Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 5:38:33 PM EDT
Im gettin a bike because filling up my 04 Mach 1 is killing me. I went down to the Kawasaki and Yamaha shop and they had some good financing deals. I was lookin at the ZZR and the Ninjas, they were out of R6s. This will be my first bike, and i am looking at all the 600's out there, just wondering if this was a good one because its a couple grand cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have riding experience? If not a 100rwhp 350lb bike is not a good way to learn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive got some experience, different style bike though. Truimph Bonneville that is my dads. Im not gonna go crazy when i get it, just gonna go slow and learn. Im gonna take the MSF course for the motorcycle endorsement in FL. Im not sure which bike i should get, Kawasaki has some really awesome financing, and im not sure to go with the ZZR or one of the Ninjas. The Ninjas are more expensive; hence why I was asking about the ZZR. I wanted a GSXR-600, but Kawasaki has some financing that is hard to turn away from. My experience is minimul, but i will be using this to get to work and school; i'm a college student. Not to go doing tricks or racing. If anyone else is doing the same let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
'05 zzr600 = ninja zx6R from '00 to '02

Hell of a bike for not a ton of cash. Motorcylist mag rated it as the best bang for the buck of whats out there. You will not have to worry about keeping up with ninja's and R6's. Prolly too much bike for someone never riding a sportbike before, but thats up to you. Your insurance will be cheaper without the ninja logo too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
cool, thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy something used like an older 600 Ninja. You don't even need insurance on it here in Fl. Then when you drop it and you probably will it wont cost you a grand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I know about insurance, being a new bike i will insure it. I was gonna get a used one but i dont want to risk mechanical problems and wear/tear. Also, there are some really good financing deals out by suzuki and kawasaki. I could get the ZZR for $49 a month for 2 years $0 down. I could pay the moajority off working when i dont have school in the summer. It would be easy for me to make those payments. Then today i saw a dealership on cycletrader sellin new GSXR600's for $7,499 which isnt much more than the ZZR, and Suzuki has $99 mo. payments which wouldnt be terrible. Not sure what im gonna do, need to find a local Suzkuki shop.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A gixxer 600 or R6 for an inexperienced rider are a bad idea. As much as you try to take it easy 110rwhp in a very light bike will overwhelm you very quickly. It's like learning to drive in a Viper. Also I am assuming you are pretty young. Like under 21. If I am correct the insurance will be well over your bike payments. When I was about 20-21 I was going to buy a 750 gixxer. The bike payment was a little over $100 and the insurance was about $225 a month.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought alot of people start on 600's. Im gettin this to get to work because the gas prices are insane(went up almost 30 cents today) and the parking on-campus is ridiculous, but there are reserved motorcycle spots and sections that are always open. I knew a guy who bought an R6 when he was near my age and did fine, the was around 2000 so it was a extremely capable bike. How easy is it to get the front end up on these things anways, my dads triumph bonneville would accelerate pretty quick, but it was so heavy the wheels would stay on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought alot of people start on 600's. Im gettin this to get to work because the gas prices are insane(went up almost 30 cents today) and the parking on-campus is ridiculous, but there are reserved motorcycle spots and sections that are always open. I knew a guy who bought an R6 when he was near my age and did fine, the was around 2000 so it was a extremely capable bike. How easy is it to get the front end up on these things anways, my dads triumph bonneville would accelerate pretty quick, but it was so heavy the wheels would stay on the ground.

It is VERY hard to keep the front end down on an R6 or Gixxer 600. You wont have the problem you had with the Bonnie. I wouldwager to say the front will come up rather easily in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th. I have not ridden one of the brand new 600's but they are pretty much as capable as the 750's of a few years ago and I know the Gixxer 750 back in 99' would pull the wheel in 4th without much trouble. Todays 600's make more power than the liter bikes of 10 years ago and weigh a whole lot less they can be quite dangerous to a beginner. 110whp to 350lbs in quite a power to weight ratio. That is why I reccommend something like an older 600 Ninja. They have respectable power but are not the 10 second 1/4 rockets of todays 600's. Ride a used bike for 6 months or so then step up to the new one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
check out the suzuki SV650S
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
check out the suzuki SV650S

VERY good suggestion for a beginner bike if you really are set on buying new. A ton of fun to ride and a nice tourqey V twin. Not slow but not overwhelming either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have looked into the SV650S, I dont know, i still want the Gixxer. Is it really that big of a difference?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have looked into the SV650S, I dont know, i still want the Gixxer. Is it really that big of a difference?

In a word..... YES!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Ninja 500.  I just bought one, and it's my first bike.  I have had no problems controlling it at all, and I never even sat on a bike before.  It's also about $2000 less than most of the 600's.  I weigh over 200lbs and the 500cc engine has no problem "slingshotting" me up hills.  The foot pegs are in the perfect place (for me, anyway).
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Kawasaki just came out with the Ninja 650, which is designed to be a good starter bike along with the Ninja 500.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah i saw the new 650r, but i dont like the new exhausts their putting on, and the tail/seat looks teh ghey

They had a ninja 500 there, if i got it, i dont think i'd financially be able to upgrade to a new bike anytime soon. Im taking the MSF class soon, im not starting out to learn on my own. I dont think it will be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
MSF class is great and I recommend it to every beginner rider I talk to but it wont do a damn thing to teach you how to ride a modern sportbike. They are gonna sit you on a 250 or smaller and you will never exceed 35mph. A modern 600 will do 0-60 in 3 seconds or less. But it seems you aren't going to listen anyway. So get what you want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I need to get into the Kawasaki dealership and see if they have one of those 650r's sitting around.

Looks pretty sweet

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they'll look better in person, im just not to impressed with the exhausts their putting on the 06's. Ive gotta stop by the suzuki place and see how much their running for, the ninja zx6 is almost 9k which is too high. I found a dealer selling new GSXR-600s on cycletrader for 7500 which is like 200 more than the ZZR. But their in Key Largo. Im still up in the air on what i want to get, ill stop by my Kawasaki dealer on the way to work today and see if they have and of the new bikes yet.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I need to get into the Kawasaki dealership and see if they have one of those 650r's sitting around.

Looks pretty sweet

WIZZO

They are going to have them in black also.  They were just announced just a few weeks ago, so they are brand new.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
That ninja 650R looks sweet, the MSRP is actually lower than a SV650S. I wonder what kind of HP and torque figures it has, never seen a parallel twin. I am planning on buying a new bike in feb, and I was gonna get a SV650S, but I may have to look into this kawi.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's the new Ninja 650R in black:

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#24]
That actually doesnt look half bad in black, still i think the exhaust can looks ghey . We'll see, i have a month-ish to decide.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I actually like it. It looks like the bastard son of a Buell and Ducati
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I actually like it. It looks like the bastard son of a Buell and Ducati

Damn, what a redheadh stepchild huh lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The ZZR would be a hell of a bike, but my advice is to look for a Repo and collision auction for your first bike. A lot of the totalled bikes are theft recoveries that just need new locks and maybe some bodywork. For less than $1000 in repairs and maybe $2000 you'll own a big badass bike that you couldn't buy outright, and if you paid cash for all of it then you have a lot more leverage with your insurance company.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#28]
But what about getting them titled? What are the issues of trying to title a bike with a salvage title?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
But what about getting them titled? What are the issues of trying to title a bike with a salvage title?

Dunno about bikes, but around here titling a car with a salvage title is no big deal at all.  No different than a normal title, other than it says "salvage" on it.

Most insurance companies won't do anything other than liability for you though because of the salvage title.  No comprehensive, no collision, you break it, you're on your own.

Edit:  the up side of the insurance situation is that liability only policies are generally pretty cheap, since the insurance company knows its not going to be getting claims for shopping-cart door dings, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top