Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 9:21:30 AM EDT
Any opinions or concers with the VW Jetta TDI diesel engine car?  I'm thinking about trading in for one.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
tag

My brother's best man claims 46 mpg.

The nearest dealer hasn't had a diesel Jetta or Golf as long as I can remember; I haven't checked any of the other area dealers because they are off my regular path.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The older cars are great but now vw is the least reliable car in the U.S. BMW is 2nd. maybe you should wait a new redesigned model is coming out soon. or just buy an older one. I was going to buy one also but everyone I talked to said they were having lots of problems. also every car magazine said they were having major problems with all there cars the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My 98 has been running fine for the last seven. Hi average was 51, these days 47. Taken a few bumps and bruises but no issues other than a 12 degree day two winters back that clogged the fuel filter. That happened only because I forgot to add anti-gel tha time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
#3 injector.  You'll also probably pay top dollar for one in this current gas price climate, you may even pay more than real MSRP ( dealers can print their own spec list).

Oh, and maintenace will negate most fuel savings if you take it in to the dealer.  If you work on it yourself, well, you'll still have to buy the parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input. I'm going to research them a lot more before I buy. I think I might wait a year until I pay off my truck.  That way I would have a year to think about keeping my truck as a hunting/fishing truck.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
One more thing to add.  This is probably a great time to lease one as current residual values are crazy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top