Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:29 AM EDT
My mom called me today and told me she had a noise coming from the engine of her '01 Altima. I checked it out and there is what sounds like a loose rattle coming from the pulley/belt system. Any advice on what to check/tighten? I have no experience working on nissans and not much on other cars for that matter, just trying to save her some $ - Thanks!

Here's a pic of the area :

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump - I know at least one of you guys knows something about this.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Take the belt off and inspect the pulleys. Narrow the noise down to a specific part. We cant troubleshoot anything from the photo. Just make sure all of your pulleys rotate good and dont have alot of slop in the movement and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You can also watch them while the motor is running to see if there's any obvious runout or jumping. Pay close attention to the tensioner if it has one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top