Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 7:22:14 AM EDT

i want to pick up one of those portable power packs for jump starting dead batteries. any suggestions? how well do they hold a charge over time? also, do they last long? i read some reviews of the shumacher brand that were not at all favorable. i need something in next couple days..so mail order not an option. was considering a vector brand from pep boys.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
We have real good luck with our Solar brand boosters (just a name, not solar powered). They're a bit more pricey than your standard 39.99 made in China special, but they work when ya need em.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
id go for the Solar ones too my self im a big fan of the Solar ES6000, but the ES 2500 would work very well for you or any of the ES series

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
www.mytoolstore.com/clore/booster.html

is that the line youre talking about?

i've decided to skip the cheapo brands...and dont think i need to have one immediately either. so i can consider these. that pretty much the going rate? from the listings, sounds as if they are designed for more frequent use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
We use them at the shop. They work great. I even bought one myself for my boat and in case I need to jump off someones car.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.mytoolstore.com/clore/booster.html

is that the line youre talking about?

i've decided to skip the cheapo brands...and dont think i need to have one immediately either. so i can consider these. that pretty much the going rate? from the listings, sounds as if they are designed for more frequent use.

That's the one. Usually I see the ES2500 for about $119, and the ES500 for $149, so those are great buys.  The 5000 is definitely worth the extra money. Make absolutely sure that you charge the battery up for a full 24 hrs when you first get it and they'll last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the one at Samsa saved my ass about 4 times so far
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I maintain my batteries, keep the connections clean, and periodically test them, replacing as needed.

Still, tagged for some suggestions. Sometimes the bar eats you, as they say.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been using this one for the past year. It also has a 12V worklight that plugs into the built-in standard 12V power receptacle. If you make a double ended 12V patch cable you can backfeed a 12V current through the cig. lighter into the cars electrical system. When changing out a battery you won't lose all your radio memory setting or have to re-input any security codes etc.  

Schumacher Instant Power
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a $40 one from Wally World a while back.  Very simple to use, and it works fine.  It saved my bacon one cold morning when my car battery finally gave up the ghost.  It started my car with no problems 2-3 times that day until I could get a replacement battery.

I also used its car-type plug on a camping trip to charge cell phones.

Make sure you plug it up to charge every three months or so.  It will lose its charge over time.  I've had it for almost three years with no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top