Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 6:07:23 PM EDT
What says ye ARFCOM. Jet boat or find a Honda TRX250R?  Boat is a Hawaiian hull with 454 BBC and Jetovator pump. I had a 250R about 7 years ago when I still in high school and have regretted selling it ever since. The Honda is a pure adrenaline rush, but something about a BBC with uncapped headers in a boat keeps calling my name not to mention they're an adrenaline rush too.

I can't get both either. I'm bored with guns and moving back towards engine powered hobbies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What says ye ARFCOM. Jet boat or find a Honda TRX250R?  Boat is a Hawaiian hull with 454 BBC and Jetovator pump. I had a 250R about 7 years ago when I still in high school and have regretted selling it ever since. The Honda is a pure adrenaline rush, but something about a BBC with uncapped headers in a boat keeps calling my name not to mention they're an adrenaline rush too.

I can't get both either. I'm bored with guns and moving back towards engine powered hobbies.

You can't get both? Damn...I'd go with the boat.

You should post a poll....IBTP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
A 454 jetboat will be beyond brutal on gas, figure spending about 10-20% more at the marina pump than a gas station.  I love boats, but I don't think I could affoard it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A 454 jetboat will be beyond brutal on gas, figure spending about 10-20% more at the marina pump than a gas station.  I love boats, but I don't think I could affoard it.

That's the biggest downfall to the boat, really the only one. Considering 87 will have it pinging like crazy. 93 or higher is the only option unless I drop the compression or retard the timing like crazy and what fun would that be???

2.49 gal and probably 36 gal tank.......89.64 to fill it up.    I already don't drive my Firebird much because of gas prices. Hmm decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the biggest downfall to the boat, really the only one. Considering 87 will have it pinging like crazy. 93 or higher is the only option unless I drop the compression or retard the timing like crazy and what fun would that be???

2.49 gal and probably 36 gal tank.......89.64 to fill it up.    I already don't drive my Firebird much because of gas prices. Hmm decisions, decisions.

I have visions of driving the boat around some huge lake as fast as you can go...no police, no traffic...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wait until you get to the marina.  I don't own a boat, but my friend does.  I went to visit him this summer and we'd carry five gallon gas cans a quarter mile to avoid the cost of fuel at the marina.  It was a good $.30-.50 higher per gallon than the gas station up the road!  Add $.50 to the price of premium, and that's likely what you'll pay worst case senario.  Someone who owns a boat might be able to add their $.02, as those prices may not be the normal situation everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have visions of driving the boat around some huge lake as fast as you can go...no police, no traffic...

There are boat police!  They're awful... and I'm pretty sure they can stop you and search your boat with no probable cause!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with the Honda... as stated, the Boat will only drain the bank account and your time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are boat police!  They're awful... and I'm pretty sure they can stop you and search your boat with no probable cause!

Yes there are !!!   Texas Parks and Wildlife and Coasties can stop you just regular officers. Not to mention some SO's and PD's have officers that patrol rivers or lakes.   DeeJ remember one thing, boats don't have brakes. Speed boats, especially jet and v-drives, don't have a huge outboard hanging off the back to create drag. Nor do they have a deep draft, you get going too fast and it's pretty difficult to stop quickly unless you kick it around sideways.  

Gotta be careful when running boats fast, skiers in the water, trees, other boats. I think running a boat with lots of other water traffic is sometimes more stressful than driving on crowded freeways. Mainly because people have that attitude you mentioned, let's haul ass and not pay attention or stay on our side of waterway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes there are !!!   Texas Parks and Wildlife and Coasties can stop you just regular officers. Not to mention some SO's and PD's have officers that patrol rivers or lakes.   DeeJ remember one thing, boats don't have brakes. Speed boats, especially jet and v-drives, don't have a huge outboard hanging off the back to create drag. Nor do they have a deep draft, you get going too fast and it's pretty difficult to stop quickly unless you kick it around sideways.  

Gotta be careful when running boats fast, skiers in the water, trees, other boats. I think running a boat with lots of other water traffic is sometimes more stressful than driving on crowded freeways. Mainly because people have that attitude you mentioned, let's haul ass and not pay attention or stay on our side of waterway.

I was just sort of fantasizing...

but I do know that there are boat patrols and whatnot.  

Thanks for the jolt back to reality ManiacRat461...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]

I know, it is fun don't get me wrong. Just gotta be careful. I kinda tend to preach when it comes to boat safety. Can't count how many times I've almost been run over by idiots, mainly bubba's in bass boats and kids on jet ski's, while tubing, skiing, wakeboarding etc on the Neches.

I think I will just find a 250R. Cheaper on gas, and boats really are a money pit. I've already got one boat anyway..... Besides whats not to love about a four wheeler that'll pull a wheelie in all 6 gears and can run over 90 mph depending on the gearing.   Thanks though I never really thought about the gas issue, should have though considering I have a big block in a Firebird that drinks gas like crazy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I know, it is fun don't get me wrong. Just gotta be careful. I kinda tend to preach when it comes to boat safety. Can't count how many times I've almost been run over by idiots, mainly bubba's in bass boats and kids on jet ski's, while tubing, skiing, wakeboarding etc on the Neches.

I think I will just find a 250R. Cheaper on gas, and boats really are a money pit. I've already got one boat anyway..... Besides whats not to love about a four wheeler that'll pull a wheelie in all 6 gears and can run over 90 mph depending on the gearing.   Thanks though I never really thought about the gas issue, should have though considering I have a big block in a Firebird that drinks gas like crazy.

I get what you're saying man.  Both of them sound like fun...but the bike might be cool too.

While we're on teh subject of BBC's, my dad's company truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 with the 8.1(496 cubes) and the Allison transmission.  Boy it's cool to ride in that thing...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The 250R is the one they only made during the 80's, right?  The one that some still use for racing and whatnot?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The 250R is the one they only made during the 80's, right?  The one that some still use for racing and whatnot?

Yeah, 86 was the first year and 89 was the last. Yamaha had the Banshee(350). Kawasaki had the Tecati(250 and 500) and Suzuki made the Quadracer(250 and 500). The 250R is still the most common quad used in motocross, for 2 strokes anyway. 4 Strokes are steadily gaining in popularity though since they are less temperamental.

Lots of companies still produce aftermarket versions of the Honda design, which is what most are that you find. I always heard a lot of the two stroke quad and three wheelers disappeared because of lawsuits. Yamaha is only company that still makes them. It sounded plausible to me cause they're all pretty damn fast. The Tecate's are scary fast......
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd go with the 250R.  They are getting harder to find.  You can always get a jet boat.

87 250R that I sold on ebay
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd get a marine survey done by a professional before buying. Money well spent. You can find one in your area by going to this website http://www.marinesurvey.org/index2.html. If it was me I'd get the boat..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
the 250R comes standard with a Hand Clutch doesn't it? I think I rode one back in '89 The thing was quick.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#17]
250R all the way.  I had an 87' that I sold and got a waverunner instead.  I ended up missing atv's so much I sold the waverunner the next year and bought a banshee.  I really wish I didn't sell the 250r but you live and you learn.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither.

I'd get a quad, for sure, partly b/c they're more fun, partly b/c there's NO power line trail police, partly b/c you can ride them winter or summer.

Since you're looking at the sport quads instead of ute quads, I'd look at the Raptor 660 by Yamaha. THAT'S a sport quad. And probably much cheaper than a boat.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Neither.

Since you're looking at the sport quads instead of ute quads, I'd look at the Raptor 660 by Yamaha. THAT'S a sport quad. And probably much cheaper than a boat.

The Rapor is fast, but it just doesnt handle as well as the 250R, YZF450 or 450R.  The center of gravity is too high.  I dont know about the new raptor 700efi though.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
No thanks on the Raptor. Lots of money for nothing in my opinion. If I get another sport quad it'll be a 2 stroke. Preferably Banshee or 250R. 4 strokes have come a long ways, but still not as fun as 2 strokes. Yes the 250R had a clutch, gave me fits at 14 years old trying to get the whole hand foot cooridination down.

But I've already decided on another quad, hopefully a 250R. The $90 gas fill up on the boat just is way too expensive right now. I'd maybe be able to take it out once a month, not to mention I already have one boat I use for fishing. I'm going to look at a Banshee and a Warrior tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Having been involved in the boat brokerage business:

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Get the 250R
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
My vote is for the Honda. The money you save on gas can be used for more beer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
250r's are getting harder and harder to come by.  This is my latest addition and I have to say......it would beat my old 250r hands down.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/JJaiman/Banshee/pic1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/JJaiman/Banshee/pic5.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/JJaiman/Banshee/pic2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/JJaiman/Banshee/pic6.jpg
You can get these bikes so cheap now and the parts are also inexpensive.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice machine.  Nothing beats the sound of a piped banshee.  I had an 87 and a 89, I miss the rush from riding them, but not the constant wrenching.  Are those realtors on the back?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes they are.  There the best investment I ever made for this bike.  Turn them one way for the mud and dirt, spin them around and you have sand paddle's.  The pipes, porting, carbs, and 472 bigbore kit didn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I didn't get the boat or a 250R for now(still looking for a 250R, might end up just building it). Came across this for a very good price.......

97 Honda XR400R w/440 big bore kit. He wanted $1500 but he took $1200 for it. I must say I am impressed with 4 strokes now, very impressed. 1-3 gear wheelies are zero problem at all. New tires, new timing chain, still has great compression. Needs a little carb adjustment, but runs great.
Friend of mine gave too much throttle this morning and it went sky high and him right off the back......he and the bike were uninjured except for a hurt ego.

Best thing is it has a roaduse title and he gave me the blinkers and mounting hardware to get it back in street trim if I wanted to. But, I don't think it's gonna happen. I need to really clean the tank but I might just throw the "XR" decal back on it to hide the stained part. Got a new black n red Ceet seat cover I need to staple on and get rid of nasty orange/red/white/black one that's on there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well I didn't get the boat or a 250R for now(still looking for a 250R, might end up just building it). Came across this for a very good price.......
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ManiacRat461/000_0311.jpg

97 Honda XR400R w/440 big bore kit. He wanted $1500 but he took $1200 for it. I must say I am impressed with 4 strokes now, very impressed. 1-3 gear wheelies are zero problem at all. New tires, new timing chain, still has great compression. Needs a little carb adjustment, but runs great.
Friend of mine gave too much throttle this morning and it went sky high and him right off the back......he and the bike were uninjured except for a hurt ego.

Best thing is it has a roaduse title and he gave me the blinkers and mounting hardware to get it back in street trim if I wanted to. But, I don't think it's gonna happen. I need to really clean the tank but I might just throw the "XR" decal back on it to hide the stained part. Got a new black n red Ceet seat cover I need to staple on and get rid of nasty orange/red/white/black one that's on there.

Congrats ManiacRat461!

They sell kits for 250R's?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats a good deal.  You should have plenty of fun on that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats ManiacRat461!

They sell kits for 250R's?

Not really kits. Just they and Banshees were so successful in quad motocross that several companies sell everything you need to build one. Finding a completely factory 250R is almost non existent and pretty much the same with Banshees unless you go to a Yamaha dealer. To be honest, I've never seen one(250R).

Think of the Banshee and 250R as Ar-15s, they were that prolific to the sport quad world, at least in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
nice bike.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thats a good deal.  You should have plenty of fun on that.

I thought so. He got it from a friend who put said new timing chain on it after he buttoned it back up it wouldn't run right. Got frustrated and sold it to this feller. It was ONE TOOTH OFF !!!!! He wouldn't tell me how much he paid for it but said it was cheap and under $1000. Talk about a kick yourself in the ass moment.......

It gets the adrenaline goin as good as the 250R did, kinda hair raising since I hadn't ridden a bike in years. But I'm getting back into the swing of things.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go with the Honda... as stated, the Boat will only drain the bank account and your time.

HA, right.

I started out with an 88 250r that there was nothing wrong with.......year later and an undetermined amount of money I had an 88 250r with a LRD 310 kit, polished everything, powder coated frame, lsr carrier, steering stem, clamp, full bore plastics, works shocks, etc etc etc.........

And then I sold it.  Race fuel did me in at $5 a gallon.

No matter how you go, it's gonna cost ya

I vote jet boat, dual purpose and will be more chic friendly

Jet boat cost too much fill up at once. I know these cost a lot too, hell I already ordered another carb for it. But boats are a giant money pit. As much I love them, they truly are one of man's biggest wastes of money in the world. It never fails, at least 2-3 times a year something goes wrong with the one I have, the one you see in the background of the picture.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Honda CRF450F!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
And to think, when reading your first post, I was gonna tell you to get a dirtbike instead

Congrats on the Honda......but I'd still ride a wheelie by ya'

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Excellent decision and good choice of gear.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice bike.  Torque Monster!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nice bike.  Torque Monster!!

Yes it is. The powerband isn't quite as violent as a 2 stroke, but it's close. I've gained much more respect for 4 strokes after owning/riding this one the past few days. It's nice being able to idle around slow and not kill the engine or foul a plug.

Wizzo is that a KX 125,250 or 500 in your avatar?   Probably could ride a wheelie a lot further, it's a lot heavier than any 2 stroke I ever owned or rode. It gets the front end up easily, keeping it up takes a little more work of the throttle than the 2 strokes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Wizzo is that a KX 125,250 or 500 in your avatar?   Probably could ride a wheelie a lot further, it's a lot heavier than any 2 stroke I ever owned or rode. It gets the front end up easily, keeping it up takes a little more work of the throttle than the 2 strokes.

I'm a 2-stroke man, through and through, although I have to admit that as soon as they put 5 speeds in the KX 450, I'm buying one. The bike you just bought is about the most reliable thing with knobbies and 2 wheels. That bike is more than capable of going fast, I've been passed by one or two before.

Wheelies, on the other hand, are all a matter of practice. I've been attempting them since I started riding when I was 5. After awhile, you just figure out how to do them

Congrats again,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Go with the Honda... as stated, the Boat will onlyboth will drain the bank account and your time.

Cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top