Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 5:41:21 PM EDT
I just got done looking on Ebay UK and see that I could buy a 2004 Defender for about 24,000 which is really nice compared to the 60,000ish for a 95 in the states.  Has anyone ever imported a foriegn car before?  What problems might I have with liscensing? Right hand drive a problem? Shipping fees(Probably to the East coast...I live in WA State)?
Thanks,
BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
One question you might ask is:  How much is it going to cost to transport it to the US (and to your location).  How much is it going to cost to convert it to MPH, vs KPH.  Also, you're going to have to get the exhaust system up to US req's.  Along with the glass, and any other safety features.  

Remember, this is all a IIRC issue...I could be incorrect about any or all of the above.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember they quit importing them for a reason... crash standards or emissions...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
One question you might ask is:  How much is it going to cost to transport it to the US (and to your location).  How much is it going to cost to convert it to MPH, vs KPH.  Also, you're going to have to get the exhaust system up to US req's.  Along with the glass, and any other safety features.  

Remember, this is all a IIRC issue...I could be incorrect about any or all of the above.

The British use MPH...just like us.

If importation would be an issue...I'd say just buy one off Ebay.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Just buy an old Land Rover...there are a few on ebay, and will be ton cheaper than anything from the '90s...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The one that I am looking at is a LOT different from an old LR.  I want something that I can off-road, but I want something nice too.  Like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/04-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-TD5-COUNTY-1-OWNER-48-YRS-2GO_W0QQitemZ4603625276QQcategoryZ29748QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
The new ones cannot be titled/liscenced in the U.S.

I researched getting a D90 about a year ago.  There is a process by which (if I recall correctly) they can be imported and brought to U.S. standards.  It requires a special license or permit or something from the DOT to qualify for "updating" an automobile.  
So, you have to be liscenced to be able to legally convert them.  Then you have to convert them.  Then you have to get your conversion approved.  Then you can get a title.
I read a post on another site.  It was something like tens of thousands of dollars in application and lawyer fees to even get the process started.  That's before you ever get around to buying the car or paying to upgrade it.  
I think you may have to buy a few cars to crash, too, for the minimum crash tests.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
you can bet on paying about 10k for the transport and conversion to US standards. But they are so freaking cool its worth it. Crash standards , lol its a defender; id be honored to die in one
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The new ones cannot be titled/liscenced in the U.S.

I researched getting a D90 about a year ago.  There is a process by which (if I recall correctly) they can be imported and brought to U.S. standards.  It requires a special license or permit or something from the DOT to qualify for "updating" an automobile.  
So, you have to be liscenced to be able to legally convert them.  Then you have to convert them.  Then you have to get your conversion approved.  Then you can get a title.
I read a post on another site.  It was something like tens of thousands of dollars in application and lawyer fees to even get the process started.  That's before you ever get around to buying the car or paying to upgrade it.  
I think you may have to buy a few cars to crash, too, for the minimum crash tests.

screw it , just import it and drive it as is! when you get pulled over have a 100 wrapped around your license with a rubber band. that be good enough for me to let you go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#9]
option 2, you can wait till 2007 when they are set for importation again. They may not be a cool looking as the 04's though, nor diesel. Read an article about the 05 and 04 a while back and the article stated the intrest of the american consumer in attaining them. Said the crash ratings ekpt it out most along with being diesel and V8.  So basically the article said Americans wouldnt buy it cause the engine was too big and it was diesel. I disagree lol when i think of a defender , "Black , two door" V8 ....... diesel; i bust a nut :)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The one that I am looking at is a LOT different from an old LR.  I want something that I can off-road, but I want something nice too.  Like this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/04-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-TD5-COUNTY-1-OWNER-48-YRS-2GO_W0QQitemZ4603625276QQcategoryZ29748QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
BJohnson

Ah, I got you...you want to be pampered ...well, wait for the vehicle to be 25 years old, then there is a lot less worry...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just got done looking on Ebay UK and see that I could buy a 2004 Defender for about 24,000 which is really nice compared to the 60,000ish for a 95 in the states.  Has anyone ever imported a foriegn car before?  What problems might I have with liscensing? Right hand drive a problem? Shipping fees(Probably to the East coast...I live in WA State)?
Thanks,
BJohnson

You may want to look harder for one here.  Have a friend who bought a 94, auto trans, about 35000 miles for about $34,000.  That was about two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
You might want to check Canada. I'm not sure what their importation laws are, but my sister had an old YJ wrangler that was Canadian. As far as MPH vs KPH, both are usually listed on the gauges, it's just a matter of which one is on top vs. bottom.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny you should say that.  I have a Canadian TJ now.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Same reason why the Russian jeep did'nt make it over(actually made it to the docks of Baltimore,I saw red ones,silver ones,what are they called the Gaz?),crash tests and emissions. Those Russian Jeeps are really cool looking,what a shame.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a former D90 owner and My understanding is that they stoped importing them because of airbags. Land Rover did not want to deal with it so they stoped importing. As for not meeting collison
standards thats bullshit  I was in a very bad wreck in mine/ rolled it 3 times at a high rate of speed and walked away with only minor injuries. The next day after getting out of the hospital and having a tractor flip it back over I drove the thing 200miles home.  In any other rig I would have been dead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just buy yourself a brand new Jeep Rubicon and be done with it. It'll do everything a Defender will for the same price, except it'll be brand new...and have a warranty and no problems making it "U.S. compliant".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep seeing them things running around Alaska, i think they are coming in "grey market" from Canada.  There are a ton of rigs coming here from there, so many that the GM service departments up here quit dealing with Canadian rigs for warranty work to try and blackmail GM buyers into buying from a Authorized dealer here than a guy who imported a bunch from the Yukon or something.  There was a huge price difference, I don't know why exactly.

I also have seen d110's as well, obviously they had been shipped over and driven through Canada as they had the euro plates on them.  Unimog Campers and some other wild euro rigs up here as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
My friend got a couple of Unimogs from Germany.  He has a guy.    You pay the guys and don't ask any questions and you get your vehicle in a few months all registered and everything.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
When did they stop bringing them over, '97?

Look around, you can find 'em in America with only a bit of looking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When did they stop bringing them over, '97?

Look around, you can find 'em in America with only a bit of looking.

Yes jollyroger 97 was theit last year.

Ebay will probably be your best bet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks deej.  Are you a truck guy?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
i had a D90 for awhile. and 2 discoveries. the discoveries are shit, i recommend you not even mess with them.

i had it explained to me that the landrover prices to control demand. take the range rover for example, sell new for about 70k but you can buy a year old pre-owned with 20,000mi for $35k unbelieveable.

on one of our trips to Belize the wife and i rented a diesel D110 brand new had 2200mi on it. the owner said he paid $22,000 for them. IF you can find a 110 in the states it will run you damn near 6 digits.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. This place is called Bear Valley Land Rover. They're in GA. They have FREE SHIPPING. They have a shit ton of Rovers on hand at all times including a couple of D 90's.

The people there are very friendly. I've talked to them on a couple of occasions. I eventually bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder Off Road SE (actually, the day before yesterday ).

If you want a Rover, BVLR has it and will ship it to you for free. Check 'em out...
Bear Valley Land Rover Online Showroom

***ETA*** Just click on which ever series you're intersted in. They have one D 90 currently with another that just sold.

I myself lust after a 110.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top