner. Thanks for the advice anyway.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My dad's going to go with a conventional bedliner. Thanks for the advice anyway.  

Weren't there problems of the bed rusting underneath the old drop in liners?

Mine was only about $275 or so(IIRC) for the spray in. I don't remember what company the liquid came from, but a local shop did it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine was only about $275 or so(IIRC) for the spray in. I don't remember what company the liquid came from, but a local shop did it.

I tried talking my dad out of it, using this thread, but he heard that the new liners are better.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried talking my dad out of it, using this thread, but he heard that the new liners are better.  

<Shrug>  It's his truck - let him screw it up.  Personally I would rather throw a bed mat in then a drop in liner if he isn't willing the spend the $$$ on a sprayed in liner.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<Shrug>  It's his truck - let him screw it up.  Personally I would rather throw a bed mat in then a drop in liner if he isn't willing the spend the $$$ on a sprayed in liner.  

Oh wait-I screwed up-he want's a mat!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I got linex. Cost about $600 and was done in about 3 hours. I can't beleive how nice it looks. It actually looks like the metal was taken all apart, sprayed, and put back together. I really like it. I am extremely pleased.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Sheeit, he'd be better off with no bedliner than one of those plastic POS's.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#23]
#1. Line-X. Wears like iron, guaranteed forever. It's what I have on my F-350.

#2. Rhino-liner. Wears a little faster than Line-X due to being a softer compound...but things slide less than Line-X, too.

#3. Rubber mat. Helps protect the bottom of the bed very well. Doesn't cost much. Will cause rust underneath, however.

#112. Plastic insert bedliner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Love my Linex

My buddines Rhino in his Silverdao SS faded after about 4 mos.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have had 2 trucks Rhino Lined. IT is tough and will last. Neither of mine turned chaulky. I chose Rhino over LineX because the X is hard and like sand paper. When your load slides in the bed, it will be sanded free of charge. I can put a 5 gallon bucket of whatever in the middle of my Rhino and it wont slip. Rhino has an orange peel texture and barely flexible enough to push your fingernail inot it. It will *grip* your load more than X will so it doesn't slide around.

Good stuff, I'll get it again.

You can have the Line-X sprayed in really smooth with a shine to it or really rough. Just need to tell the applier how you want it.

-d
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my Line-X.  I have a buddy who had the Rhino done.  He loves my Line-X too!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Line-X is the bestX

another Line-X guy here Deej.  I love mine.  My buddy did a home job on his truck and looked horrible.  YMMV-

--VT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top