Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 6:24:53 AM EDT
I am looking at a used Land Rover Discovery at my local dealer. It is a 99 with about 105K miles and appears to be in excellent shape. Is there anything I should watch out for on these or should I avoid it and get soemthing else. It will primarily be used to drive my family out to my farm on the weekends which is 15 miles from here so I am not to worried about gas mileage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I love rovers but they are maintanence intensive.

My brother had a '97 Disco that was hell off road, but a pain to keep up.

I'd look at a 4runner instead, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had 2 of them...NEVER again. i had a 97 that i bought certified pre-owned and a 2002 i bought new. those things depreciate faster than just about any other car you can buy. i paid about $40k for the 2002 and in 2004 with 38,000mi the best trade-in i could get for it was $9k. go to an actual LR dealer and look at the new vs pre-owned prices. you'll see

back the 97 LR was still using the V8 that had evolved from the british-overland tractor engine of the 1940's it was a 4ltr V8 that only made a pathetic 150hp and still only got 15-18mpg around town. The 2002 used a V8 derived from the engine in the BMW 7-series. it was smoother with less maintenance issues than the brit engine but still got less than 20mpg for its pathetic 175hp.

they are tiny inside too. im 6'5 and the top of the windsheild stopped about nose height. i couldnt see traffic lights and got into the habit of watching their reflection in the hood to know when to go.

after the last discovery i bought a chevy avalanche. it was bigger than the LR, more usefull, better towing capability. more interior passenger room front and back, it has 125 MORE horsepower and gets 9mpg better fuel mileage and to top it all off it was $10k less

if this hasnt convinced you..... consider the maintenance. LR has the best (THE BEST) service department anywhere. they treat you like a king. big comfy chairs, a girl who will order you lunch while you wait or make you coffee, that service department waiting room felt like a second home (because i was always fucking there) if you have a used LR and you didnt buy it from an LR dealer you are the bottom rung of clientele. they will make you wait months for appts and charge you full retail for parts. unless youre a mechanic and or getting this thing for about $3000 i would run like hell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that Land Rovers are maintenance hogs and you need to take out a second on the house to fix
'em.

It's been archived but check out this thread
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I own an import repair shop here in Denver.  We've seen several LR in here for several different problems.  They're expensive to repair ( how about $850 for two oxygen sensors...  )

The trucks are really cool, lots of storage,  two sunroofs on some models.  My Wife really wanted one, and I had the final word.  -  no.

One common issue.  They leak. Always. Often.  

What's that old joke?  

Why don't the British make computers?  
They can't figure out how to make them leak oil.  Jason
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Land Rover Discovery???

DON'T DO IT!!!

Get a used 4Runner
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy everybody is a little down on the Discos. I had a 97 and loved it! The only things they need to change are better brakes, better acceleration (0-60 in like 2 minutes!) Better electronics ignition coils went bad VERY expensive. Finally they need to work on the rustproofing, I know the body is aluminum, but anything that IS steel will rust.
That being said, I dumped my Disco for a 2004 Avalanche and like it a bit better, but I still miss the Disco for some strange reason.
Oh yea NEVER buy any British car or truck with over 75k miles, your just asking for trouble!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top