Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:47:53 AM EDT
Mt GF has a 97 Ford Explorer she never drives. I filled it up with 93 octane, dumped a bottle of drygas in it and took off. Man! what a beast. It surges and misses.  engine rus good until you put it under load. Then it misses. I have a 99 Jeep that gives me no problems(all compuiter controled) and the Lexus is .....well no problem.
I know nothing about Fords. Can anybody shed some light on this problem.(water in tank?, bad gas?)
I'm stumped.
Thanks
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an '01 with the 4.0 v6 that was doing the same thing.
I replaced the plug wires and sparkplugs, and my baby is running like new again!
I suspect the same thing with yours. But I've also heard of ignition coils occasionaly going bad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Most likely it's tune up related, if theres no check engine light on then I would check the fuel filter first, especially if it's been sitting a while, and then the plugs, wires and air filter.

As posted by Sean0352, plugs/wires breaking down are a very common contributor to misfires under load, but I suspect you may also have a partially restricted fuel filter.

Pull the fuel filter and if the gas inside is darkish in color, replace it. Then inspect the plugs/wires, replace if needed. Pay attention to the air filter too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible the wiring is damp from the truck not being used?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys!
I'm off to check it out.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most likely it's tune up related, if theres no check engine light on then I would check the fuel filter first, especially if it's been sitting a while, and then the plugs, wires and air filter.

As posted by Sean0352, plugs/wires breaking down are a very common contributor to misfires under load, but I suspect you may also have a partially restricted fuel filter.

Pull the fuel filter and if the gas inside is darkish in color, replace it. Then inspect the plugs/wires, replace if needed. Pay attention to the air filter too.

+1 on the above.  How many miles are on it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
curious as to engine size

4.0L ohv
4.0L ohc
5.0L ohv

I'm gonna have to go with a secondary ignition related fault as well

Gary

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top