Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT

I currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 QC with the Hemi...and I love it dearly.

The problem is...now, I commute 35 miles each way to work...and, well, with gas being what it is..I've been considering a new vehicle for the last 3 or 4 months.

I've had the truck for a little more than a year. I know, I know..."new".

I need the cargo room (range trips, etc), love it's power so I don't want to really downgrade from that.

So, I've been scouting new wagon-type vehicles....

I need AWD, cargo, sporty, for 30k or less.

Other than a Subaru (say a Legacy, or an Outback, or even a WRX though I'm concerned about it's vehicle height; might be a bit short..would like a good high body/chassis)...any suggestions as to where to look for a good, sporty vehicle that has a good amount of cargo room, gets better than 20mpg on the highway, and has enough get-up-and-go to beat a speeding semi off the exit ramp?

Cause other than Subaru, I'm coming up blank
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If the subaru is high enough the evo might be worth a look.

An AWD magnum would sit higher, but I think that those are only available with the V6 which does not get the gas milage, nor does it move out like the hemi from what I hear.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeep liberty CRD (common rail diesel) gets like 24-26 mpg
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you not like Subaru's?  It's probably going to be my next vehicle.  It's difficult to see one with low miles and the ones that are for sale have extremely high miles, which is good in my book.  

Legacy Wagon.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you not like Subaru's?  It's probably going to be my next vehicle.  It's difficult to see one with low miles and the ones that are for sale have extremely high miles, which is good in my book.  

Legacy Wagon.  Go for it!

Oh, I do...I was just hoping the field would be a bit wider for what I'm looking for

For the Liberty, I was considering it...however it lacks the "sporty" part of the equation.

The...eccentricity of Subaru also appeals to me. Being from the NorthEast, where Subaru was practically the state vehicles for most states up there...out here, not many of 'em compared to there.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I commute 118 miles each way, although I don't have to go every day.

I was on the verge of buying an Outback wagon, although they don't get spectacular mileage.

I wish VW would solve thier quality control problems. They made diesel wagons that would be perfect for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I commute 118 miles each way, although I don't have to go every day.

I was on the verge of buying an Outback wagon, although they don't get spectacular mileage.

I wish VW would solve thier quality control problems. They made diesel wagons that would be perfect for me.

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with no issues.  Not sure what problems you're referring to, but I can attest first hand that the VW lineup, excluding the Beetle, are well made vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 QC with the semi-Hemi...and I love it dearly.

there you go
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#8]

maybe an Audi  or Jetta  wagon but I'd buy the Subaru over those

BMW is making some kind of little SUV on the  3 series platform,  X  ??

Buy a  Subaru !!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Get an Outback and slap a Scorpion Kit in there!

Then bring it by my shop, I'll do all kinds of fun stuff to it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
How about a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix? 24/34 MPG(city and highway, respectfully), tons of storage space, got a 170 hp four, with stick if you like it REALLY fast, although my sister has the base 130 hp four with auto and it's fast enough for around town and the highway offramps.  It also has an All wheel drive version, which my sister wishes she had since it SUCKS in the snow.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How about a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix? 24/34 MPG(city and highway, respectfully), tons of storage space, got a 170 hp four, with stick if you like it REALLY fast, although my sister has the base 130 hp four with auto and it's fast enough for around town and the highway offramps.  It also has an All wheel drive version, which my sister wishes she had since it SUCKS in the snow.  

From the people I have talked to the AWD version sucks the gas too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the people I have talked to the AWD version sucks the gas too.

its listed about 26/31 for the AWD Vibe and the 4X4 Matrix.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
VW is the lowest rated reliable car in the U.S. BMW is 2nd.the best is subaru and honda. I talked and read everything I could on VW's and bought a honda instead. to much bad press for me to go VW. Subaru's are the liberals new favorite car. They traded all of there hondas in for one and then they found out that they get crap for mpg. If you think 20 mpg is great then get a wrx or another subaru model. I'll stick with my 01 ram 4x4 that gets 19.8-22.4 mpg of diesel fuel, and my 01 honda civic that gets 36.5 highway and town combined.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
VW is the lowest rated reliable car in the U.S. BMW is 2nd.the best is subaru and honda. I talked and read everything I could on VW's and bought a honda instead. to much bad press for me to go VW. Subaru's are the liberals new favorite car. They traded all of there hondas in for one and then they found out that they get crap for mpg. If you think 20 mpg is great then get a wrx or another subaru model. I'll stick with my 01 ram 4x4 that gets 19.8-22.4 mpg of diesel fuel, and my 01 honda civic that gets 36.5 highway and town combined.

And I'll stick to my 2000 Jetta TDI that's in perfect condition, getting 43 in town and 50+ on the highway.

And it's quicker than most 4 bangers, more fun to drive, and make that "diesel clack" when you first crank 'er up.  A manly sound that diesel is...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Was this truck new when you purchased it??  If so you might take such a depreciation hit that you may be better off keeping it and just buying a cheap beater (hyundai) to get back and forth to work with...  I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires and only get 10 miles to the gallon but my commuter car is a 95' Hyundai Accent that I picked up for $900.00 and I get around 40 mpg (and the friggin' thing is pink)  I drive it though
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
(and the friggin' thing is pink)  I drive it though

change your name to "girlpower"

JK man
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Yah, I got it new...

I've been considering the cheapo beater route as well...Last weekend made it pretty apparent how badly I need the truck, now the question becomes that since I only really need the truck on weekends and such...do I wanna keep it and get a beater car, or ditch the truck, get a nice awd car, adn get a beater truck?

Or, just ditch the whole thing, use my employee/etc discount I get through work, and maybe pick up a Dodge Magnum with the 3.5l v6.. (the Hemi's nice, but really, I'm not racing or anything, and 250hp aughta be just fine..)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yah, I got it new...

I've been considering the cheapo beater route as well...Last weekend made it pretty apparent how badly I need the truck, now the question becomes that since I only really need the truck on weekends and such...do I wanna keep it and get a beater car, or ditch the truck, get a nice awd car, adn get a beater truck?

Or, just ditch the whole thing, use my employee/etc discount I get through work, and maybe pick up a Dodge Magnum with the 3.5l v6.. (the Hemi's nice, but really, I'm not racing or anything, and 250hp aughta be just fine..)

Does the mileage meet your requirements though? The AWD Magnum would, and it's pretty sweet-looking too, even for a Dodge!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Remember, the Subaru, at least in MN, is coinsidered a lesbian car.  

Look at an Xterra, although my 2000 only gets about 17 in the summer & 14 - 15 in the winter.  I haven't had it tuned in a long time, but the last time that I did it cost me about 2 mpg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does the mileage meet your requirements though? The AWD Magnum would, and it's pretty sweet-looking too, even for a Dodge!

My mileage requirements are pretty much 25mph on the highway, minimum...the Magnum AWD barely meets that.

I dunno...gas prices are coming down, I rediscovered the utility of the truck this weekend (Went to Ikea during their labor day sale, went home with a huge dresser, a new bed frame, and a new mattress...my first bed in over 8 years...been in hotels, corporate apartments, or my broke-ass futon for all that time)..

Re: the subbie, yah, I got stuck behind someone with a big-ass rainbow sticker on the back of her subbie over the weekend. After some quality time stuck behind it, I decided any attraction I had to the body style, etc of the Outback has disappeared.

I think I'll back-burner this until I can at least make up my mind as to which direction I want to go in...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Jeep Commander base model, or even Hummer H3, again base model.  Both right around $30k....

Wife is looking for vehicle right now...considering listed SUVs....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top