Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
I recently aquired the rights to restore my Uncles old '68 Camaro and I love cars.

Lets start with the pro's, then the con's

Pro's:
-Engine is still able to function, not running yet.
-1968 327cu-in V8 with .30over cylinders, 750 cfm 4bbl Rochester carb, 350cu-in valves
-4-speed racing transmission
-Convertible
- Very nice REAL goodyear racing tires

Con's:
-Rust damage around edges of body panels, hood, trunk, and chrome parts
-Most wires on engine are black from a fire, which surprisingly enough did not damage the engine
-Interior is FUBAR

I know me, my dad, my uncle, and my brother can do it. What do you guys think. Dont tell me its going to cost $$$, I know that already and my uncle has agreed to buy the parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It will cost huge money to do it right, but all Camaro parts are readily available and it is a convertible, so it will be worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Total off frame restoration is not cheap but if you have the space and the time you can do small sections at a time. The money bite will be small nibbles spread out rather than big bites. Won't hurt as bad.
Really depends on how dedicated you are in the build and how far you want to keep it original.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I say do it, it isn't cheap, but as said above Camaro parts are everywhere. It is completely worth it in the end. I never have once regretted sinking the money I  did into my Firebird or my wifes vdub. But, for me working on cars is extremely relaxing, more so than shooting, so I enjoy it a lot. One word of advice on the wiring  buy a new harness from Painless Wiring, they are extremely simple to install and not bad priced considering it comes with everything. It was the best thing I ever did for my Firebird, well except maybe for the 461 BBC or the Ford 9 inch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
We will require before and after pics..
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]

It was the best thing I ever did for my Firebird, well except maybe for the It was the best thing I ever did for my Firebird, well except maybe for the 461 BBC
or the Ford 9 inch.

Aahhh. Heresy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you already know it'll cost money, so all I have to say is good luck.
Oh, and post pics when you're done

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It was the best thing I ever did for my Firebird, well except maybe for the It was the best thing I ever did for my Firebird, well except maybe for the 461 BBC
or the Ford 9 inch.

Aahhh. Heresy.

I know, I know I've been thinkin about going back to Pontiac, I was crafty about the transplant so I could switch to Pontiac easily. I've got a 455 block I am thinking about building for it, the BBC is beyond a gas drinker, when your getting 5-6 mpg and its 3.09 a gallon for super it kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
We are not thinking of trying to do a original restoration trying to make it factory stock. We just want it running and looking nice. Ill get you guys plenty of before and after pics when we start on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or the Ford 9 inch.

Aahhh. Heresy.

I know, I know I've been thinkin about going back to Pontiac, I was crafty about the transplant so I could switch to Pontiac easily. I've got a 455 block I am thinking about building for it, the BBC is beyond a gas drinker, when your getting 5-6 mpg and its 3.09 a gallon for super it kinda sucks.

Don't think for a minute a 455 poncho is going to be any betterm on gas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Your a lucky guy those cars don't come around every day. Whatever you do just do it right.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or the Ford 9 inch.

Aahhh. Heresy.

Don't think for a minute a 455 poncho is going to be any betterm on gas.

I was gonna tone it down a little bit, and swap the 3rd member for a higher ratio. I don't feel like switching the 4spd for a od auto and they just want too much for a 5 or 6 spd, and I'd really hate to pull the Muncie M22 out anyway, it is just too good of a 4spd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top