Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2005 10:02:17 AM EDT
The girlfriend was thinking of us getting a pair of these...new, of course since the 2-3 year olds are retailing for only $500 less than new.  She has ridden many other bikes but her minimal stature is better suited to this bike.  I am 5'-11" and 160 lbs so it also fits me well but seeing as I have ZERO time on the road, I was wondering if this would be too little bike for me.  I am mostly looking at riding on twisty, country roads where speed limits are in the 35-50 MPH range, not racing etc.

I have ridden up to a 250 off road but I know the gearing is totally different.  The Ninja 250 is geared for 8000 RPM at 70 mph and has a 14000 RPM redline.  RW Hp is 27 at 13500 RPM.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have NO mtc. experience, the 250 is a good place to learn. If you are current with your dirt experience, a 250 will get old quick. I normally suggest the smallest bike possible to start on, but if you have some experience the ex 500 may be a better choice? DO NOT let anyone talk you into getting a 600 as a starter bike. Todays 600s are as fast as the hyper-bikes of yesteryear. good luck, stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally would go with something a little bigger.  The 250's could get you into trouble that they can't get you out of.  I.E. if you pull out into traffic and underestimate the speed of approaching vehicles, the bike MAY not have enough cajones to get you up to speed to save your ass.  Seen that happen a few times, results not pretty.  You might want to go up to a 500R.  My first bike was/is a 1999 Honda CBR600 F4.  It's not bad if you keep your right hand in check.  More than enough umph.  107 rear wheel horsepower and it only weighs about 400 pounds.  It's been tweaked a little.  Riding position is pretty upright for a sport bike.  Got mine for 4K a year and a half ago, which I thought was a pretty good price.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
This will be a pair purchase as the GF will be getting one as well.  Since she has a 65 pound advantage (yes, she is a little squirt), I will probably be trailing her but I do have good drafting experience...

I have thrown a leg over one but not on the highway.  It feels comfortable, even in a tuck but that is only on the centerstand.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a great little learner bike BUT you're gonna feel under powered in a few months of riding and want to buy a bigger bike.  Personally I'd suggest buying a 600cc it has the power when you need it and if you dont get cocky and being that youre considering a small bike for safety I dont think you will get cocky will give you more time before you tire of it.  Furthermore if you NEED the power that a 600 has that a 250 dosent have ie. youre passing and you made a bad call and traffic is coming on you quick and you NEED to move you're safer on a faster bike.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I 2nd the ex500 for you and ninja 250 for your lady.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
By the way, if you've never ridden street before, go take a motorcycle safety foundation course.  It's a 3 day course that will give you the basics of street riding.  Might cost about $90 but it's money well spent.  I could never imagine getting on any kind of street motorcycle with no experience.  To me that's a good way to get seriously hurt.    MJD
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I 2nd the ex500 for you and ninja 250 for your lady.

This will keep you happy for a while.

Also, +1 what highwayman said about the MSF course.  It might save your life someday.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you'd be better served with something else. The EX500 is a better bike all around, and the SV650 is a great bike that will take a little longer to outgrow.

Part of the motorcycling experience is in the adventure of the trip. Riding a bike and making the same trip in a car just isn't the same-with the bike it's an event rather than time which slipped away along with the rest of your day. At some point your trips are going to get longer, and longer means that you'll be on a freeway. An EX250 (ninja) is really out of it's element on the freeway. They are geared to do about 105mph topped out, so they are in the power when doing 70 or so in 6th gear, but if you get into the left hand lane and nail it to pass someone you'll have to be careful of who might be coming in behind you. By 80 there's just not a lot of power left to accelerate and drag starts to slow things down considerably.

The 250 Ninja is a good first bike for a teenager with a grocery store job in the country. It's not a good bike for adults-you'll be one of those people next year trying to get $500 less than retail. These bikes have been around since god was a boy so finding one cheap just means looking a little.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
If it'll get the GF rolling down the road, go for it!

But uh... you are gonna get bored as hell with it in about 20 miles.

Someone else mentioned the EX500 (now Ninja 500R???) or the SV650.  Both great bikes.  Liter bikes are for racers and poseurs.  

Might I also suggest the KLR650?  Great riding dual sport thumper... I've been border to border (Mexico-US-Canada) on one.  Used prices can be under $3,000 for a decent used one.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Used?  Unfortunately its impossible to find a good used one given the recommended break in of 4000 RPM for the first 500 miles.  That means 30 MPH in 6th.  And 15 hours of that.

Bored?  I doubt it.  I have about 30k miles under my belt on my road bike and that is with me as the sole source of motivation.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
i bought the 2004 EX500. I traded it in 3months later because I HATED IT!!!!! I had only a 1/2year under my belt riding an onlder bike before i got this one. I thought the same thing...i dont wanna get a 600 because its a "starter" bike....worst mistake i ever made. I had the bike a whole week before i realized it was WAY WAY underpowered. now keep in mind Im not a noob to the bike thing and only 3 year into the game i'll be racing my ninja ZX7R(750cc) thats been heavly sprocketed and hits the dyno at 130hp. as for you AND( THATS A REALLY BIG AND!!!!) your girl. do your selves a favor and get you both the 500. as long as your not trying to ride wheelies or roll stoppies and hit top speeds of 165mph that 500 will give you everything you need.
the 250 is too underpowered and you both will be board of it with in the first year. not the mention the 250 has a VERY HARD time holding 70+mph on the highway. its just not fast enough to be practical. the 500 has VERY good roll on power that will not loop the bike should you loose controle, its corners as good as you can acspect, its a great value. trust me on this one...get he 500
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Liter bikes are for racers and poseurs.  

Well, I'm not a paid racer, and really don't care what people think of me on my bike anymore. I do love motorcycles that thrill and challenge me though!

Dave ('05 GSXR1000, and a lot of liter-bikes before that)
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I admit, I am a noob at riding, but I have some time on an old GS500 and found it to be right about the power I wanted. Not too much, but enough to entertain me. Been down twice, mostly because I was a dumbass and was on OLD, SHITTY tires. The kind that are so old they have cracks in the rubber. Got some once used race slicks from a bike shops trackday (they only use them once!) for like $150 and now I have such sticky tires that I can't even burn out. I would definitely recommend getting the best protective gear too--I was wearing cheap thin stuff when I went for a slide down my driveway at 35 mph--and I will wear the scars until I die.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]
You must have a really long driveway.  Be careful with those race tires too.  They're mighty grippy until the road gets wet, then they're actually worse than a normal street tire.  Of course that's my opinion.  I like the Dunlop D208's, a good balance of durability, grip, and stability, pretty good value too.  I hear you about wrecks, my knee is still goofy from when I lost it on a patch of sand.  My knee stayed under the tank when it hit the ground.  Not fun.  +1 on the best gear you can afford, it saved my tail when I slid across the pavement after going down.  MJD

Quoted:
I admit, I am a noob at riding, but I have some time on an old GS500 and found it to be right about the power I wanted. Not too much, but enough to entertain me. Been down twice, mostly because I was a dumbass and was on OLD, SHITTY tires. The kind that are so old they have cracks in the rubber. Got some once used race slicks from a bike shops trackday (they only use them once!) for like $150 and now I have such sticky tires that I can't even burn out. I would definitely recommend getting the best protective gear too--I was wearing cheap thin stuff when I went for a slide down my driveway at 35 mph--and I will wear the scars until I die.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
.5 miles plus approx. .5 miles of county road that is paved but has precisely three houses down it--hence its kind of a driveway.

Yeah, there is like NO tread on the tires, so I refuse to ride in the rain. The bike isnt street legal, so I put around on my driveway. Well, I hit 90 on the back stretch, but whatever.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
EX500 (and the ninja 500) would be a better bike.

Plenty fast enough. It'll do 0-Felony faster than most things on 4 wheels

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Just had a 5 minute ride on a 2000 MY Ex250.  I guess I don't get the need for an additional 15 cubic inches of displacement.  It could be the fact Trojan Magnums are a bit snug on me or the fact I am used to diesel performance but that little rocket has all I need.  My only complaint is the high RPM at highway speed BUT the mill is smooth, if not exactly quiet.  That will be cured with the replacement of the CS sprocket to a 15 tooth.

Plus a check with the insurance man confirms it...the 500 is a few notches higher in liability coverage.  And I will not need any financing for the 250.  And I will buy new, no need to inherit problems of a used bike.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I also have to go for the EX500 or the SV650. If it were me I would go w/ the SV. Not too much power that it's overwhelming but nice and torquey to have some fun with. Especially in those twisties the torque of the V-Twin will really shine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
You'll hate it after a week. It has good numbers but only if you rev it 13k in every gear. It'll be ok for the girlfriend but not for you.
Honestly, notwithstanding size and weight, larger displacement bikes are easier to drive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I also recommend Kawasaki EX500 for you and GF.  If you do decide to 'keep it' there is a huge aftermarket for it.

I had a CBR600F3 that I used to race (road course, knee dragging) and even after two seasons I had not reached its full potential.  I say this to steer you away from this being your first bike (but later on )

Also make certain to take the MSF Course (Motorcycle Safety Course).  I took it and I can easily say it is basically the equivalent of six months riding experience.

Keep the sticky side down

edit:  click here for MSF Course
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I also recommend Kawasaki EX500 for you and GF.  If you do decide to 'keep it' there is a huge aftermarket for it....

Are we talking the Kawasaki or the girlfriend here?    MJD
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I also recommend Kawasaki EX500 for you and GF.  If you do decide to 'keep it' there is a huge aftermarket for it....

Are we talking the Kawasaki or the girlfriend here?    MJD

Well, I don't refer to people as 'it'.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I also recommend Kawasaki EX500 for you and GF.  If you do decide to 'keep it' there is a huge aftermarket for it.

I had a CBR600F3 that I used to race (road course, knee dragging) and even after two seasons I had not reached its full potential.  I say this to steer you away from this being your first bike (but later on )

Also make certain to take the MSF Course (Motorcycle Safety Course).  I took it and I can easily say it is basically the equivalent of six months riding experience.

We could buy a third, brand-new EX250 AND have $1000 in cash left over by staying with EX250s.  Yes, $2995 +TTL for the 250, $4995 for the 500.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We could buy a third, brand-new EX250 AND have $1000 in cash left over by staying with EX250s.  Yes, $2995 +TTL for the 250, $4995 for the 500.  

very true ... now.  

But as mentioned before you  will get bored/tired with it in about 50 miles.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
www.sportbikes.net

go to new rider forums
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are getting bored on a Ninja 250 it means you are only driving on a straight line.

There i much to learn and be wary of when riding on the street.  It is good you have on dirt experience though,  then you'll have some modicum of muscle memory.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you are getting bored on a Ninja 250 it means you are only driving on a straight line.

Exactly. ALOT of the more experienced riders (ie real road racers) are going back to smaller displacement bikes. Whats entertaining is playing with the "you'll out grow it" clowns while smoking their new liter bikes in the twisties with an old 250. Hell I smoked some local squids while I was riding a freaking HD Road King in the local twisitie section around here. GOing straight will get tiresome, but it does on ANY sportbike. Where the 250 Ninja is fun is in the corners. It can still get you arrested though.

BTW avoid sportbikes.net. Loaded with mis-information. Also the site has been known to shut down when the owner has a hissy fit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You'll hate it after a week. It has good numbers but only if you rev it 13k in every gear. It'll be ok for the girlfriend but not for you.
Honestly, notwithstanding size and weight, larger displacement bikes are easier to drive.

I certainly would not want a ninja250 in Florida!
Might be fun around here where the Adirondacks are close though.

Yes, I live on the edge of the Texas Hill Country.  There are hundreds of miles of back roads which is where I will be riding for the first 800 miles during break in.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

very true ... now.  

Well, I took the MSF Basic, easily passing.  And after 150 miles on EX250s, 125 being on my new one, I am definitely NOT bored.   Cold?  Damn yes since I don't have heated gloves (yet) but NOT bored.

I do NOT need to downshift on ANY hill I have encountered and have not opened the throttle past 2/3 rds.  Shifting is light, fast and precise.  And this is despite the 4000 RPM break-in limit.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well, I took the MSF Basic, easily passing.  And after 150 miles on EX250s, 125 being on my new one, I am definitely NOT bored.   Cold?  Damn yes since I don't have heated gloves (yet) but NOT bored.

I do NOT need to downshift on ANY hill I have encountered and have not opened the throttle past 2/3 rds.  Shifting is light, fast and precise.  And this is despite the 4000 RPM break-in limit.  

Careful there Bud! A bird strike from behind can really mess up your day!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

very true ... now.  

Good work on doing the course and glad to see its working out with your bikes.  Enjoy the riding!

edit: shpeling
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, 467 miles and no problems.  I did the oil change and valve adjustement with no issues.  I am very satisafied with the performance.  The valves were a bit "tight" and the oil change plus adjustment makes the 6000 RPM redline exciting.  Damn, this beast has BALLS!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Glad it's working out for you!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm glad you're having fun!  

I guess my mentality is different from the people who would get bored with a bike after xx miles, as yours appears to be.

I think some people equate "bored" with "not scared of the bike anymore".  I don't WANT to be scared of the bike.  I enjoy having a bike that's not so powerful I have to ride in constant fear of it kicking my ass for a small mistake.  My Suzuki GS500 has a little more power than your EX250, but a little less than an EX500.  It has all the power I can see needing for the kind of riding I do, and I am a heavy rider for this thing to pull around.  A 2-lane country highway is the fastest road I ride on, and the speed limit there is never higher than 55.  A 250 can handle that with no problems.

I might WANT to upgrade to something with a bit more power on down the road, but I have no NEED to.  This bike does everything I need it to, and it does it very well.

200 miles so far, and still having a total blast every time!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, 550 miles.  I did the valve adjustment (yes, I got all 8) with no problems and synched the carbs easily...well, that was just a check.  All is fine BUT the high winds made it very difficult riding yesterday.  Gusts to 35 MPH made the commute a real bitch.  But I doubt any other bike short of a Goldwing's mass would have fared much better.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, at 750 miles, I am still enjoying it.  I am now in the 6000 RPM limit range of break-in and can say it has MORE than enough power for all riding under 50 MPH even with the RPM limit.  Once I hit 1000 miles, I can explore the upper reaches of 13,000 RPM.

This thing is a beauty of sound engineering.  Steel cylinders, aluminum block, forged pistons, twin cam 8 valve (yes, valve adjustements can get tricky but I did it without special tools), water cooled and dual disc brakes.  Sure, the engineering is dated, having carbs in lieu of fuel injection but hey, that is what keeps the price down.

With me and the gear, the bike is right at 520 pounds.  WIth 36 Hp available, that is like a loaded Chevy Suburban with 360 Hp, not a slouch by any means.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Really getting some vindication here, eh?

Good work!  Now go do a track day!!  Range Report required!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#40]
If you've riden some off-road, go with the geometry of an off-road bike with street performance!  Here is what you will learn a ton on, not get beat up if you drop it, and will still be a blast to ride when you are an experienced rider... the Suzuki DRZ 400 supermoto.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#41]
sounds like you are having a blast on your bike.

im in the boat now that you were in last month...im looking for a new bike and im relatively new to riding.

i've decided to go with a 2005 Suzuki GS500.  been to a couple bike websites and there were a ton of people recommending this bike so i went and looked at one and its awesome.

a bit intimidating though compared to the 250 i rode in my MSF course almost 2 years ago.  

1)  cuz its mine and
2) i have to pay for it when it goes down.

good luck to you as you rack up the miles...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't ever noticed Sportbikes.net gettin' shut down inexplicably.  I frequent the place but I am displaced from my R6 till March.  I wish I started on a 250R, I started on a CBR F4i and some dude on a 250R consistently and unrelentingly kicked my ass in the twisties.  The learning curve is MUCH steeper when you get too much bike to start with.  As for being scared of them, yes that's a bad thing but just like firearms you should always respect them.  Also, wear your gear!  I go out in full leathers nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I am the cheap bastard that would go buy a ten year old bike for  a grand and ride it till it died, go buy another one and do it again.  Thats what I did when I was learning to ride.  Keep in mind when you say starter bike that you are already planning on buying another bike, that is what you are saying when you say starter.  

My wife wants to get a bike, she has never ridden before and keeps trying to pick out new motorcycles because they are pretty, I told her I will pick her first bike and after she completes the MSF course, and rides it for a year I will buy her whatever she wants.  I like the 250 ninja and I think that I would enjoy owning one to commute on as long as I did not have to hit the freeway with it on a daily basis.  

My current ride after 25 years of going to work on a motorcycle is a kawi 1600 classic, definitely not a sportbike, but real nice for those long slow cruises in the mountains.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got an '04 and I love it. The break in wasn't that bad either, because I only lived a couple miles from work and it was 5 miles each way. If I took the back roads the speed limit was only 25mph anyways so I had an easy time breakin her in. She rolled over to 1800 miles today. My only complaint is it could use a couple extra gears for freeway speeds. My longest trip was 50 miles each way on the freeway, and the drone of 8k+ RPM gets pretty freakin old.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#45]
GREAT little booger to get you started out in this form of transportation!

Keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I've got an '04 and I love it. The break in wasn't that bad either, because I only lived a couple miles from work and it was 5 miles each way. If I took the back roads the speed limit was only 25mph anyways so I had an easy time breakin her in. She rolled over to 1800 miles today. My only complaint is it could use a couple extra gears for freeway speeds. My longest trip was 50 miles each way on the freeway, and the drone of 8k+ RPM gets pretty freakin old.

For about $40 in parts, you can swap the CS sprocket and rear cog to a 15/42 set and drops the RPM at 70 MPH to 7750.  With the stock 14/45, it is turning 8900 RPm at that speed.

Mine will be here  next week.  It is a simple swap, drop the rear wheel, remove the CS cover, pop the old ones off and slap the new ones on.  No need for a new chain if it is new because there is plenty of adjustment with a 106 link.  If replacing the chain, a 104 link is better for this setup.

If you are worried about losing low speed preformance, forget it.  This gear mod places the new first about midway between original first and second.  Yes, it is a little slower off the line but once you get into second, it is all the same except for the little longer you can be in any one gear.

While the rear wheel is off, shim the cushion drive with plastic strips from a milk jug to remove some of the play.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#47]
We wanna see pics!  I too am learning how to ride.  I would love a bike like this.  Price is right too!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
We wanna see pics!  I too am learning how to ride.  I would love a bike like this.  Price is right too!  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You got to start early on in life, if you wanna be good

Samuel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top