Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:25:32 AM EDT
I have a 2001 F-150 Super Crew with the 4.6l V-8 engine.

Every time I drive in heavy rain or ford a creek more than a few inches deep, at least one coil gets water between it and the plug which causes a miss and usually toasts the coil.  This is BS, and I'm tired of fixing the problem.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else with this truck has the same problem.  Tomorrow, I'm going to call Ford and I'm going to take the truck to a dealer near work to see if a splash guard or baffle is missing.

The only good thing about this is that the price of coils has dropped from $105 to $88; either that, or the dealer gave me a break on the price since they can detect that this is pissing me off.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you apply dielectric grease ?
www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?799

Every time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You must have some other odd problem with your electrical system.   I periodically spray down the engine on our 4.6L expedition and never had any problems with it.   Water directly sprayed on the engine.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
the only thing i can think of is that the fan is kicking up water on the coil, which normally shouldn't cause a problem. i would look for a problem in the connector that goes to the coil. make sure the connector still has the water seal inside(the rubber insert), and carefully check the power and signal wires for any worn or cracked insulation. repair or replace as needed.

sorry, having some keyboard probs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top