Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:45:45 PM EDT
what can you tell me about them? I am interested in how much I should pay, any problems with them, diesel mileage....

Thanks
Dale
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
www.thedieselstop.com

Everything you need to know about a Powerstroke.

If you don't have your heart set on a Ford, a 96-97 Dodge is a far more reliable engine wise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks barnstormer. I am kind of set on a Ford. Just like the looks. What can I say.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep,  www.dieselstop.com is the place to go.

My brother has a '93 F-350 7.3L diesel. Nice truck. Very nice truck for being 13 years old. Lots of corrosion underneath, but other than that it is in very good condition.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem, I fix diesel pickups for a living, so I know a little about them.

As with anything, look for the newest truck you can afford, they will have more of the bugs worked out.

Check for oil leaks in the valley of the engine, and behind the turbo. There are several places the 7.3 likes to leak oil.

If you have any questions, shoot me an IM or post up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks BS. I ma take you up on the IMs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.thedieselstop.com

If you don't have your heart set on a Ford, a 96-97 Dodge is a far more reliable engine wise.

Yep, but the rest of the truck is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.thedieselstop.com

No argument from me.

I bought a nice new Cummins engine, and got a Dodge truck for free.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a '97 Ford F250 4x4 with a 7.3 PSD.  I am pleased overall with the truck.  No major issues or cronic problems with the power train.  I did have a fuel preheater self distruct & it caused a fuel leak on the top of the motor.  That was a simple remove/replace.  I replaced all the glow plugs at 100k mi. & it gets a new fuel filter every fall.  I keep the oil changed at 5k mi.  14qts of Rotella & a new FL1995 filter each time.

The weakness of Fords in those model years are the ball joints.  You can plan on replacing those if the orginals are still onboard.

Mine tends to get pretty thirsty above 62mph whether hauling my S&S camper or running empty.  It will haul ass on demand  I generally get about 15mpg with normal runs of 15 miles or so (back & forth to work)  On longer trips @55mph it usually gets 20mpg.

In Michigan you'll want to plug in the block heater when temps get down to 20.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a '97 Ford F250 4x4 with a 7.3 PSD.  I am pleased overall with the truck.  No major issues or cronic problems with the power train.  I did have a fuel preheater self distruct & it caused a fuel leak on the top of the motor.  That was a simple remove/replace.  I replaced all the glow plugs at 100k mi. & it gets a new fuel filter every fall.  I keep the oil changed at 5k mi.  14qts of Rotella & a new FL1995 filter each time.

The weakness of Fords in those model years are the ball joints.  You can plan on replacing those if the orginals are still onboard.

Mine tends to get pretty thirsty above 62mph whether hauling my S&S camper or running empty.  It will haul ass on demand  I generally get about 15mpg with normal runs of 15 miles or so (back & forth to work)  On longer trips @55mph it usually gets 20mpg.

In Michigan you'll want to plug in the block heater when temps get down to 20.

How many miles a year do you drive?

I would suggest changing the fuel filter every 10-15,000  miles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I  have a friend who is  a  ford mechanic at a dealership.  He bought  a new truck  t he  other day.  I said " I thought you would roll up in a nice new powerstroke..."  He  said, "I work on Fords for a living, no way am I buying a powerstroke".

Maybe it is just the newer ones, but I'll take his word for it.

ETA: he did buy a ford, but not a deisel
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I  have a friend who is  a  ford mechanic at a dealership.  He bought  a new truck  t he  other day.  I said " I thought you would roll up in a nice new powerstroke..."  He  said, "I work on Fords for a living, no way am I buying a powerstroke".

Maybe it is just the newer ones, but I'll take his word for it.

ETA: he did buy a ford, but not a deisel

The 6.0L diesels, especially the '03s and '04s, are notorious for being bad apples. Not all, but many.

The '05s and '06s are said to be much better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
i just traded my 02 psd in last week only 40k on the odometer if you dont mind a little drive  i think its still  available at the dealer. nothing wrong with the truck i was just ready for a new truck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 97 F250 7.3 power stroke that I bought new. Besides routine maintenance I have had to replace the glow plug relay and fix an oil leak on the right side of the engine block. I like mine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagged, I want one of these too, can't justify a new toy hauler, but damn, even the old ones are expensive, with 250K + miles on them.  

Michael
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a Chevy guy that owns a 97 F250 PSD, but if Ford would have teamed up with Cummins instead of Navistar, they would own the market.  Also, someone should have teamed up with CAT and shoehorned a 3116 or similar engine into a pickup and users would have creamed their pants.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm a Chevy guy that owns a 97 F250 PSD, but if Ford would have teamed up with Cummins instead of Navistar, they would own the market.  Also, someone should have teamed up with CAT and shoehorned a 3116 or similar engine into a pickup and users would have creamed their pants.

That would  have been  awsome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top