Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 3:06:28 PM EDT
Well I bought this truck over a year ago and I knew the trani wouldnt last long. Its a 92 F150 4x4 with a 302. I made my offer to the dealer and told him I knew it had trani issues. He accepted the offer and I got a decent deal on it considering it has a rebuilt jasper motor.

Anyhow I helped a fellow arfcommer move today and when we got to his new place an hour and half away I noticed going from drive to reverse and visa versa it didnt want to engage right away. So I go home and get off at my exit to turn right and it wont budge! It just revved but I was able to barely turn into the vacant gas station right off of the exit.

I got it parked and noticed lots of trani fluid leaking out of the bellhousing. I put what fluid I had left in it and drive it down the road to where I work to park it till I came up with a game plan. I guess Im going to try to drive it to a friends not far away after I put more fluid in it. Then I'll pull it and have it rebuilt.

I know these transmissions were notorius for problems when they first came out. There are fixes for those problems now but I dont think its ever been serviced.

Oh well. Its a good truck though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well I bought this truck over a year ago and I knew the trani wouldnt last long. Its a 92 F150 4x4 with a 302. I made my offer to the dealer and told him I knew it had trani issues. He accepted the offer and I got a decent deal on it considering it has a rebuilt jasper motor.

Anyhow I helped a fellow arfcommer move today and when we got to his new place an hour and half away I noticed going from drive to reverse and visa versa it didnt want to engage right away. So I go home and get off at my exit to turn right and it wont budge! It just revved but I was able to barely turn into the vacant gas station right off of the exit.

I got it parked and noticed lots of trani fluid leaking out of the bellhousing. I put what fluid I had left in it and drive it down the road to where I work to park it till I came up with a game plan. I guess Im going to try to drive it to a friends not far away after I put more fluid in it. Then I'll pull it and have it rebuilt.

I know these transmissions were notorius for problems when they first came out. There are fixes for those problems now but I dont think its ever been serviced.

Is it an E4OD? I say get it to a tranny shop and get it rebuilt.  Or find a new tranny.  You are going to pay out the ass if you want a new/reman tranny, they aint cheap.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it an E4OD? I say get it to a tranny shop and get it rebuilt.  Or find a new tranny.  You are going to pay out the ass if you want a new/reman tranny, they aint cheap.  

I cant remember what kind of trani it is. All I remember reading about them is they had some issues when they first came out. No way Im paying someone to pull it and install after its rebuilt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant remember what kind of trani it is. All I remember reading about them is they had some issues when they first came out. No way Im paying someone to pull it and install after its rebuilt.

Get a reman tranny or pay someone to rebuild it.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, its an E4OD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top