Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 6:51:07 AM EDT
OK, I'm looking for real world experience, not "Four Wheeler Magazine says....."

What is the bare minimum lift it takes to clear 35 X 14.50 X 15 tires under a 95 Z71.

My 95 Z71 cleared 33 x 12.50 x 15 tires by just tightening the torsion bars and minor fender trimming. Four Wheeler magazine says that it takes like 2.5" of lift to clear those tires so I'm really not interested in what they have to say.

I'm really trying to avoid buying a super expensive 6" lift, but I also don't want to put a body lift on it,

I guess what I'm really wondering is will a 4" lift clear those big tires.

The truck will be used for bogging and flat land trail riding, no serious axle articulation needed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I think a 4 inch lift would do it with minor trimming and flatland use.  Aren't there some 34 inch radials available now also?

I also cocur I can always get more tire on the truck than the mags say possible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Aren't there some 34 inch radials available now also?

Yeah, but I really have a hankering for 35" Ground Hawgs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aren't there some 34 inch radials available now also?

Yeah, but I really have a hankering for 35" Ground Hawgs.

Mall Crawler.

Go visit some 4x4 lift kit manufacturer's sites, they have ths scoop there.  BTW, where do you think the 4x4 mags get their info from.

My guess is that your forked, but don't know it yet, or don't want to deal with it.  Tire clearance is the first but not the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mall Crawler.

Go visit some 4x4 lift kit manufacturer's sites, they have ths scoop there.  BTW, where do you think the 4x4 mags get their info from.

My guess is that your forked, but don't know it yet, or don't want to deal with it.  Tire clearance is the first but not the least of your problems.

Mall Crawler.

Mall Crawler my ass. This truck has over 150k on it. Just because I don't want to sink $1600 in a 6" lift doesn't make me Mall Crawler.

FYI the mags get their info from the lift manufacturers. I'm more interested in real world experience. The lift manufacturers want to sell more lift. Some even lie about the amount of lift their kits create.

35" should work fine under a 1/2 ton. Try not to believe everything you read in the rags. Not every 4x4 needs 1 ton running gear, 2 atlas transfer cases, and buggy spring suspension.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mall Crawler.

Mall Crawler.

Mall Crawler my ass. This truck has over 150k on it. Just because I don't want to sink $1600 in a 6" lift doesn't make me Mall Crawler.

FYI the mags get their info from the lift manufacturers. I'm more interested in real world experience. The lift manufacturers want to sell more lift. Some even lie about the amount of lift their kits create.

35" should work fine under a 1/2 ton. Try not to believe everything you read in the rags. Not every 4x4 needs 1 ton running gear, 2 atlas transfer cases, and buggy spring suspension.

Yep, you're forked.  Here's why:

Most mags do get their info from the lift kit manufacturers, and where do you think the manufacturers get it?  Yep, from testing on real world vehicle under, for them, real world conditions, i.e. off-road.

Can you get 35" tires with a smaller lift, sure you can.  But you won't be able to use them off-road because, guess what, you didn't leave room for them.  Ergo, Mall Crawler.

You're right, most ORV vehicles don't need 1 ton running gear, 2 atlas xfer cases and buggy spring suspension.  I know because mine has none of that.  It's all how you put it together.  If you're starting out with "minimum" lift, you're guaranteed to get "minimum" capability, ergo, Mall Crawler.

Oh, the bigger tires will require a gear change or your performance and mileage is going to really suck, been there done that.  Your mileage is going to get worse with 35" tires, but not as worse with a gear change.  The gear change will cost more than the tires even with new wheel (unless you're going with the bling bling wheel spinner thingies, those are $) +/- and we haven't discussed lockers yet, more $$ and yet another indication of Mall Crawler-ness.

Good luck.

Merlin

ETA: Please don't misconstrue what you want to do as bad, we all start somewhere.  Modifying a 4x4 is a type of arms race:  You modify one part, only to discover weaknesses in other parts (e.g. larger tires requiring new gearing).  And no one who works for living, typically, can go out and do it all at once.  Just don't expect a go anywhere, do anything vehicle with a minimum lift and large tires.  So good luck, I really mean it.

Merlin

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This is not my only vehicle nor is it my first 4x4.

Adding more lift than neccessary gets you a top heavy rig with cab-clearance issues (you can't fit under low hanging limbs.)

As far as gearing, mine has 3.10s, 3.73s would be optimum. There are no mountains in south Alabama so the low range on my x-fer case should do just fine.

I already have a factory limited slip in the rear that worked just fine with 33s, sure a detroit would be more effective but it would surely snap a corporate 10 bolt before too long.

I'm just trying to set my truck up better than it is with 33s. 4x4s are not my life so I don't feel like spending 5k to set it up. If someone with 89-98 Chevrolet 1/2 ton experience tells me that a 4" whatchamacallit brand lift and cut out fenders will clear 35" Hawgs, then I'll give it a try. If not I might start from scratch and build a '79 Ford and dump the big bucks in that.

Or hell, I might just put spinners on the damn thing and put some of those neon lights under it.

edited to add: I already have the vintage '98, $115 a piece, 15x10 aluminum modular rims. And no, you don't need 15x12 rims to fit 14.5" tires.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
i would say 4 inch life would be about right ...you whouldnt have to trim at all but the only thing is 12.50's you might need to buy some wheel extensions but those are around 20-40 a pop.
You may have to get a drop pittman but you shouldnt have to re-pitch the axels unless your really putting strain on them i would!

post pics when your done!
I LOVE 4X4's

i got a pic of mine in the pic thread on page 5 its the green jeep.

edited:

if you order through online or phone go NTW(national Tire & wheel)
LINK HERE

talk to Mark i think his ext. is 110! he will hook you up and tell you the real deal!

DONT BUY FROM 4WHEEL wholesale parts!!!!they sent me 4 rims and 3 out of the 4 had pin size holes in them and failed to back their warranty.... so i was out around 400 bucks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DONT BUY FROM 4WHEEL wholesale parts!!!!they sent me 4 rims and 3 out of the 4 had pin size holes in them and failed to back their warranty.... so i was out around 400 bucks!

I bought from them a couple of times. Once was a tire / wheel package and the service was great.....

.....then they bent me over and stuck it to me. I ordered a console / center seat from them. When it came in it sucked. Poor craftsmanship, poor fit, not to specs. So I called them to let them know that I was sending it back. They said no, it's a custom order. Nothing in their add said that it was a custom order. I sent it back anyways. They said they never got it. I never got my money back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top