Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 2:56:56 PM EDT
Opinions on the practicality of a surplus UNIMOG . Hive mind question
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They are built like tanks that is for sure. I am looking at them or the Pinzgauer to get as a "Ranch" truck! I would think the only downside for either is parts availabilty and mechanics who know how to work on them (if you are not mechanically inclined as I am!).....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
With the radio box installed on a double cab mog and configured as a camper, it would be a great hunting rig, bov, etc. I wonder if NOLA police would have benefitted from having a handful of mogs.
I don't believe the mogs are to difficult to maintain/repair. The only concern is parts availability.
rocky mountain moggers website is informative.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard they're pretty tough, and the portal axle design on them is taking off in the off roading community.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Practicality of driving it on public highways is just about nill. I owned one for a year or so, but really dreaded driving it around town. Not that the attention it draws is bad. Its the vehicles driveabilty thats a problem. They arent meant to be driven 55+ mph. Badly insulated cabins, extremely noisy drivetrain/tires. Steering like a tank, etc.

As for its off-road capability, none can compare. Seriously, its that good. I drive a Hummer now, and I cant imagine doing some of the stuff I did in my Unimog with it. Its just the best value around for a cheap, capable 4X4 plaything.

Parts are so easy to attain now compared to when I had mine about 8 years ago. You see Mogs advertised everywhere. And the prices have come down since the Swiss Mogs got surplussed a few years ago.

Working on them isnt too bad if you have half a brain. Main problems are with the enormous sizes of some of the parts on it. Definitely require a chain hoist in the shop. Mine had the PTO winch mounted to the bumper. It was so heavu it sacked out the front springs and wore tires out. But to remove it from the truck required the chain hoist.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a Mog, but here is a few Mogs in action.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool photos. Those are all the newer diesel powered Unimogs. The surplus Mogs all have gasoline  motors.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Practicality of driving it on public highways is just about nill.

How do they compare as far as highway driveability to US Mil. Vehicles like a Deuce or a 5 ton?

just wondering.

By hummer do you mean H1 or an H2?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How do they compare as far as highway driveability to US Mil. Vehicles like a Deuce or a 5 ton?

just wondering.

You ain't gonna break many speed limits,would be unsafe to drive on the Interstate(too slow!). the dash looks like it was taken out of an old early 80s 240D. However,the ones I've seen have FAR better seats than any duece or 5-ton(but hell,those can always be changed)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

just wondering.

When someone says they own a Hummer, it usually refers to the full size, original issued model, which is now termed the H1, and now also called "The Alpha".

I never drove a Deuce or 5-Ton, so cant compare.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Just curious, voltage is the electrical system? 12V, 18V, or 24V?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The Swiss Army UNIMOG is a 24 volt system and it uses breakers instead of fuses in the circuits. But mine was a German Bundeswehr Army UNIMOG and it was standard 12 volt electrical system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top