Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 12:44:19 PM EDT
The coolant hose that runs to my heater core (I guess) broke off, well actually the stupid plastic part broke.

This is the place where the hose connects to the back of the engine compartment (which is why I think it goes to my heater core). This thing just snapped and suddenly I got a low coolant message. I figure I just needed to check it when I got home until my engine temp suddenly jumped.

So 2 questions;

1.) I didn't get into the red before I pulled over, but id did get hot fast, could I have damaged anything?

2.) How do I replace this stupid part? I can't find any way to remove it.

Thanks for any ideas / help.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about how to fix it, as I have not worked on that truck.  However, you live in AZ, get a factory service manual, and plug the heater lines.  The heater lines really arent that important, unless you want heat.  This will stop your leak and let you drive it.

My guess, without pictures, is that your heater core needs replaced.  From what you describe, the fitting coming out of your firewall is broken.  This is a PIA, or can be expensive due to labor.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I  wouldn't worry abnout any damage considering you didn't  run it in the red zone.  

Is this where it's broken?

You'll notice that the hose fits on a plastic coupler, which then fastens onto the nipple of the heater core, is it possible that the coupler is broken. Circled area in photo.  

The coupler appears to come off in the same way that fuel lines do.  It takes a speacial tool to release the coupler.   If you're lucky and it is the coupler it should be "not to expensive repair"  from a dealer or  repair shop.  

If  it's the heater core that's  broke,  well then ................they bury that stuff pretty deep under the dash.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
you acctually can drive with out coolant in your vehicle.  you just need to shut it down and let it cool down once it starts to get close to the red zone.  so you probably couldn't get very far very soon in AZ
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I  wouldn't worry abnout any damage considering you didn't  run it in the red zone.  

Is this where it's broken?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/heat10.jpg

You'll notice that the hose fits on a plastic coupler, which then fastens onto the nipple of the heater core, is it possible that the coupler is broken. Circled area in photo.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/heat111.jpg

The coupler appears to come off in the same way that fuel lines do.  It takes a speacial tool to release the coupler.   If you're lucky and it is the coupler it should be "not to expensive repair"  from a dealer or  repair shop.  

If  it's the heater core that's  broke,  well then ................they bury that stuff pretty deep under the dash.

Thank you for those pics, I was afraid I would have to get some so you guys could understand.

Yes, it's exactly the place you have circled that broke, that yellowish,plastic coupler. It broke off right at the hose, leaving the plastic nipple inside.

I didn't have to much time to look at it because by the time I had my brother tow me back I had to get ready to go to my fathers for Christmas stuff, but the little bit I did look at it I saw no way to remove the coupler to replace it.

So you are saying that it's a part that can be replaced easily with a special tool?

If so, is the tool expensive? Do I need to take it to the shop?

Thanks very much for the help so far guys.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The tool shouldn't be expensive. But using it can be a pain in the arse, if you don't have someone to show you how the first time. If you need to drive the truck in the mean time though, you could just get a small piece of tubing a bypass the heater core.

fordfuelinjection.com/?p=12

That link should give you an idea of how it works. Under fuel rail disconnect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The tool shouldn't be expensive. But using it can be a pain in the arse, if you don't have someone to show you how the first time. If you need to drive the truck in the mean time though, you could just get a small piece of tubing a bypass the heater core.

fordfuelinjection.com/?p=12

That link should give you an idea of how it works. Under fuel rail disconnect.

Meaning just discinnect the other hose and then patch them together?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
yep, just disconnect both sides of the heater core. Put  something in to bridge the 2 lines and hose clamp them. I've had to do it once or twice for friends when theirs started leaking into the floorboards.

and when i said tubing I meant metal tubing. PCV should work too, but i don't know what kinda temperatures it will hold up to.

and if you do decide to do it. Make sure it won't flop down on to the exaust manifold and melt.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yep, just disconnect both sides of the heater core. Put  something in to bridge the 2 lines and hose clamp them. I've had to do it once or twice for friends when theirs started leaking into the floorboards.

and when i said tubing I meant metal tubing. PCV should work too, but i don't know what kinda temperatures it will hold up to.

and if you do decide to do it. Make sure it won't flop down on to the exaust manifold and melt.

I will only be using it to avoid having to tow my truck to the shop, so it will just be a 10 mile drive, and I will secure it off the manifold.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
oh and just in case you miss the obvious(forget). Make sure you refill the radiator/overflow tank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top