Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 8:40:42 PM EDT
Wrench, hand, one of those strap things that dont fit between the filter and pan, or just stab a screwdriver through it
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a orange thing that fits around it and it locks on like a socket and you put a ratchet on it and you can get it off, I used it twice and now I'm stabbing it with a screw driver again
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought a orange thing that fits around it and it locks on like a socket and you put a ratchet on it and you can get it off, I used it twice and now I'm stabbing it with a screw driver again

My friend told them they come out about every 5 years or so, people realize they suck and then they dont sell them for another 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the Snap On Oil Filter Sockets, looks like a  cup with a 3/8 ratchet opening on it
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
After using all of the methods you mentioned, I got one that is basically a heavy canvas strap and a 1/2" square rod.  You just slip the strap around the filter and use a 1/2" ratchet, break over bar, etc. to turn it.  It works every time on any size filter.  I think I got it for my tractor's oil filter as the diesel oil filter is larger and I got tired of keeping up with all of the different sizes required for small engines, ATV's, truck, tractor, etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have all kinds of oil filter tools , from cup type to strap
and steel band type , but the most useful are the pliers type
on the majority of vehicles .

Here is a Link for reference Filter Pliers .
Their prices are good also , but you can probably find the locally at an
autoparts store .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

autoparts store .

I was looking at those Channellock ones at Harbor freight.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You should only put it on tight enough that you can still remove it with your hand. If the hand is slipping, try a little sandpaper.

If the old one was installed to 300 lbs torque by the WallyWord kid, then use a strap or one of the caps.  It really depends on the car, whatever fits better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I Here is a Link for reference Filter Pliers .
autoparts store .

I was looking at those Channellock ones at Harbor freight.

They work well . They also work on the canisters used
on home water filters .  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Chuck would bite it off...

I usually use my hand as I do my own and don't tighten them too much, but there are some nice wrenches out there.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You should only put it on tight enough that you can still remove it with your hand. If the hand is slipping, try a little sandpaper.

If the old one was installed to 300 lbs torque by the WallyWord kid, then use a strap or one of the caps.  It really depends on the car, whatever fits better.

Good theory , but it doesn’t hold up in the real world .
Over the years I've done tens of thousands of filter changes
(Well I used too before I got employees )  .

Filters tend to tighten up with age from the heating and cooling
cycles of the engine , and some swell slightly under pressure
and deform to tighten them even further .

Some engines are worse for it then others , but most will
harder to remove then they were to tighten .  Granted
there are quick oil change monkeys out there who think they
are installing lug nuts instead of oil filters , but you can't
blame them all the time
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually use a cheapo strap wrench I found in the bargain bin at a local hardware store.   Last time I used a 18" long 1/2" drill bit and my cordless drill.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Channel locks on occasion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I screw filters on as hard as I can with my thumb and index finger, then when I take them off, I grip with my whole hand and can unscrew them even if they've tightened up.  I've never had a leak or stuck filter with this method.

When I bought my jeep, the filter was on so tight that nothing worked except my neighbor's metal strap wrench.  I went out and bought one of those the next day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#14]
This works wonders, more you turn, the tighter it grips

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

www.toolmix.com/_assets/products/main/Sealey/AK647.jpg?20051219173936000

That wouldn't work on my stuck filter; I had to use the metal strap wrench.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I use one of these, hand-tight, but it's just to pull the cap off for a drop-in filter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]
When one gets really stuck, I hammer a phillips screw driver through it and use that as a lever.

Otherwise a band/wrench (standard old school oil wrench).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

www.toolmix.com/_assets/products/main/Sealey/AK647.jpg?20051219173936000

I bent the living shit out of two of those.  An oil filter by a full length header tends to get stuck....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have one of the Snap On Oil Filter Sockets, looks like a  cup with a 3/8 ratchet opening on it

same here
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Suck it up and use your hands.  By the time you get done finding and operating your tool, I will have removed the filter, rinsed out my mouth because I forgot about gravity, and put the new one on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I use my hand.  Before you put on a new filter, apply some oil to the rubber seal, just dip your finger in some and wipe it around the seal.  This way it won't seize itself up after time, thus it'll be alot easier to remove.  

I've stabbed a long screwdriver through as a lever...but that's only when I first get the car.  Every oil change I do after that, I use my hand.  You never know how long people have left that filter on when you get a used car.  Often times they are stuck on pretty tight.    

Tighten with your hand.  There is no reason it hase to be SUPER tight.  Mine have always been a piece of cake to remove, and they don't leak either.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I use my hand.  Before you put on a new filter, apply some oil to the rubber seal, just dip your finger in some and wipe it around the seal.  This way it won't seize itself up after time, thus it'll be alot easier to remove.  

I've stabbed a long screwdriver through as a lever...but that's only when I first get the car.  Every oil change I do after that, I use my hand.  You never know how long people have left that filter on when you get a used car.  Often times they are stuck on pretty tight.    

Tighten with your hand.  There is no reason it hase to be SUPER tight.  Mine have always been a piece of cake to remove, and they don't leak either.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I do the same thing, lube the seal and the threads before install, and I only put it on hand tight, but I have never been able to remove a filter by hand.  

I actually like poking a hole in the filter because it lets me drain it in a controlled manner tan loosening up have oil dump suddenly and run down into my armpit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
rinsed out my mouth because I forgot about gravity

Gravity sucks.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy a K&N filter that has the nut pattern pressed into the shell. 3/4 or 1" is the size IIRC
Otherwise I have one of the wrenches that look like a handcuff with teeth
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I do the same thing, lube the seal and the threads before install, and I only put it on hand tight, but I have never been able to remove a filter by hand.  

I actually like poking a hole in the filter because it lets me drain it in a controlled manner tan loosening up have oil dump suddenly and run down into my armpit.

With all due respect, EAT YOUR WHEATIES!!!  

j/k

I use the Fram filters that have to rubber grip thing on the end.  Makes it easy to get a grip on it.  
I never get totally under the car when I remove mine.  In fact, I don't even have to raise the vehicle. (92 lumina 3.1)  

I just reach my arm under.  My head is usually under the front bumper.  Of course, YMMV as different motors will have it in a different spot.  I can do it so that I dont get ANY oil on me.  The only time I get oil on my fingers is when I remove the drain plug.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
if you can fit under a Chevy Lumina without jacking it up, I am not the one needing to eat wheaties..

I use the same filters.  I have a habit of over-tightening, but after having a filter spin off once on a friend's rig, I feel it is better to err on the side of caution.

I still ain't ever been able to yank a filter by hand though. I worked a a grease monkey for a couple years too.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I generally use my forearm strength.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Chuck would bite it off...

I usually use my hand as I do my own and don't tighten them too much, but there are some nice wrenches out there.  

wrong.  chuck would kick it with the side of his foot, making it spin off
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

autoparts store .

I recently got a set similar to  these - Before that I used channel locks.  That stupid foam steel strap wrench did not work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

autoparts store .

The filter pliers are the ones I use most often and they work better than all my other filter removal tools combined, but in extreme cases I use a 3-Jaw Oil Filter Socket that goes on a 3/8" drive ratchet. That one only comes out for the impossible suckers and hasn't failed me yet, but it's a bit of a pain to use on daily basis.

I use this one and an older model with longer, round fingers, but I prefer the new one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#33]
If it's tight, I begin to start thinking about where I left my strap wrench. After about 20 seconds of deep thought, I hammer a screwdriver in the sumbitch and remind myself not to put it on so damn tight next time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The Pathfinder - by hand. The angle is just right to get leverage on it.

The truck - 36mm wrench to get the cap off the cannister. Gotta love that Powerstroke.

The Porsche - I need a cap-type wrench. Can't get my hand in there with any sort of leverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top