Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:17:59 AM EDT
Anyone have direct experience with the Ford Escape (or Mercury MAriner badge engineered sibling), especially mechanics?  

My wife wants us to have a more utility vehicle to replace one of our two sedans.  That part is fine with me.  But, "it can't be too truck-like."  So, round and round it goes.  She really likes the Escape, but I am concerned about whether it is too flimsy.  She doesn't like the Grand Cherokee, and I concur, even though I used to have one (the previous generation).  I think they ruined the new one.  May be mechanically decent (then, maybe not), but the plastic is junkier that the previous one.  Daimler is ruining Chrysler.

Going to look at the Toyota 4runner (but, I suspect she'll think it too big).  I feel those are tougher than the Escape, and may have to push that through, though I don't care for the style (liked the previous one better).  

I'd compromise on the Escape if I thought it was decent mechanically.

One fly in the ointment:  it's not just for going to the mall, but we may be using it on rougher roads, or even trail type roads - may be moving to AZ.  So, i don't want someting that will break easily.  I don't abuse a vehicle, but don't want something where I have to suck in my breath when it hits a rough bump. (yes, I'm probably talking myself into the Toyota)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well  my wife has one, We use it to go to the BO location now and then. It has a towing package and I pull small trailers with it. I cant really say that I have found anything wrong with it. But then we really have not done any back woods stuff with it either. It seems they have a good amount of room in side and all in all seems ok. That’s all I can tell you. Good luck    
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]
As a mechanic, I've spent innumerable hours on the Escape/Tribute and wouldn't recommend them at all. Mainly for front end problems, with ball joints -again- taking the lead in that category(seems to be an epidemic on Ford/Mercury/Lincoln trucks and vans).

For a smaller 4x4 (If the 4-runner is too big) take a closer look at the Jeep Liberty. They are very capable off roaders and just the right size. Very good  power from the 3.7L too. We have a few  Liberty owners on board, CavVet comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  Thanks, oneshot, for the machanic's side of it.  One of the problems with having to please someone else is catering (to a certain extent, anyway) even to whims.  She doesn't like vehicles with tires on the back  (rolling eyes), ruling out Liberty.  If it was up to me alone - and, I may have to push this way more -  I'd get a Toyota 4runner, my only compromise being not getting a plain pickup (she doesn't like those, either).  At least it would have some toughness to it.  I looked at the new Jeeps, but hate what Daimler Chrysler did to the Grand Cherokee.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#4]
We've had an Escape since 2002. Bought new, put 115K miles on it. Not a single, major repair. We change the oil every 3K and do all the scheduled maintenance. It's been a pretty good vehicle actually.

There's some nitpicky things about it that I don't like. But overall I've been pretty satisfied.

It's got as much interior room as the Explorer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#5]
When we buy new cars I rent them first.  In 2003  we went with the 2 dr Eddie Bauer Explorer Sport over the Escape.  

The main complaint with the Escape was road noise.  LOTS of it compared to the Explorer.   Plus, the Explorer was 3K cheaper.

I only drove it for a week, but had no other real complaints. The basic engine seems underpowered,  (Enterprise always buys the least possible)  but what isn't these days?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It is pronounced "Ick-scape" as opposed to “eh-scape.”
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input.  I'd really rather have a 4runner, but it may have to be the Escape.  At least I'll hold out for the AWD.  Re: the pricing vs. explorer - that's turned around, now (back to what one would expect).
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The Escape HEV is supposed to get some really good gas mileage
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking at the Toyota, why not include the Nissan Pathfinder?

G
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
A close friend of mine, a 35yrs experience body man, says they fold up like a tin can.  He referred to the rear axle assembly as fragile and that is a car with enough clearance to get over a speed bump.

I would look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My experience with the escape is limited, but not completely. I drove one to Phoenix and the thing has got some balls! It was a V6 and we were doing 107 mph (right before the governor kicks in) for about 3-4 straight hours. (southern utah to payson, AZ) The thing has plenty of power up hills and it flew past other cars.

I was impressed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Mom has an Escape,so far no problems. I have a Liberty,which I feel is built much more rugged than the Escape. Plus the Liberty has 4L.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It's too bad she won't consider the Lib, it's superior to the Ford.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

G

The new ones have been made so monstrous, with the bulky fenders, even I find them too large (and, I owned an Expedition, at one time) .   The previous ones were truly nice and, with those models, were it not for the drum brakes in the rear, they would be near the top of the list.  Actually, I think Nissan engines and transmissions are superior to Toyota.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's too bad she won't consider the Lib, it's superior to the Ford.

Yes, she has a thing about the tire on the rear.  ANd, that particular model is a tad small.  I wish they had not changed the Grand Cherokee the way they did.  May still wind up with one though, because in my view, it would be between the 4Runner and Grand Cherokee (talking 2005/ 2006 models), with a slight edge to the 4 runner because of frame strength balancing against the greater bulk.  My interest in the Escape is somewhat half-hearted, at best.  It clearly is a bit flimsy, best for mall use.  I'm just trying to please the wife (you married guys understand), but that can be impossible sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#16]
fight4yourrights had a Mazda Tribute(Escape sibling) at one time.  You might want to IM him.

My mom was looking at a Chevy Equinox, but it was too small for her.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

G

id go with the Xterra over the Pathfinder if money was an issue.  

i like the Xterra's a lot, would have gotten one if i was looking for an SUV and not a truck.

My mother has an Escape right now, has had it for atleast 6 months.  hasnt had one problem with it...she likes it and shes a Chevy woman.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]

NISMO  XTERRA   or  Jeeep  Liberty with the new CRD Diesel
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Where's the spare on the escape? underneath? Which is more fun to pull out? She won't change the tire, anyway, you say? Then take it off. Get a roof rack and stow it there.

I understand your plight. Logic be damned, it's not as cute. For this reason, I cannot discuss the topic of motor vehicles with my gf, either....the lack of cognition is appalling.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an 01 Tribute, very happy with it. As a fleet mechanic, the only problems seem to have been sway bar links.........at $15.00 each it isn't a big deal, only replaced mine 1 time in 66,000 miles. have a look at www.escape-central.com/

Funny I haven't heard anyone complain about ball joints, oh and the Escape and Tribute were both designed by Mazda, not Ford.

The Mazda has a firmer/sportier ride the Escape more plush. The Tribute also has a little more aggressive engine/transmission function.
18-20 city  25 highway. V6 AWD ES loaded.

also do a serch on yahoo there is alot of info on the Tribute.

Spare is beneath cargo area in the rear.Access from inside the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

id go with the Xterra over the Pathfinder if money was an issue.  

i like the Xterra's a lot, would have gotten one if i was looking for an SUV and not a truck.

My mother has an Escape right now, has had it for atleast 6 months.  hasnt had one problem with it...she likes it and shes a Chevy woman.  

Actually, I own an Xterra as my second car.  It's too new for me to know if it is mechanically sound.  The Pathfinder looks big, but it is actually only slightly larger than the Xterra.

However, I would rather have your Titan than the Pathfinder, if I needed any hauling capacity.  The Pathfinder is too plush inside for any real work.

G
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Xterras suck! My sister has one and man you had to floor that thing everytime justt o get it to move! Ah well, it was yellow and cute so she liked it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
However, I would rather have your Titan than the Pathfinder, if I needed any hauling capacity.  The Pathfinder is too plush inside for any real work.
G

i bought the Titan with this in mind:  i will be moving down to Texas in a couple years and need something to haul everything down there with.  if i get something now, i can have most of it paid off by the time i move, so if i cant get a job right away or a low paying job there wont be much left to pay off.  

i agree that the pathfinder isnt something i would want to put stuff in and haul.  its much to nice on the inside and it is a lot of money also.  id rather throw everything in the bed and be done with it than fill the inside and worry about the upholstry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top