Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 2:35:08 PM EDT
My dad is a very good mechanic so a friend sold him a 1985 jeep cherokee with a V-6 engine that had some problems.  He has been tinkering with it and seems to have some problems with the electric and vacuum.  Does any one know were or how I can get a complete wiring schematic that includes the brain and the OHM readings and a complete vacuum diagram.  He is taking care of my son on SS and realy needs to get this car running.  If some one has this and could help please IM me.  Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
 YOur "best" bet is probably to buy any or all three (which is better because you can cross reference) of the following:

A Chilton's manual covering the specific model years of the Cherokee

A Hayne's manual that does the same

OR the factory service manual.

On the Chilton or Haynes manuals; you can often find these discounted at large used book stores but new ones are available at Auto Zone, pep Boys, Checker Auto, etc.  Here in Arizona we have a huge used bookseller that carries MANY older  Chilton's and Hayne's manuals and they are sold at a pretty large discount. If you can find one that was printed around the years near your vehicle's date of manufacture it should have pretty fair diagrams of the wiring and the vacuum systems and harnesses.

You local Jeep dealer may be able to help you locate a technical service manual that covers those years.  The older ones aren't too expensive.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
What problems is he having? I have spent a lot of time working on a 87 and 90 XJ. The 87 has a vacuum can behind the right side of the front bumper. It tends to become disconnected.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
factory service manual. everything else is cliff notes
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The Vacuum disconnect on the axle is trouble. It will disengage at WOT and other inoportune times. I replaced mine with the solid axle on the passengers side off of a later cherokee. The 2.8 six is worthless. The GM 4 is nearly as powerful and is a much longer lived motor. It took two 2.8's to get 150K out of the last cherokee. 4.0 wont fit due to bolt pattern on the Trans or the length of the engine bay.

AR15.com of XJ Jeeps
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an '86 with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder.  It had a ton of electrical problems. I'd make friends with someone that works in a shop that can print you out some AllData schematics.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much for the suggestion I am going to send my sister who lives in TX a e-mail to see if she can go to Half Prics Books and get dad a Chilton since he has a Hanes and says "These fin Hanes manuals realy are chrap I can't stand them.  He says that when he tryed to get a Chilton e was told they are not printing them anymore.  I have been unsuccessful in locating one as of yet I am going to go to the public library on monday to see if they have one that I can copy the things I need out of since my school library did not have what I needed.  Thanks to all who responded.

Quoted:
 YOur "best" bet is probably to buy any or all three (which is better because you can cross reference) of the following:

A Chilton's manual covering the specific model years of the Cherokee

A Hayne's manual that does the same

OR the factory service manual.

On the Chilton or Haynes manuals; you can often find these discounted at large used book stores but new ones are available at Auto Zone, pep Boys, Checker Auto, etc.  Here in Arizona we have a huge used bookseller that carries MANY older  Chilton's and Hayne's manuals and they are sold at a pretty large discount. If you can find one that was printed around the years near your vehicle's date of manufacture it should have pretty fair diagrams of the wiring and the vacuum systems and harnesses.

You local Jeep dealer may be able to help you locate a technical service manual that covers those years.  The older ones aren't too expensive.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top