Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 5:29:31 PM EDT
Which one would you get for daily driving, hunting, fishing, and cruising back roads?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude - how about you pick two rigs in the same class?

- Ford F150 vs. Chevy 1500 vs. Dodge 1500

You might as well ask -
- Porsche Boxster vs. Hummer H2

I like the Jeep - but have heard skip the Rubicon and add the components yourself - save some $$$.
The new F150 is a great truck.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much xxxx do you want to haul?  Answer that and you have your answer.

+1

Pickemup trucks are extremely flexible platforms for hauling, towing, camper top, etc..
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I like the Jeep - but have heard skip the Rubicon and add the components yourself - save some $$$.

#1 - can you really add the components they add for the money?

#2 - you won't have a warranty

#3 - you can't build those parts into the payments
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
depends, do you have a pickup truck already? if not, get a pickup truck!  Once you own a truck you'll find you cant live life without one.   Rocks to be able to haul stuff to dump, move things, pick up a fridge from Home Depot, etc etc
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Plus,you can sleep in the back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Pick 'em up truck, unless you plan on frequenting tight trails better suited to the short wheelbase.

I had the same specs you do, and didn't even look at a jeep.

The ride will be better in the truck.
You'll have more space for gear. My truck fills up when my dad and I go hunting.

The truck swallows rifle cases without a second thought.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I've had a truck since I was 17 and they are indeed very handy.  I've always wanted a Jeep for some reason but have never really had the money to buy one until now.  My dad has two Dodge diesel duallies and a GMC 1500 and he lives less than 30min. away so acessing a truck for hauling is not a problem.

I have a wife and one kid, so either the Jeep or a crew cab F150 could haul us all around.  I have no boats or other large objects to tow and with the price of gas will probably not be buying anything of that nature for awhile.

My question is, for pure transportation back and fourth from work, and then hitting some mud holes on the weekend plus having a lot of fun, which would be your pick?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Which one...for....hunting?

I'd not be very fond of dropping multiple dead deer, hogs, etc in the back of a Rubicon for the drive home...

Just wouldn't be the best scenario.

Therefore, F150 Crew.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't driven a wrangler, but if it rides anything like the Liberty I rented last month, I'd stick with my truck.

Take one for a spin, and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#11]
You mentioned daily driver first so I went with the jeep.
I have a wrangler and a 4x4 F250 myself but for general usage the pickemup is just  too big to be driving around and trying to park. I can do a heck of a lot with the jeep but when I really have something to haul around, the big ford comes out and gets to work.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Had a chevy 1500 pick up for 11 years. Sold it and purchased a 01 TJ. I have since added a Rubicon Express 3.5 lift and 33 BFG MTR tires. Jeeps are like ARs and AKs, highley addictive and require money for add-ons (winches, lifts, lights, etc). They have more parts you can add on than any other vehicle. My lift and tires alone were around $2500. Go to Quadratec and see all the crap you can put on your jeep.

If you are going to go OFF ROAD frequently- get the JEEP
If you are not ever going Off Roading, but maybe twice a year- Get the truck. I miss having a truck bed to hall stuff in. The truck will also have a much smoother and quiet ride.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Either one will make you cry when:

1.) you get stuck in the mud
2.) your paint gets scratched to pieces by that unforseen tree branch
3.) you bottom out on the water covered tree stump
4.) you make your monthly payment
5.) you have any repair work done (ask me how I know)
6.) you go to the gas pump

Buy the F150 or the Jeep, you are gonna enjoy either from the sounds of it

Gary
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
How about a smaller truck?Ranger(Ford could use your business!)Colorado,Tacoma? BTW,never go 4 wheelin if you're making payments,that's what the $1000 rusted out CJ-7 is for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
IF I lived where pickups were allowed, (don't ask) I would have bought a Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab a couple of years ago. I couldn't justify a big truck any way so ... drum roll ... I'm FINALLY going to order a Rubicon in the next two days. Gotta take advantage of 5year/0%.  FWIW... last week, I saw a guy get a full-size washing machine in a Wrangler.  Good luck with whatever you choose. Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree that it all depends on how much gear you typically haul on your trips, but I would lean toward the Jeep.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]

#1 - can you really add the components they add for the money?

Yes you can.  Bigger and stronger parts for that mattter...

My jeep is a great vehicle but I won't go deer hunting in it...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My .02:

A Honda for daily driving and an F250 for the weekends.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#19]
that's like comparing apples to monkeys.

I mean seriously.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Oddly enough, this is the dilemma I'm in right now.

looking at either a F150 XLT supercrew cab (2wd) or a Jeep Rubicon (because I've wanted one for some time and it's a buyer's market)

the truck offers more utility, but I'm young and now would be the time to buy a jeep (no kids, decent job)

I'm thinking that the jeep might be better than the truck on gas mileage as the Ford has their (small) 4.6 V8 in a truck with four doors.

any other ideas?  suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'd go with truck.  The jeep 4.0 liter is horrid on gas for it's size.  It's a great motor, and it's perfect for off road in that size of a vehicle.  The only problem is that if you get a full size truck, you probably aren't going to get as good of mileage, but you probably won't do much worse eithor.  Another thing to concider.  Jeeps are small inside, so if you are a big person (I am), they get uncomfortable after a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top