Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 1:25:39 PM EDT
What is it like compaired to say a ford F250 and the subsequently to an F350 , both super duties.  Im looking at getting a used H1 either 2000-2001 model.  How does it stack up in terms of towing.  I just dont know enough about them and this site has so many who have better knowledge then most, I thought Id post the question here.  I do ALOT of hunting, and was thinking of the f250/350 however, the Full Backed Hummer might be even better, for all the duck/goose decoys, for haulin deer/hogs etc as well as being able to drag along all the guns/gear and people I usually have with me.  Also, how does the H1 D engine stack up comepaire to the Super Duty?

thanks guys for any help! Or suggestions of what to not do to either truck
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is it like compaired to say a ford F250 and the subsequently to an F350 , both super duties.  Im looking at getting a used H1 either 2000-2001 model.  How does it stack up in terms of towing.  I just dont know enough about them and this site has so many who have better knowledge then most, I thought Id post the question here.  I do ALOT of hunting, and was thinking of the f250/350 however, the Full Backed Hummer might be even better, for all the duck/goose decoys, for haulin deer/hogs etc as well as being able to drag along all the guns/gear and people I usually have with me.  Also, how does the H1 D engine stack up comepaire to the Super Duty?

thanks guys for any help! Or suggestions of what to not do to either truck

Given the choice between the Hummer and a Ford I'd get the Hummer.

I don't know about towing capacity.  The diesel in the H1 is the GM 6.5L unit.  My dad had a 6.5L diesel in a '95 1 ton truck.  He got 180K out of it before the heads blew.  It is a good overall engine other than that. Although the Ford diesels have been good to some, I don't care for Fords and hear the crankshafts have been prone to "walking." Also my dad had a late 80's 7.3 diesel that was quite troublesome.  

I think you can carry only four people(including the driver) in an H1 because of the wide driveshaft casing that seperates the front seats and runs from the instrument panel back.

Check Ebay-they have some good deals.  Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the 6.5L TD H1 has a towing capacity of ~9Klb

It's technically a bigger truck than an F350, which is a 1 ton. The H1 is a 5/4 ton truck. Check www.fas.org for specs on the HMMWV, which should be similar to the H1
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Back when some magazine rated them for fuel economy, they were rated for better than an Expedition.  Though, I think I read they top out at something really sad, like sub 70MPH, I'd assume I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys for the info concerning the towing, yes Ebay has some neat looking H1s and even some that might be "affordable"  I saw one on there for 30K and change which was an old hatchback with a port hole and the origional radios in the thing, plus an MRE heated, and it was CAMO'd out. I want it for hunting and I guess my daily driver, but I dont have to drive that far for work etc.

When did Hummer last update the H1, im talkin like a legit overhaul like ford did with the f150 last year
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]

When did Hummer last update the H1, im talkin like a legit overhaul like ford did with the f150 last year

I belive in 05'  They went to the Duramax/Allison Combo. IIRC the Duramax is turned down a little bit and it was a major undertaking to make the fit. They rased the entire body 2 inches. It is now the H1 "Alpha" and they bumped up the price to about 130K

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
As a daily driver.... take the Ford. The Military Hummers won't do much over 55.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I belive in 05'  They went to the Duramax/Allison Combo. IIRC the Duramax is turned down a little bit and it was a major undertaking to make the fit. They rased the entire body 2 inches. It is now the H1 "Alpha" and they bumped up the price to about 130K

This is correct.
The 05 is a very different beast from the 03 (There was no 04 H1).
The whole steering mechanism is different too.
It handles much better then the older ones.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a daily driver.... take the Ford. The Military Hummers won't do much over 55.

That is not what we have been hearing.
The AVERAGE speed of the HMMWV over in Iraq right now is over 85 mph.
Just because the speedo stops at 55, doesn't mean it won't go faster than that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

sweet!

However Im not looking for an old military one, I have a ball park range which would allow me to consider one around 40K from 99-03 it looks like, based on prices from ebay etc.  The 05 duramax/ali combo sounds interesting, time for my reading i guess, need to look into that one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true at all. Average? Maybe if you have a great running 1114 with a good turbo, without a full ammo load, downhill with a wind.

If you're looking at a camo turtleback on Ebay, that's not an H1, that's an HMMWV, which is the military variant, not the AM General civilian model. The interior is much different, and a lot of the ancilliary pieces and parts are different. You may have significant trouble getting one titled, registered, or inspected based on the salvage or surplus status.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
nope not going to get a mil one, just saw this one add for old mil style one with armor kit and hatch and though it would be sweet for a ranch rig, im looking more for a 99-04 model, looks like I will be going to school in a cold northwestern state, and I want to be prepped
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not true at all. Average? Maybe if you have a great running 1114 with a good turbo, without a full ammo load, downhill with a wind.

If you're looking at a camo turtleback on Ebay, that's not an H1, that's an HMMWV, which is the military variant, not the AM General civilian model. The interior is much different, and a lot of the ancilliary pieces and parts are different. You may have significant trouble getting one titled, registered, or inspected based on the salvage or surplus status.

That info was presented at a TACCOM meeting I was at in the Fall of 1994.
From what I understand, it was an average speed of the convoys that were shipping supplies in and out of Kuwait to Iraq.
It might be lower now, but that is what they quoted.
I couldn't believe it either, but that was the number that came out.
The 92% up factor also surprised me (92% of all HMMWV in the US inventory are in running condition and operational).
I know I have done 65 mph around the test track, and that was verified with the radar trailer we use to calibrate the speedos.
That was one fun ride that day.

There were some "turtleback" H1s made back in the mid to late 90's. (like 1995 or 96ish?)
They used the same shell that the military uses.
I've been told that they did not make alot of them, like less than 30 (???).
I know there is a picture of one hanging in my boss's office.
I believe the vehicle Cold is talking about is one of these.

Take it for what it is worth.
I just build'em.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Shadowsabre,

sounds like typical military number-fudging. I could never get an 1114 or 1115 over 80. The 1025/6's were worse, mainly b/c they weren't turbo. Of course, these speeds were with 3 or 4 guys in full kit, spare tires, water, food, .50, double loads for the .50, SAW, and plenty of pyro, medic bag, personal gear, etc., in 130 degree weather, on shitty roads.

I will give you guys this, the 1114's have great suspension, they ride (sort of) like a cadillac. Good work, they seem very well put together, with appropriate upgrades to handle the additional armor. I don't think the brakes are big enough, however. We constantly had to downshift in order to slow them quickly/safely enough.

My buddies that were running convoys cross country were usually limited by the slowest truck, hardly over 50 at a stretch.

Keep up the good work and thanks from someone who used your products!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no problem, pevrs114.
Just telling what I hear, sometimes it is not the most accurate stuff, but it has to filter thru alot of levels to get to us.
We don't get to really load them down like they are in the real world.
I know how much stuff they get loaded up with.
After driving a few now, I would tend to agree about the brakes.
I sure wouldn't want to do a brake job on one.

I think the 1151/1152 that are coming out right now are some of the best vehicles that have ever left the facility.

We have been very busy here.
Since this whole thing has started, we have been on 10 hour days and every other Sat.
It looks like it won't let up either for this year.
So far, we have pulled over 450 employees from the H2 plant to work on military orders.
I am impressed that instead of laying them off, they just switch them to a busier place.
That has been a challenge in itself. Training new people and then cranking up the lines for more production.

Like I said, I enjoy hearing from our customers.
We get letters from the front and from parents of the troops from the front and they are very well read here. They get posted and re-copied many times.
Fridays are Support The Troops here. Most of the people wear red.
It is hard sometimes too.
When you walk in early in the morning and see the bodies sitting waiting to be shipped out, it is hard.
You know that if it is a replacement body labeled for Iraq, something bad has happened to that unit.
That is tough.
When you are going home and you get stopped by a train and it is loaded down with units heading for God know where, it gets to you.
Seriously, I go out on the line sometimes and say a prayer over a unit.
Don't know if it helps, but you never know.

Anyway, I appreciate the comment and I appreciate those who serve.
I enjoy my job, but when I hear from people who use them, it is icing on the cake.
When I solve a problem or figureout an issue out on the floor, I feel like I've contributed to a larger cause.
Not just a cog in the machine like I used to feel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Being in the Army and a Chevy guy, I say get the Ford. More comfortable and will haul as much. Parts are probably easier to find too. My brother just bought one thats a few years old, crew cab and he loves it. It pulls hills 60mph with a 5th wheel trailer and his toy trailer behind it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top