Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 7:45:54 PM EDT
Alright, how's the durability of these babies?

I got a price of $125 each for 215/85R16's. (I think I could also go up to 235's if they are easier to find)

They are going on a ton truck, and I HATE A/T tires, so I've been looking for a mud-lug tire to throw on this truck. I won't be hauling much weight, mostly cruising, hunting, and pulling a wagon or two this fall, but if I'm going off-road at all (which I will be) I want some tires that won't bury me.

So, what do you guys think about the Maxxis tires, and do you have any other suggestions in the same price-range (or lower).

Thanks for looking.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
maxxis tires don't really last that long in my experience. best bang for the buck around here is Mastercraft Courser M/T's. I've got some 285/75/16 on my Dodge. Had em for 25,000 now and still have half tread left. Just remember to rotate religiously with any m/t tread tire!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had two sets of Pro Comp M/T's, got over 45K with each set. Wait for a sale, and they're usually pretty reasonable then.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The pro-comps don't seem to come in a small enough tire.

The biggest I can go is 235, IIRC, bigger than that and the rear duals will be rubbing.

I also can't find many places that sell Mastercraft.

I found Dean Tires to be interesting. They are supposedly made by Cooper.

I can get these for $97 each. About $720 shipped.

Thanks for the input.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Cooper tires are good.  My mom had them once on her Astro.

Hey Wizzo, is this on the Dodge you wanted to paint up like the General Lee?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
That tread looks exactly like the one on my Mastercraft's. I'd bet you'll be pretty well off with those. Must be another case of 3 factories making parts for 10  companies. Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, they're going on the Dodge. Got the motor in this weekend and got it running Monday.

Sputtering after about 5 miles worth of driving and barely made it back to our farm. Turns out the alternator fuse was burnt out and we were running on battery power. $3 fuse and it's running like a top. We're getting it registered tomorrow and retiring the Blazer

Haven't gotten it painted yet. That might take some time because I still have to get some exhaust and tires for it (I think 3 out of 6 tires are illegal because they're bald)

I'm gonna check around locally to see what kind of deal I can get.

Thanks for all the input,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yep, they're going on the Dodge. Got the motor in this weekend and got it running Monday.

Sputtering after about 5 miles worth of driving and barely made it back to our farm. Turns out the alternator fuse was burnt out and we were running on battery power. $3 fuse and it's running like a top. We're getting it registered tomorrow and retiring the Blazer

Haven't gotten it painted yet. That might take some time because I still have to get some exhaust and tires for it (I think 3 out of 6 tires are illegal because they're bald)

I'm gonna check around locally to see what kind of deal I can get.

Thanks for all the input,

WIZZO

No problem.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
They do wear fast. Now I'm running Remington Mud Brutes on my srw one ton and allready have 10,000 miles more than I had in the Maxxis tires. They are very similiar and also cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, locally, I have it narrowed down to Pro Comp A/T's (they had a tread that looked pretty good for an A/T tire) and Power King M/T's.

The Pro Comps are probably gonna be cheaper, but he's gonna get back to us this week for sure.

We'll see.

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top