Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 10:15:56 AM EDT
My wife's grandmother has an 98 Mazda compact car that she barely uses.  She has about 16k miles on it right now.  How often should she be changing the oil.  It's almost 8 years old, does it need a tune up even though it has very low miles?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you definately should swap the fluids.  That's a long time for them to sit with that little use.  

Change the oil, change the antifreeze and bleed the brakes.  Check the belts and hoses for any cracks as they might be a little dry.  Spark plugs should be fine.  Transmission fluid should be fine.  She should change the oil at least every year no matter how many miles on it.

Do you plan on inheriting the car someday?  If so, tune it up for her and take care of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Age and sitting are just as big of killers as abuse. I would seriously consider tune up, definitley change fluids.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I try to change the oil on my cars every 3K or three months which ever comes first. Which means that when in storage for the winter the oil is changed with no miles on it. only starting it a few times to keep a charge on the battery.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I try to change the oil on my cars every 3K or three months which ever comes first. Which means that when in storage for the winter the oil is changed with no miles on it. only starting it a few times to keep a charge on the battery.

For storage you are better off spending a few bucks on a battery tender and filling the oil to the max.  When I store my bike in the winter I fill the oil all the way to top of the plug and hook up a battery tender to it.  That way you have fresh oil in there all the time and the battery stays at a constant charge.   If you start it up every month the battery drains then charges, and the oil gets contaminents in it which cause breakdown.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Age and sitting are just as big of killers as abuse. I would seriously consider tune up, definitley change fluids.

+1. Very low mileage cars are worse than high mileage and neglected cars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top