Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 9:19:04 AM EDT
My civic is approaching 90K miles.  I've got quite a few rock chips, have been rearended, scraped my front bumper, and have some dings in the doors.  I'm going to get a small thing of touch up paint tonight and want to know the best procedure to make it look good.

Also where I was rearended,  the other guy's license plate screws left dents in my rear bumper.  I would like to experiment with bondo on these (about dime size dents) and then paint over them.  

What is the best way to use the touch up paint?  Will I need to sand the area when I'm done?  Can this stuff be wetsanded to make it match better?  How do I do that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I own a used car lot.  Been detailing, selling and financing cars for as long as I can remember and I have a trick for repairing rock chips and scratches.

Find the color code for your car.  On a honda, it will be on the sticker in the driver's door jam.  Take that code and call up your local auto paint supplier and order the smallest amount of it you can get.  I'm not sure how much I get, it usually costs around $16.  Then take a very fine paintbrush and carefully and slowly paint  the chips.  It will not look new, but it will last longer and look better than the factory touch-up paint.  You don't need to sand or anything like that, just let it get good and dry before you wash or wax your car.

This method is usually good enough to make the chips hard to notice, unless you're looking for them.  If you want the car to look new, you'll have to have it repainted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top