Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 4:05:35 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a used one.  I like the FLSTF/FLSTFI Fatboy or the FXDL Dyna Lowrider styles and I'm going to stay under $15K if possible but want a "nice" one.   Y'all know of any ''select" model years lately to either hunt for or stay away from?

Steve
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just stay with 2001 or later.That will be a twin cam.The earlier models had some problems.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 4803PHASE.  I'm just getting back into this after about 30 years and have a lot of catching up to do.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Under $15k you can get the new Street Bob, which is my favorite of the current Harley lineup.  Just look around for an MSRP dealer (there is a website that lists them) in your area.

You might also consider an FXR, the predecessor to the FXD.  The current crop of FXDs are just starting to live up to the bike that the FXRs were.  Most you'll find for sale look a little dated but with a couple extra hundred you can get a new seat and bars and update the look.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Just stay with 2001 or later.That will be a twin cam.The earlier models had some problems.

I beg to differ. I ride a 92 Electra Glide that I have had for 10 years. Problems free.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of these on order, I should take delivery on 9/21

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have one of these on order, I should take delivery on 9/21

a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/43e558c6ecec9f/resource.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006/images/colors/w_dyFXDB_sse_dom_C08.jpg

Yeah.  After in_burrito mentioned them I started re-thinking.  Which color did you choose?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I chose Denium Black, just like the pic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I beg to differ. I ride a 92 Electra Glide that I have had for 10 years. Problems free.

He may have been referring to the early twin cam engines.  They had problems with the cam bearings, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The Evos were a pretty trouble free engine. The FXR is really one hell of a bike and an Evo can be had for about 10 grand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Evos were a pretty trouble free engine. The FXR is really one hell of a bike and an Evo can be had for about 10 grand.

Yep.  I found one for a little less than that and am thinking about it.  The idea of a "MSRP" dealer and a brand new one isn't out of the picture either.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
4get_No1,

I don't know what you are interested in riding but I have a 2000 FLHTCUI (Electra Glide Ultra Classic) and I would recommend it to anyone who wants comfort for both the driver and their most prized passenger.  Yep, its the perfect GeezerGlide.  I bought it new in May 2000 and have put 44K of trouble free miles on it and won't consider parting with it.  After a while there's a tendency to develop a symbiotic relationship with your scoot which makes it hard to part with.

Its true that the early Twin Cams had a cam bearing problem but the problem was fixed by March 2000 and any pre March 2000 motor out there should have been fixed by now.  Harley jumped right on the problem as soon as it was discovered.

Speaking of EVO's.  They are a damn good motor and are very reliable.  I had a 89 police model before the Ultra and put 45K on it without any trouble.  One bit of advice I can impart from first hand experience about 89-90 EVO motors is that the engine casings were made of powdered metal and they develop a tendency to leak oil through the cases everywhere.  The leaks aren't bad enough that you lose so much oil it can damage the motor but it sure does make the engine messy and looks bad too.  So, if you find a sweet 89-90 EVO to buy make sure the engine casings have been replaced or you'll be looking at about $1800 repair ($900 for the casing and the rest is labor).  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
For under $15K you can pick up a LEO lease Road King or Electra Glide.  Most of them have less than 3000 miles up here.  I'm eyeballing a new Night Rod myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
<SNIP>
early Twin Cams had a cam bearing problem but the problem was fixed by March 2000 and any pre March 2000 motor out there should have been fixed by now.

<SNIP>
...if you find a sweet 89-90 EVO to buy make sure the engine casings have been replaced or you'll be looking at about $1800 repair ($900 for the casing and the rest is labor).  

Thanks for the specifics Y2KHog.  There's so many choices it's hard to decide (but sure is fun pondering)

BTW ToyCop, I was drooling all over the electraglide but bikes are pretty expensive down here so even lightly used, I'll probably need stick down around the dyna or wideglide or it would get above what I want to spend.

Of course after riding down for Biketoberfest maybe one of y'all snow folks will ask me to keep it safe down here for the winter .  I'd need to make sure it got an occasional warm-up just to keep everything loose though
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For under $15K you can pick up a LEO lease Road King or Electra Glide.  Most of them have less than 3000 miles up here.  I'm eyeballing a new Night Rod myself.

True!

4get_No1  I just put my buddy in touch with one of these bikes and in came from Ft. Lauderdale Harley. It just got shipped to Buffalo, nice bike!! 3300 miles and I guess they are supposed to be getting some "parade" bikes in. Here is their number  1-800-307-4464 and the website is    www.1hd.com  "Randy" in internet sales was very helpful.  They have a couple pics posted of some ex leo roadkings for around 14,000. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't buy a used tampon from Ft. Lauderdale Harley.  If they sold your buddy that bike for $14k then the actual market value is $10k.  Those guys are the embodiment of every stereotype about HD dealers being overpriced scumbags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wouldn't buy a used tampon from Ft. Lauderdale Harley.  If they sold your buddy that bike for $14k then the actual market value is $10k.  Those guys are the embodiment of every stereotype about HD dealers being overpriced scumbags.

Ouch!   Sounds like you had a bad experience with them. My buddy paid less than 14k but not too far off. Im not affiliated with them just passing on a one time shopping experience.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I know a guy that has an '02 Low Rider with 2K miles...he's asking about 11,500.00 I think.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the good input y'all but just about an hour ago some stuff happened.  Not the end of the world type at all, not even real interesting to anyone by us, but either way...

I won't be getting a scoot until maybe next summer but then, there IS next summer so I'll just ask the same dumb questions again then .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top