Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
Mach I  "Twister Special" Aside from the fact that they are worth only what someone will pay, has anyone seen one sell...ever?

My family owns one of the above.  It needs restored (assembly and paint).  No rust.  It can be restored to original all matching#'s as most hard to find parts have been located and bought.  It still has the original motor and tranny (4-spd).  We have located the correct distributor, intake manifold, carb, and smog pump as that is most of what was missing when it was converted to a "race car". I also have a folder of paperwork that documents the car from conception.  The car is 1 of 24 built with a 428 and a 4-spd and 1 of 11 known to still exist though I have heard that 1 of 5 left is more than likely.

I have a guesstimate of what it is worth restored but have yet to find a price for which one has sold.  Are there any muscle car guys out there that may have an idea or link on such a beast and what they may be worth?

Also if anyone knows of a website that I could post the same question on, I would appreciate that also.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Check eBay for some values, then for a local value, drop by 10-20%.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Try this out.
http://www.nadaguides.com/autohome2.aspx?Lnk=1&wSec=10&wPr=0&wPg=2111
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check eBay for some values, then for a local value, drop by 10-20%.  

I've tried E-bay but I found "0" values for a "Twister Special".  Rarely do you see a "collector" or "muscle car's" value determined by location when it is 1 of 11 known to exist. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a mopar guy, so twister special means nothing to me, heck, I would probably daily it!.  If it is 1:11, then it is probably worth quite alot, like striker said, try for a Twister Registry.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With the way Barrett-Jackson has driven up the price of muscle cars..you could be sitting on a gold mine.

Thanks Striker, Barrett-Jackson is the ultamate goal.  I just need to get a baseline dollar figure to start a resto with.  Allthough my family is no stranger to rare muscle cars, this one is quite a bugger to nail down.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check with any National Mustang club and do a search for a Twister Registry as I read in one of my old Muscle Car Review (or like magazine) that there was a Registry some time ago.  Sorry I can't be of more help but you have a rare car there and treat it as such!

The funny thing is that we are not FORD guys.  We always bought mostly GM muscle cars (COPO camaros, vette's, aluminum head 396/375hp Chevelle's, 425hp Impalas convert & hardtop, and a LS6 El Camino, all factory stuff.  This one is a different breed for sure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If I remember right the Twister Special originated in the Kansas City area or in Kansas for some dealers, which would make sense as it's close to you in Nebraska.  IIRC they also made the Twister Special in other models other than Mustang...like a Torino or Cyclone.  I bet you wished you still had the COPO's and the other Chevies you mentioned!

You always regret selling anything like that.  But, at the time the market was going soft and daddy had bills to pay.  I believe recently that a "lost" ZL-1 Camaro was found in a wharehouse in Omaha 1or 2 years ago and we were the 2nd in line.  That is what hurts. LOL!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
check out the "official site" here

hmmm, about $3,467.57 new minus depreciation. I'll give ya tree fiddy for it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice car! ...  I'm a Ford man too ... here are my two Mavericks ....

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Check with any National Mustang club and do a search for a Twister Registry as I read in one of my old Muscle Car Review (or like magazine) that there was a Registry some time ago.  Sorry I can't be of more help but you have a rare car there and treat it as such!

Thank you, I will check on that ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
check out the "official site" here

hmmm, about $3,467.57 new minus depreciation. I'll give ya tree fiddy for it!

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The red one is a Factory Grabber ....   They yellow one just has a Grabber hood and Rear spoiler on it but not factory ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top