Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:28 AM EDT
Did you take one?
Did you take the course offered by Harley dealers?
Did you pass?
Was it worth any discounts on your insurance?
Does your state allow you to substitute passing the safety course for having to take your state's motorcycle test?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
No
Yes (of course!)
Yes 10%
Yes, and worth it.  I saw a statie giving some poor kid the test, and the statie was a prick.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]

NO, they didnt offer the MSF course in 1973 when I got my license.
Nope
N/A
Va doesnt permit insurance discounting, I am told.
Yes, in Va, if you pass the MSF course you need only take the written and present your MSF certificate.

The MSF course is a great investment in 2 different ways.
It permits people to learn the very basics in a controlled, time tested environment.
It also is a way for folks whom are unsure to get a taste of riding, with the basics,
and not have to pop for a bike etc..

One thing about MSF, it is the BASICS. Coming out of MSF feeling you know enough to survive, and ride at the highest levels is unrealistic and dangerous.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you take one?    YES
Did you take the course offered by Harley dealers?  NO I HAVE A SPORTBIKE
Did you pass?  YES
Was it worth any discounts on your insurance? %15-20
Does your state allow you to substitute passing the safety course for having to take your state's motorcycle test?  NO

Well worth the money.  I spent $150 and it's worth twice as much with good instructors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes
No
Yes (of course!)
Yes
Yes
Well worth the money. I recommend the MSF to every new rider i talk to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes

I took the course offered by Harley because it is damn near impossible to get into the MSF classes around here.  Although it cost more money, the Rider's Edge class has bigger and newer bikes than the MSF.  2 of my friends did the MSF and they had a lot of problems with old broken down bikes.  The Rider's Edge class also has less people so you get more access to the instructor.

Yes I passed.

Yes the insurance discount is worth it.

If you pass the MSF class the state gives you your license.  For the Rider's Edge class, the class is Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Then on Wednesday morning the state comes to the Rider's Edge and gives the riders the test.  I already had my license when I took the class.

Either class is good.  Once you take the class, keep practicing what they teach you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
That is the one complaint I had about the MSF class. I forgot to mention it until Roadhawk mentioned it since it has been like 12 years, but the bikes they had were horrible. All were fairly new Honda's 125's and 250's but they were not maintained and were never over 25-30mph so they ran like shit. Luckily I already knew how to ride so I could make due but all the other students (mostly women) had never ridden a bike so they had a pretty hard time with the bikes missing and stalling. I almost brought some sparkplugs to tune the damn things up myself after the first day of riding.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Yes

Well worth the time, effort and money.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes

Also, well worth the time, effort and money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Did you take one?

yes

Did you take the course offered by Harley dealers?

no

Did you pass?

yes

Was it worth any discounts on your insurance?

yes, and then some. I recommend such a course to anyone, regardless of ins. discount. Advanced course is a great refresher even for experienced riders.

Does your state allow you to substitute passing the safety course for having to take your state's motorcycle test?

I don't believe so...took the course after I got my m class, tho so I'm merely speculating
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes
No - local Community College
Hell Yes - perfect score
Yes
Yes

Highly recommend anyone interested in riding take the MSF course!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did you take one?  Yes.
Did you take the course offered by Harley dealers? The MSF course was sponsored by a local Harley/Kawasaki dealer, but I wouldn't call it a "Harley" course.
Did you pass? Does a bear shit in the woods?
Was it worth any discounts on your insurance? Yes.
Does your state allow you to substitute passing the safety course for having to take your state's motorcycle test? It didn't 10 years ago when I did it, but it may now.  

I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner course.  You need a helmet, gloves, jeans, and a long sleeve shirt.  They supply the Honda 250s and instructors.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Took it loved it, learned a lot.
Harley class was 3 mo. waiting list 2 mos. for the DOT one.
Failed it miserably, but I did learn to ride though.
Dont know about the discounts but I ride a 650 and the insurance isn't bad in Ga that is.
In Ga, if you pass you get your -M- endorsement.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes
No
Yes
Yes like 10%
Yes
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes

I took the course offered by Harley because it is damn near impossible to get into the MSF classes around here.  Although it cost more money, the Rider's Edge class has bigger and newer bikes than the MSF.  2 of my friends did the MSF and they had a lot of problems with old broken down bikes.  The Rider's Edge class also has less people so you get more access to the instructor.

Yes I passed.

Yes the insurance discount is worth it.

If you pass the MSF class the state gives you your license.  For the Rider's Edge class, the class is Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Then on Wednesday morning the state comes to the Rider's Edge and gives the riders the test.  I already had my license when I took the class.

Either class is good.  Once you take the class, keep practicing what they teach you.

+1
I'll add that there were only a total of four students in my class as well.
I'd heard from the folks who took it at the community college that there would sometimes be 2 or more classes riding at once, and things could get dicey.
The Buell Blasts we rode had less than a hundred miles on them.
The instructor was good.
It was considerably more than the course taught at the college, but I look at it like private school. I probably got a better education than I would have at a lesser school. In addition we got a discount on merchandise, and I save a good bit on a Jacket I wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top