Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 5:12:08 PM EDT
I have a '97 Camry with about 85K miles on it and it just recently started to idle funny. It doesn't do it all the time just occasionally. The Tach goes from 500 rpms to 1000 rpms really fast when it does this.

What could it be?

Also, my check engine light came on recently when I finished getting the timing belt replaced. An autozone test came back as a gas metering problem or something. Other than what it said, the autozone guy couldn't tell me jack...

Could these things be linked? Should I take it in to a mechanic? What do you think it would cost me?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know too much about Toyotas (Driven GM products so far, what I know of toyotas comes from my friend's vehicles)

Easy thing to do is check any vaccuum hoses.  Sometimes normal engine vibrations can work fittings loose if hose clamps aren't on well.  Although things caused by vaccuum leaks tend not to be just "occasional" problems.

I can think of a half-dozen things that could cause idle problems in my car (and previous cars) but I'm afraid I don't know toyota engines well enough to be of much help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Blazer do that a while back. It ended up being the throttle positioning sensor. I think it cost me something like $20.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had a Blazer do that a while back. It ended up being the throttle positioning sensor. I think it cost me something like $20.

Rob

Did you fix it yourself, or take it to a mechanic?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Did you fix it yourself, or take it to a mechanic?

I fixed it myself because it was easy (if it was hard I probably still would have done it). On my Blazer it was out in the open. I wouldn't be suprised if you had to take a bunch of crap off to get to yours. Get a manual. The Clymers are vague, but at least give you an idea, and better understanding.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a '97 Camry with about 85K miles on it and it just recently started to idle funny. It doesn't do it all the time just occasionally. The Tach goes from 500 rpms to 1000 rpms really fast when it does this.

What could it be?

Also, my check engine light came on recently when I finished getting the timing belt replaced. An autozone test came back as a gas metering problem or something. Other than what it said, the autozone guy couldn't tell me jack...

Could these things be linked? Should I take it in to a mechanic? What do you think it would cost me?

The check engine light is trying to tell you something .
Taking it to autozoo for free diagnostics is akin to using
a tire gauge to figure out why your lights don't work

There are too many things that can effect idle quality
on a computer controlled engine to take a WAG , but since
I'm feeling especially clairvoyant tonight . I will guess
that you have a leak in the rubber boot between the
air flow sensor and the throttle plate .

As for what it will cost you to take it to a mechanic ....

How much does a bag of grocery’s cost ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
assuming the camry works like my old 1989 supra turbo did, could be:

1) vac hose
2) dirty throttle body
3) throttle position sensor
4) idle speed controller

see what the code tells ya
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top