Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
20,000 is not even broken in.

Please be specific on what type of bike it is.

Also, remember maintenance on a bike is different than on a car.

More details are required for a more detailed answer.

Remember, bike are built to be ridden, not stored.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, looking for a commuter?

Look for a high mileage BMW (50,000+) they are good for over 200,000.  An "R"  series bike will provide you with sporty looks and Boxer goodness

There should be something in the DFW / North Texas area for you.  Simple as a VW to work on, and just as durable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people will tell you that since they're exposed to such high RPMs, etc. that they don't typically last as long as car engines. This has been debated often however, and I think the general consensus is that as long as you take care of your motorcycle it will last for a very long time (upwards of 100,000 miles).

Change the oil, coolant, etc. and you'll probably get bored with that particular bike long before it blows up on you. And in regards to your last post, if you're commuting i'd looking into older model ZX-6Rs and CBR600s. They have slightly more relaxed riding positions. The newer model 600s are very race oriented in seating position and it might not be very pleasant to ride over long distances. I have a 2003 Kwak 6R and riding from Richmond to DC kills my wrists. Hope this helps.

Billy
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My 84 Goldwing has over 100,000 mils on it and it looks and rubns like new.  My 79 Wing has 50,000 miles on it and my 85 Sabre has 40,000 miles.  I wouldn't hesitate to ride coast to coast on any of them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:33:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My 97 YZF750R has 65,000 miles on it. Has been taken to 13,500rpm and held there MANY times and no issues (close to teh limiter though). Oil is changed every 2-3K miles.

Bikes will last as long as you take care of them. Some are more maintanance needy than others, but genreally if you maintain, they run forever. Definately check out the model and year of the bike you like on the net and see if theres any quirks that they might have and if you could live with that quirk.

Tourbikes (wings, bimmers, touring HD's) usually see 100K routinely. Sportbikes are lucky to make 50K since a good number get totalled by 10K. HD's and their custom clones (softtails and rigids here) rarely see 5K since most are either trailered or ridedn maybe 500 miles a year by some poser. These are just generalities. Theres a guy who had a story in Cycle World that has 200K VERIFIED miles on his 95 Honda CBR900RR.

EDIT:  Mbsk, thats not a dumb question. Far as I'm concerned thats a legit question.
A dumb question is "I just bought my first bike, A 2006 R1 and I want to know if I can wheelie it with less than 100 miles and how to wheelie?". Thats a dumb question. Sadly I;ve seen similar ones many many MANY times along with "Is a GSXR750 a good first bike?". Out of 100 replies to that one, 99 say no. But 1 other new rider comes out and says yes and thats all the kid wanted was someone else to agree with him. Never mind the 99 others who many have been riding for YEARS recommend. Then about 2 weeks later we get a post "I need a new lower, upper and tail plastic for my new GSXR750". Sorry for the rant. Its just something that irks me when I see those.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
<---- 40,000 on my 91 Honda VFR750F and still going strong.

Edit to add:
Tons of VFR's go 100k +. As far as the 600's most don't make it past 10k but that is mainly due to the rider.

Edit to add;

If you want a 600 take a look at the newer 600F4I. Seating position is much better suited for a commuter.

Samuel

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
While motocycles are high-strung, they don't have to pull around a lot of load. Couple that with the fact that there are very few places that you can actually hold the throttle open for long periods of time without wadding your bike up and it's easy to see why they last as long as they do. A modern sport bike will flip itself over before you get to full throttle and rpm from a dead stop, so unless you have a really clear road... It used to be a big deal when a 1000cc bike did wheelies on their own in first gear, now 600's do them in second and 1000's do it in third-and you better watch your ass cresting a rise in 4th on the gas-there's not much scarier than a 140-150mph tankslapper....

Then there's engineering.... And Metallurgy. Cars have Pig-Iron heads, shitty engine management, and basically haven't changed much in 50 years. Bikes on the other hand have things like linerless cylinders, titanium valves and springs, 3d ignition mapping, 4 and 5 valve heads, showerhead throttle bodies, servo controlled valves in the exhaust and airbox, shim under bucket valves, slipper clutches and on and on. A motorcycle engine is what a car company would design if they weren't trying to force you to buy a new one in 2 years. It's like comparing diamonds and gravel.

Sport Rider did a test of a 100,000 mile CBR900rr years ago. It made a few more peak hp than a new one did with a little loss in the midrange. It had gone through a few starters in it's life, that's it. Motorcyclist magazine used to do a 24 hour Endurance Racing test on 750cc bikes when they would come out, then tear them down and see if they could find anything wrong. They stopped doing it after 2 or 3 years because the GSXR's and FZR's were like brand new and the only things that got replaced during the 24 hour tests were tires.

As long as a bike looks like the owner took care of it on the outside, I wouldn't hesitate to buy as used bike. There are no Junk bikes made anymore, so as long as it wasn't crashed and repaired you should be good to go.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Try the Suzuki SV650.

That's a long commute for a bike. I don't think you'll do it very often and not in weather. With that in mind I suggest the SV650 as a fun bike to fun-ride around on the weekends and that can do the commute as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
all my bikes get the piss ridden out of them.One was a Harley that was sold at 60kplus.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Hard to go wrong with most Hondas. There's a good reason Honda's number one in overall sales numbers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#13]
1) park it out of sun/weather
2) keep oil/coolant/air in it
3) keep it clean
4) don't flog the hell out of it
5) try to keep the "rubber side" down
No secrets. Jap bikes will last long enough for someone to think you're an old fart for still riding it.
Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
all my bikes get the piss ridden out of them.One was a Harley that was sold at 60kplus.

But... but... I heard that H-D odometers only go to 10,000
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I ride an 03 Honda Nighthawk 750. infact I rode it today.

you are talking 110 miles a DAY on a bike for you commute. Dude thats alot of riding. I dunno that I'd wanna do that on a starter type bike.

don't buy too much bike right off.  also take into consideration insurance costs. my nighthawk is in the same insurance catagory as a 750-800 cc v twin cruiser. insurance is $300 for a year full coverage my crappy driving record factored in.

a 55 mile ride is fairly long you butt will get sore FAST.

If i were you I'd look at something like kawasaki vulcan 750 equipped with a good windsheild. suzuki's also has a shaft drive 805 cc cruiser. i think its the m50 or something.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to own a vulcan 750, and the riding position basically places all your weight on your tailbone.  The feet forward riding position of many cruisers isn't ideal for highway riding.  I think the 599 would be a good choice, although a windshield might be a very good idea.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to commute that far stay away from the cruisers and radical sport bikes.  The seating position just won't work.   The 599 or Suzuki SV650 would be good.

I like BMW and a good used R1100 or R850 would be a great bike for commuting.  A used K75RT would be great commuter bike and they are bulletproof, low maintence and not very expensive.

Get something with a small faring or windshield.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Look for a high mileage BMW (50,000+) they are good for over 200,000.  An "R"  series bike will provide you with sporty looks and Boxer goodness

Simple as a VW to work on, and just as durable.

except for those pesky final drive faiures!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if he wants "boring" let him ride in a cage!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no evidence that its a weak link.  Just something for the non Beemer riders to complain about.  Consider that every single model with exception to the f650 has the shaft drive for the past 10years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#21]
That's not a dumb question.  Technology keeps getting better and the motorcyle market is VERY competitive.  Just like the gun market in my opinion, nobody 'can' make something bad or  they will be bankrupt in 6 months.

I  was  looking  for  a bike a month ago or so.  I bought a VStar1100.   What I found is that people liked different things about different bikes,  but almost no one mentioned anything about reliability.  i think between brands it is a non issue anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's not a dumb question.  Technology keeps getting better and the motorcyle market is VERY competitive.  Just like the gun market in my opinion, nobody 'can' make something bad or  they will be bankrupt in 6 months.

I  was  looking  for  a bike a month ago or so.  I bought a VStar1100.   What I found is that people liked different things about different bikes,  but almost no one mentioned anything about reliability.  i think between brands it is a non issue anymore.

Exactly. I hear kids dog on HD's with the BS "HD's breakdown alot". Well stock for stock they are just as reliable as Hondas cruisers and touring bikes. When they start modding their HD's with parts that they really dont match up, then you stat having issues.

But yet the most common make to have mechanical failures on the rides I'm on? Suzuki GSXR's. Funny though isnt it? Same people who dog on HD's old troubled past (AMF years) just had their suzuki die on the road. Then again when you compare these kids who only ride 3,000 miles a year max vs a few HD guys I ride with who put 40,000+ a year on its a complete joke.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a CBR600 F3, I would ride it from Richmond to Charlottesville (roughly 60 miles, interstate driving), every so often to visit a friend, and I'd get off and just about need to take a nap to recover. Definitely agree that some sport bikes are not suited to commuting!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. I hear kids dog on HD's with the BS "HD's breakdown alot". Well stock for stock they are just as reliable as Hondas cruisers and touring bikes. When they start modding their HD's with parts that they really dont match up, then you stat having issues.

But yet the most common make to have mechanical failures on the rides I'm on? Suzuki GSXR's. Funny though isnt it? Same people who dog on HD's old troubled past (AMF years) just had their suzuki die on the road. Then again when you compare these kids who only ride 3,000 miles a year max vs a few HD guys I ride with who put 40,000+ a year on its a complete joke.

And HD's are about the only ones you can ride for 10 years and get what you paid for them....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 And HD's are about the only ones you can ride for 10 years and get what you paid for them....

I would never count on that. The balloon can bust. Just depends if HD's popularity takes a dive in the future. Hard to say whats gonna happen in 10 yrs.

BTW where in WI are you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Based on your current needs, I'd go with a 599, SV650(S), or an FZ6.  If you wanna go zipping along and hang with the 600 sportbikes, I'd go with the Yamaha.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
This is true... I am in Hudson... You??
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Pretty much as far away from Hudson as you can get, Racine.  Be sure to check out the hometown forum if you haven't alredy done so.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Been through Hudson MANY times on my way to teh TC's. I'm on the other end of I-90 heading south of Madison,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top