Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 11:55:31 PM EDT
I have noticed on a few different vehicles that the fog lights automatically turn off when the high-beams are activated.  Is there a law or DMV regulation requiring this and, if so, why?  Is there an easy, generic method of bypassing the interlock so I can have both high-beams and fog lights at once?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I was recently wondering the same thing.  I just hold the lever back in the high beam position and all the lights are activated but it gets old real fast.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have noticed on a few different vehicles that the fog lights automatically turn off when the high-beams are activated.  Is there a law or DMV regulation requiring this and, if so, why?  Is there an easy, generic method of bypassing the interlock so I can have both high-beams and fog lights at once?

It varies on vehicle make , but most use the low beam feed
to energize the aux light relay . So you just switch that leg to an
Ignition feed and the lights will work independently from the dimmer
switch as long as the ignition is on .

Quoted:
I was recently wondering the same thing.  I just hold the lever back in the high beam position and all
the lights are activated but it gets old real fast.

The reason that works is because when you pull back your dimmer switch it's
in FTP mode ( Flash To Pass ) and both headlight filaments are energized .
Your light switch isn't rated to handle the amperage that both filaments draw
for long . So I'd advise against that as a workaround  ..

Unless of course you don't mind buying new switches frequently  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Most cars do that now days. Find a forum specializing in your type of vehicle and search for it. Most car forums have a way to make the fogs run independantly posted.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember a relay kit for old body style chvey pick-ups, that would allow both high and low beams on at the same time.  I'd bet its only a matter of time before there will be a relay kit to solve your problem
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Splice into the high beam circuit and feed it to a relay. Feed the fog lights with the same relay.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you want to be able to operate your fog lights independantly you would need to install a seperate switch and relay. If you wire the fog lamps to the high beam circut you lose the benefit of the fog lights. In fog the high beams will reflect back a lot of light from the fog (water). That is why fog lamps are wired to only operate with the low beams from the factory.

FYI, I don't know about other states but here in CA the vehicle code actually specifies that driving lights can only be operated with high beams and fog lamps with low beams. Though the only time I've ever seen it enforced is if a vehicle has been wrecked and had to have the all the lights recertified. CA law also specifies the height range within which various lights can be mounted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top