Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 7:56:16 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a used Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.  What are the differences in them?  I'd like to stay at about $5,000.  I want 4wd.  Is the straight 6 better than the 8?  The ones I seen in that price range have been mid 90s models, for reference.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Platform basically.  The GC is built on Jeeps ZJ platform.  The Cherokee is on the XJ platform.  The 4.0 six is a great motor I have heard.  It's tried and true, AMC used to use them in their Eagle/Concord models back in the early 80's.  The 5.2L is another tried and true Chrysler V-8.  What exactly are you going to use it for?  If you don't need a huge SUV then get the Cherokee.  It'll do everything you want it to do.  If you want big, then get the Grand Cherokee.  Hope this helps.  Also, check Autotrader.com or Ebay, there are bargains to be had.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Grand Cherokee is more luxury, soccor mom type SUV. While the Cherokee is more of actually built to be used SUV. If you plan on lifting and mudding with it, get the Cherokee. More parts are available for engine performance, suspension, exterior etc.  Not to mention the XJ is tough as nails, it's almost impossible to kill one.

The 4.0 HO I-6 is a very tough engine, the transmissions are built very well. I understand the 5 spd to be better than the automatic transmission.  The 4.0 has tons of low end torque, which is inherent to inline 6's anyway not to mention dependability.  My 94 Cherokee with 4.0/5spd went 202k with just normal parts replacement. I replaced battery, starter, alternator, belts etc. Never had any major engine repairs. It didn't smoke at all during the time.

Grand Cherokee is a soccor mom SUV in my opinion. Get the XJ. I've yet to meet a Jeep owner that wasn't sad to see it go and the Liberty was a piss poor attempt at a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with the "base" Cherokee and get the I-6.  Great vehicles and virtually bulletproof.  I see many of them on jobsites that have literally 100s of thousands of miles on them and are beat to shit, but keep right on trucking getting their owners and tools to work every day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The 4.7 they put in the GC in 99 or 00 is a pretty nice engine, too. I'm happy with mine (not in a Jeep). Supposedly the automatic tranny they designed specifically for the 4.7 has 2 2nd gears. Just more useless trivia from me
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Grand Cherokee is more luxury, soccor mom type SUV

Spoken like someone who has never taken a GC off road

I've had 3 Cherokees and currently own a GC. UNLESS you are planning to lift and modify it and do SERIOUS rock crawling / off roading, the GC will go anywhere a regular Cherokee will, and do it more comfortably and just as competently. It handles on pavement better and has a much smoother ride on pavement.

I've had my GC pretty much everywhere I ever took my Cherokee. Same with my son (he's also had both).

I would stick with the 4.0 6 cyl unless you need to tow something heavy. The V8 sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. My 6 gets 24+ cruising down the highway at 70.

Whatever you get, do NOT get the permanent full time 4wd.

The only thing I don't like about the GC - There has never been a REALLY good outside spare tire carrier.

I live in the Sierra Nevada mtns and spend probably 1/4 - 1/3 my driving time either in snow or on dirt roads / trails.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 94 Cherokee with 4.0/5spd went 202k with just normal parts replacement. I replaced battery, starter, alternator, belts etc. Never had any major engine repairs. It didn't smoke at all during the time.

what happened to it? Wrecked ?

Decided I wanted a new truck. Just parked it. Sold it a few weeks ago after it sat for a year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got back after spending a day out looking for a Jeep.....I prefer a Cherokee or Cherokee Sport, but I did look at some Grands also........my only limitation was I HAD to have a 6 cylinder, because gas isn't getting any cheaper....this is what I saw....and by the way, I live in the Cleveland, OH area.......the first one I looked at was a '94 Cherokee.....103K mi., and the guy was asking $3,600.....I think I can get him down to around $3k cash.....the Jeep looked great, interior was immaculate, and there were a few dings on the grill from road stones, the under body looked great, just a little surface rust from our bad Cleveland winters and road salt......I looked at a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 127k mi, and the guy said, with a straight face, $8900.....I almost choked and walked away, (but it looked good)........looked at another '94 next for $3695, 170k mi,......I said "Thanks but no thanks".......I test drove a '94 Grand next.......113k mi, and she wanted $4295....I offered $3500 cash she said ok, but when I drove it, the engine was rough, the tires were bad, and the rear passenger door wouldn't close properly........
   So, what'd I learn?.....I know that Jeeps retain their value well, and can get TONS of miles on them.......but I know what I want, and what I can afford, and I just can't justify spending $4-5000 dollars on a vehicle with 150K mi or more.....I need to get at least 5 yrs out of whatever I buy, so I need to be very sure I get a good one.......I believe I will go back to the very first '94 and offer him $3,000 cash, and go from there.....at 12 yrs old and 103k mi, that's less than 1,000 miles a month, so I think that Jeep is possibly the one for me.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If your plan is to save money on gas by buying a Jeep inline 6 then you're going to be in for a very rude awakening.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If your plan is to save money on gas by buying a Jeep inline 6 then you're going to be in for a very rude awakening.

That is a good point. While they aren't horrible, they aren't economy either. My Cherokee got about the same mileage as my 05 Chevy Silverado that I bought......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a good point. While they aren't horrible, they aren't economy either. My Cherokee got about the same mileage as my 05 Chevy Silverado that I bought......

I realize that an inline 6 is no rice burning 4 banger.......I was hoping for gas milage similar to my '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager, with a 3.3L V6........I just figured that 6 cylinders won't burn as much as 8.......but, I just got a call from one of the dealers I went to in my post above, and he says he just took in an '01 Cherokee Sport, which was leased, one owner, 110k mi, and he'll give it to me for $5,000....sounds good.....I will be checking it out tomorrow.....if it's as pretty and solid as I'm hoping, I'll be buying it......I'll definitely update this tomorrow.......
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that an inline 6 is no rice burning 4 banger.......I was hoping for gas milage similar to my '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager, with a 3.3L V6........I just figured that 6 cylinders won't burn as much as 8.......but, I just got a call from one of the dealers I went to in my post above, and he says he just took in an '01 Cherokee Sport, which was leased, one owner, 110k mi, and he'll give it to me for $5,000....sounds good.....I will be checking it out tomorrow.....if it's as pretty and solid as I'm hoping, I'll be buying it......I'll definitely update this tomorrow.......

I usually got 19 or 20 if I was on the highway and 15-16 in the city, sometimes less depending on how I drove it.    Still better than 4-6 mpg which what my Firebird does, but that could be the M-22 4spd and 4.11s.......
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone once said..."if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"......well......Mr Car Dealer told me what I wanted to hear, just to get me to come back, then tried to add another $1750 to the price.........what a dope......oh well, the search continues....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting a used Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.  What are the differences in them?  I'd like to stay at about $5,000.  I want 4wd.  Is the straight 6 better than the 8?  The ones I seen in that price range have been mid 90s models, for reference.

Thanks.

Go for the Cherokee, no question it's a more durable rig. The 4.0 Litre 6 cyl is bulletproof as is the AW-5 auto transmission and the transfer case. On The Grand Cherokee the 8 cyl engines....well they make good boat anchors. They are also independent front suspension, which sucks out loud compared to the Cherokees' straight axle. Think lever and fulcrum.

I drive a 1990 Cherokee that has 250 thousand miles on it and it's still running strong! I keep the mobile 1 in it changed and the filter changed. I'd drive it cross country right now.

The XJ's after 98 are not quite as tough as the models that preceeded them from 88 up.

Grand Cherokees are for soccer moms and are suited best for 4 wheeling around your newly mown back yard.

Cherokees RULE!!

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Someone once said..."if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"......well......Mr Car Dealer told me what I wanted to hear, just to get me to come back, then tried to add another $1750 to the price.........what a dope......oh well, the search continues....

That sucks. Keep looking they are out there. You won't regret it, I would have bought another one if Jeep still made them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I drive a 1990 Cherokee that has 250 thousand miles on it and it's still running strong! I keep the mobile 1 in it changed and the filter changed. I'd drive it cross country right now.

The XJ's after 98 are not quite as tough as the models that preceeded them from 88 up.

Why are the one made after 98 not as tough as the ones made before?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks. Keep looking they are out there. You won't regret it, I would have bought another one if Jeep still made them.

WOOHOO!!!! I  FOUND ONE!!!........I feel like climbing a mountain and shouting that out loud!!...I feel like I've been looking forever......and it's only been a 2 1/2 week search......I  spoke to my private lender, and okayed a slightly larger loan than I originally wanted, but it seem to have paid off for me......here's what I got......2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport....4.0L, 6 cyl, 4WD.....Loaded, power everything, (windows, door locks, PS, PB), Alarm, AM/FM/Cassette/CD with a 3 band EQ, tinted glass, alloy wheels, step up bars, not a scratch on it, immaculate interior, and here's the kicker.......ONLY 69,000 miles......for $7600 out the door........a little more than I wanted to spend, but HEY! I DESERVE IT.....lol....besides, I make pretty good money, and I'm putting $4k down on it, so it'll be paid off by Christmas......so   I'm a Happy ARFcommer at this moment.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOOHOO!!!! I  FOUND ONE!!!........I feel like climbing a mountain and shouting that out loud!!...I feel like I've been looking forever......and it's only been a 2 1/2 week search......I  spoke to my private lender, and okayed a slightly larger loan than I originally wanted, but it seem to have paid off for me......here's what I got......2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport....4.0L, 6 cyl, 4WD.....Loaded, power everything, (windows, door locks, PS, PB), Alarm, AM/FM/Cassette/CD with a 3 band EQ, tinted glass, alloy wheels, step up bars, not a scratch on it, immaculate interior, and here's the kicker.......ONLY 69,000 miles......for $7600 out the door........a little more than I wanted to spend, but HEY! I DESERVE IT.....lol....besides, I make pretty good money, and I'm putting $4k down on it, so it'll be paid off by Christmas......so   I'm a Happy ARFcommer at this moment.....

Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats!

Thank  you!!.....I'm sure I'll have many good years of use from my new Jeep.......
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats!

Thank  you!!.....I'm sure I'll have many good years of use from my new Jeep.......

Oh, and sorry for hijacking this thread with my talk about my purchase......I realize it was about the difference between Cherokees and Grands.......but, I was so happy, I just had to tell everyone.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn,why does everybody gotta put the Liberty down! I like mine,it's got a helluva lot more room than the ol' Cherokee(and I like the ol' XJ!)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#22]
the cherokee is  a  unibody also.  I  think  the grand cherokee has a  frame.  Correct me if  I am wrong.

ETA: nevermind looks like  they are both unibodies
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Most of the Grand Cherokee's I see are driven by executive-types flying along at 80-plus mph while using cellphones.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Good deal Jarhead. Glad to see you found one, they are fun. I think the newer like you bought have independent front suspension versus the old 4 link solid axle the older XJ's had.

As far as bagging on the Liberty......They are nice. They are nice looking. But if Jeep was looking for a replacement for the XJ (which i dont know if they were or weren't) they didn't do a very good job. Honestly if they had just kept the 4.0 in it and not made it more of a luxury suv I'd be completely o.k. with it. But I think they used the v6 that they put in their mini vans and I just don't see the Liberty being able to take the amount of abuse the old XJ could.

I agree with you on the Grand Cherokee and the executives. I'd imagine if you tried to off road at all with a Grand Cherokee you'd end up stuck in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Good deal Jarhead. Glad to see you found one, they are fun. I think the newer like you bought have independent front suspension versus the old 4 link solid axle the older XJ's had.

As far as bagging on the Liberty......They are nice. They are nice looking. But if Jeep was looking for a replacement for the XJ (which i dont know if they were or weren't) they didn't do a very good job. Honestly if they had just kept the 4.0 in it and not made it more of a luxury suv I'd be completely o.k. with it. But I think they used the v6 that they put in their mini vans and I just don't see the Liberty being able to take the amount of abuse the old XJ could.

I agree with you on the Grand Cherokee and the executives. I'd imagine if you tried to off road at all with a Grand Cherokee you'd end up stuck in the woods.

Maniac, the 3.7 IIRC is a variation of the 4.7L V-8 and the only applications they use it in are the base Ram pickup, and the newer Grand Cherokees.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maniac, the 3.7 IIRC is a variation of the 4.7L V-8 and the only applications they use it in are the base Ram pickup, and the newer Grand Cherokees.

Well it seems you are correct. Makes me feel a little better. I still think they should have kept the 4 point ho. That thing in my opinion needs legendary status along with the Ford 300 I-6.  
How in living hell do you remember these things. I got manuals and tech books spanning from the 40s to now just to remember how to do things. I feel for myself in the future cause my memory sucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well it seems you are correct. Makes me feel a little better. I still think they should have kept the 4 point ho. That thing in my opinion needs legendary status along with the Ford 300 I-6.  
How in living hell do you remember these things. I got manuals and tech books spanning from the 40s to now just to remember how to do things. I feel for myself in the future cause my memory sucks.

I don't even know how I have the amazing memory I have.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Shit,legendary? 235 Chevy Stovebolt 6!!!!! Ford Flathead or Y-block,or FE!?! Chevy V-6 TRUCK(looks like a 348/409 minus the 2 cyl)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Shit,legendary? 235 Chevy Stovebolt 6!!!!! Ford Flathead or Y-block,or FE!?! Chevy V-6 TRUCK(looks like a 348/409 minus the 2 cyl)

Hey I wasn't saying there aren't others that are already there! Just the Jeep 4.0 H.O. needs to be added to the brotherhood......
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Difference between Cherokee and Grand Cherokee?

about $1,000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top