Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 9:19:44 AM EDT
My wife is going to take a job making much less $, so we have to tighten the belt a bit and sell the boat and the 04 Titan.
I want to buy a used YJ with a 5 speed and a four banger.  I'd like to have a/c in it, but I don't even know if Jeep makes a four cylinder with a/c?
Also, I would like one with some decent all terrain tires and a small lift.  How badly will this affect my gas mileage?  I'm thinking a 2" lift and 30's.
Will this Jeep have any kind of towing capacity?
Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure they make YJ's with a 4 banger and AC, at least I know they make TJ's that way. A small lift and slightly larger tires wouldn't make much of a difference as far as gas mileage is concerned. I think you can run 30" tires with now lift. A 2" lift would allow 31" tires.

Wranglers aren't really know for towning, but I believe you can tow someting small with one. What do you want to tow with it?

BTW, tell your wife to keep the better paying job.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go for a newer TJ with the inline 6. I have heard about a lot of problems with the carbs on the 4 cylinders. I belong to a 4 wheel drive club and most of the YJ owners have replace the engine or carb.

The 6 will also last a lot longer, there are more aftermarket parts for it. The coil springs ride much better on and off road then the leafs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
30's will fit any YJ or TJ without a lift.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
ask your questions here

www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

roger that.  I had 31x10.50x15's on my YJ when I got it.

I would recommend getting a 92-95 YJ with the Fuel injected 4.0.   screw the 4banger.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on going with a 6cyl.  The extra power will significantly outwiegh the 1 or 2 MPG you'd save. Injected 4.0L's are damn near bulletproof too....( knock on wood )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

roger that.  I had 31x10.50x15's on my YJ when I got it.

I would recommend getting a 9291-95 YJ with the Fuel injected 4.0.   screw the 4banger

Agreed. They're probably very insignificant differences in price these days between the 4.0HO and the 4cyl. The 91's have the traditional roll bar, while 92's and up have the rear hoops.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys have convinced me to look at the inline 6 vs. the four.  It just makes more sense to have the extra power available, and it seems to be more reliable.
I'm big on preventive maintenence, so as long as I find one that hasn't been beat on, I should be good to hook.
Thanks, fellas!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You guys have convinced me to look at the inline 6 vs. the four.  It just makes more sense to have the extra power available, and it seems to be more reliable.
I'm big on preventive maintenence, so as long as I find one that hasn't been beat on, I should be good to hook.
Thanks, fellas!

There are 2 threads over in Survival that you should read, too...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=434034

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=433403
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 95 4 cylinder, 31 in tires, 2.5 in lift, with hardtop, softtop, and the bikini/windjammer/tonnue cover.

It als has a brand new JB Conversions heavy duty transfer case, with the super short SYE kit.  New Fuel pump and an assortment of other new parts I've installed recently.  

Gets about 18 miles to the gallon if you keep the tires inflated properly and don't go over 60 mph, otherwise 13-16 mpg for a truer average.

If you were closer to MO, I'd offer to sell it to you, since I just bought a new Mustang last November.

Jeeps are fun fun fun.  But, I would also recommend getting the 6 cylinder, unless you really enjoy never passing anyone.  And, really, you should look for a newer vehicle if you're shopping.  Get a 2K TJ instead.  YJs are now a minimum of 11 years old.  They'll have lots of miles on them, have probably been off-roaded, and probably need some work.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes the 4 popper came with AC...  At least mine did.

Jeeps and gas mileage do not go in the same sentence.  You are wanting to drive a brick on wheels and that is what the MPG will reflect.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
One more thing...  They have a 2000 pound towing capacity.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

my jeep is perfect proof of this little saying.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]
the 4banger isn't any cheaper on gas than the 6.  

I have a 98 6cyl guy at work has a 98 4cyl   We both get about 14mpg   I am running 31s with 3.07s(for now)  he is running 33s with 4.11s (I dont think they put anything higher than a 3.73 in the 4banger)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top