Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 11:30:44 AM EDT
My buddy let me take it for a drive first and I wasnt impressed really.

Then about a half hour later we both happened to be leaving the DZ at the same time. The road out is about a mile long, die straight and no cars on it. He had a two car head start and we rolled on at about 20mph. I just reeled him in, no problem, I even short shifted first.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow man!  Captain Pooby, skydiver and streetracer extraordinare!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I found out the hard way that a C5 vert is faster than my Lightning
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Really? On the corvette forum people are wary of the Lightning. You could beat a stock C5, from what I hear it's up to the driver.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? On the corvette forum people are wary of the Lightning. You could beat a stock C5, from what I hear it's up to the driver.

Yah, but I was pushing 5100 pounds at the time, no mods and 200 pounds in wheels.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't think a stock Lightning would take a stock C5, especially on a run longer than the quarter mile, drivers being equal w/ a fair start.   With a few mods the Lightning can flat move out for a truck though.  Or is this Lightning in question modded some now and I just don't know it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My friend thinks the 350Z is the most powerful one.

I drove one, was somewhat nice but not for the price asked
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wouldnt even put one on my maybe list if I was shopping. It was no contest besides, parts availalability and cost would be prohibitive as well.

Get the Vette.

As far as the Lightning goes, I just know some guys on the vette forum think they are not to be taken lightly. I personally dont know much about them. It's a blown truck right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldnt even put one on my maybe list if I was shopping. It was no contest besides, parts availalability and cost would be prohibitive as well.

Get the Vette.

As far as the Lightning goes, I just know some guys on the vette forum think they are not to be taken lightly. I personally dont know much about them. It's a blown truck right?

Yea, it's a super-charged P/U.

When I had my 2004 RAM SRT-10, there was always great discussion as to which truck was faster. Of course, these are hot-rods, not sports-cars or muscle-cars. The SRT-10 with the Viper drive-train had the edge.

I had a 2002 C5 and it was very fast (350HP/365ft-lbs) - damn nice car.

I now have a 2005 Mustang GT which is rated at 300HP/325ft-lbs and I can feel the difference from the 'Vette. The RAM SRT-10 was just nuts at 505HP/525ft-lbs.

I just got a CAI/tuner kit for the Mustang - C&L CAI and SCT X-CAL2 tuner. This is supposedly going to give me 30HP/40ft-lbs at the rear wheels which I suppose translates into about 50HP/60ft-lb  at the crank - just wondering if this is going to give me some of the old 'Vette feeling? I love this car just as much as I did the Corvette.

I don't miss the SRT-10 at all - just a nuts vehicle/hot-rod that was just not a whole lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#9]
A hardtop C5 should be capable of mid to low 13s in the 1/4 mile.
I think that the Lightning should be high 13s.  I guess if you had a stickshift C5 convertible you might get taken by the Lightning.

Pooby, you need to get that car to the track and see what kind of 1/4 mile times you're running.  The track in Bradenton is fantastic and I don't think it's too far from you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the Vette owners are weary of the Lightning because with a different pulley and a chip you could easily be tapping a whole helluva lot of boost/power.

Outwardly, it would look stock, but in theory it could have quite a bit more umph under the hood.

Stock to stock, I'd think it would come down to who hooked up better on the line -- and the edge might go to the Ford since it's got an automatic tranny.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Never raced a 350z, but I did dust a c5 with stock busa one time, no real comparison though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the Vette owners are weary of the Lightning because with a different pulley and a chip you could easily be tapping a whole helluva lot of boost/power.

Outwardly, it would look stock, but in theory it could have quite a bit more umph under the hood.

Stock to stock, I'd think it would come down to who hooked up better on the line -- and the edge might go to the Ford since it's got an automatic tranny.

Correct on the first two. Not sure about the last. In a short enough race, with equal traction, they would be close to equal, but the Lightning cant last against a sports car once the aerodyamics factor rears its ugly head.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the Vette.

For me to get one it would have to be far cheaper then I will ever see one.  

Still looking at the vette or maybe GTO.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think that the Lightning should be high 13s.  I guess if you had a stickshift C5 convertible you might get taken by the Lightning.

Pooby, you need to get that car to the track and see what kind of 1/4 mile times you're running.  The track in Bradenton is fantastic and I don't think it's too far from you.

It's a 13 second car with a 16 second driver!

I did three passes in Lakeland at the Corvette Challenge a month ago. 1/8th mile and I was doing high nines at 90 something, not very good at all and it wasnt the car.

It was my first time at a drag strip and I was so nervous I forgot to shift on my first pass and hit the rev limiter. It was all I could do to stage!

I could smell clutch after every run and I was getting worried about wrecking my new car. My car is fast, I'm not.

I did learn one thing about my reaction times.. not to wait for the green.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My friends C5 runs low 13s, and its an auto
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They do run faster than the M6. With a high stall and line lock it's easy. It aint easy launching a 350HP car with a stock clutch and run flat tires.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do run faster than the M6. With a high stall and line lock it's easy. It aint easy launching a 350HP car with a stock clutch and run flat tires.

He let me drive his vette but didnt let me really drive it hard.

I still need to replace my car
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a vette man, you wont regret it.

Oh wait, it's you, maybe YOU will.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a vette man, you wont regret it.

Oh wait, it's you, maybe YOU will.

I need something to motivate me and get me to get it.  I was hoping on my car getting stolen, but it didnt happen the other day.  If its not there then I will have to get something, until them I will drag my ass.

Before I get a car I need to learn to drive a damn manaul but dont know anyone with one
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Go to video.ls1tech.com/ and check out some of the sweet videos of LS1/LS2 powered Fbodies, GTOs, and Vettes.  That always fires me up, lots of cool race videos, clips of different exhaust setup sounds, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a 13 second car with a 16 second driver!

I did three passes in Lakeland at the Corvette Challenge a month ago. 1/8th mile and I was doing high nines at 90 something, not very good at all and it wasnt the car.

It was my first time at a drag strip and I was so nervous I forgot to shift on my first pass and hit the rev limiter. It was all I could do to stage!

I could smell clutch after every run and I was getting worried about wrecking my new car. My car is fast, I'm not.

I did learn one thing about my reaction times.. not to wait for the green.

You shoulda seen my first time in my GTO, I got sideways, both ways!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The last time a Z had more horses than a Corvette was comparing a 1990TT vs a base model 1990 Corvette..Nowadays the Z's horsepower is more comparable to an Eclipse........a Freaking Eclipse!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't miss the SRT-10 at all - just a nuts vehicle/hot-rod that was just not a whole lot of fun.

How can you say that I look like this everytime I drive Mine
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How can you say that I look like this everytime I drive Mine

I should have said "not as much as fun as the 'Vette or Mustang".

Just not my kind of ride, I guess - I must just be a wimp.

I really enjoy the old muscle-car look of the Mustang. Doesn't have the old feel - I had a '69 Z-28 Camero - just not the same with the new technology - the Mustang is fast, fun, looks great, and is priced right.

I've found that you don't have to break the bank to have a nice ride these days and doing some after-market modifications is half of the fun.

The SRT-10 is one HELL of a vehicle, though - aluminum 505HP V-10/Tremic T6 six-speed/22" wheels with Perelli Scorpions/Infiniti sound system - damn thing will beat you to death on a long trip with those skinny tires, though, you feel EVERY bump - definitely a track vehicle.

I had put a K&N CAI on mine for a few more HP and the sound - makes it sound even meaner.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I beat a automatic 350Z with my manual 04 Mach 1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Never raced a 350z, but I did dust a c5 with stock busa one time, no real comparison though.

They still don't get it.........Once the weather warms up out will come the ZX12R and the fun begins........
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They still don't get it.........Once the weather warms up out will come the ZX12R and the fun begins........

I dont get it? I was bike mechanic for nearly twenty years. I built a couple that raced the 200 miler.

I get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top