Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 3:44:01 PM EDT
We're talking overall ownership here.  Something that's easy on the gas, easy on the eyes, good performance, an inexpensive initial cost, and at least a halfway decent aftermarket.  We're not talking the old "buy a Yugo and shoehorn a Hemi into it" either.

If it wasn't so fruity, I'd vote for the Miata.  It's a blast to drive, you can pick one up in pretty decent shape for $10-$15k, and there is actually a pretty extensive aftermarket.  In stock form they get pretty damn good gas mileage too.  They also handle like a go-kart on rails and have a greater sensation of speed than any other car I've ever been in.  The stock shifter is short and preciese as well.  The only problem is that around here the gays really seem to like them and you'd better get used to getting winked at if you buy one.  Also if it's going to be your only car the cargo space can get a little limiting.

My other choice would be a GMC Typhoon or Cyclone.  Being turbos they do tend to prefer the higher octane (around here nearly $3/gallon) gas, but if you stay off the go pedal the mileage doesn't have to be bad.  They've been around awhile so there's a decent aftermarket, and obviously being that they are "trucks" you have some good cargo space for hauling guns.  There's also something to be said for smoking a 911 at the stoplight driving a 4wd truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Typhoons and Cyclones are hard to come by and in good shape pull a decent premium. You would be better off buying a LS1 F-body as the prices will be pretty similar and the F-body is much newer. Also older turbo vehicles can tend to be a headache. I would go with a GN over the typhoon or Cyclone although they are worth quite a bit as well. My vote has to go to the Dodge SRT-4. Cheap and fast. With Mopar's stage 3 turbo upgrade you have a car that costs under 25 grand and makes Corvette power w/ about 500 less lbs. 365whp from a 2.4 liter 4 is pretty damned impressive IMO.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A porche SUV www21.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-turbo/

Wish I had that to haul the kids in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
He said bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I'm not sure some of ya'll are getting this.

$25k for a FWD econobox with a turbo stuffed in it isn't really bang for the buck, and neither is an overpriced Volkswagen.

To set a limit, let's talk about cars that are available for under $15k.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
25K for a Corvette killer isn't bang for the buck? What is your definition of bang for the buck?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
25K for a Corvette killer isn't bang for the buck? What is your definition of bang for the buck?

Everything I read about the SRT-4 is 5.5 to 6.0 second 0-60 time.
Everything I read about the C6 puts the 0-60 time at under 5 seconds.  Hell some are just a hair over 4 seconds (see Motortrend's report).

That's hardly a "killer".  There is a vast difference between "bang for the buck" and "cheap POS".
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
A stock $20,000 SRT-4 is a high 13 second car vs. the Vettes low 13 high 12 second times. As I said for a few grand more you can get the Mopar upgrades which make 365whp. Which is what the Vette puts to the wheels. Yet the Vette weighs quite a bit more than the SRT. A 365whp SRT-4 is a low 12 second car easily on good tires. Maybe even high 11's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a 78 trans am 400 Pontiac, needs some work though. it runs  needs rear tires

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A stock $20,000 SRT-4 is a high 13 second car vs. the Vettes low 13 high 12 second times. As I said for a few grand more you can get the Mopar upgrades which make 365whp. Which is what the Vette puts to the wheels. Yet the Vette weighs quite a bit more than the SRT. A 365whp SRT-4 is a low 12 second car easily on good tires. Maybe even high 11's.

Where are you getting your numbers?

The best numbers I've seen is 355 hp at the crank (not the wheels), and that's not on pump gas.
www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0505_dodge_neon_srt4_stage3/  According to this article it's nearly $30k if you do the install yourself, and I'm sure you can figure on at least $35k to have someone else do it for you.

You've made your vote for the econobox with forced induction and a trunkload of bolt-on parts.

Let's move on and see what other folks have to say.  The purpose of this post was for cars inexpensive enough for more people to own as a second vehicle; something in the $15k range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
the SRT's numbers are to the wheels not the crank. Stock they make their rated power to the wheels as do they with the upgrade packages. The stage 3 upgrades cost around $4000 for everything. I never said anything about suspension upgrades. I have seen SRT's make 450+whp for well under $30,000 but that doesn't matter since it's obviously not what you are looking for. What about an LS1 F-body? They can be had under $15,000.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not particularly "looking for" anything other than some intersting discussion in this forum.

The turbo upgrade, according to the article I linked to" retails for $4125 parts only.  They got 355hp at the crank with 100 octane gas.  Without the suspension and tire upgrades all that power (whther at the crank or the wheels) isn't going to do you any good between the wheelhop, wheel spin, and torque steer.

and it's still just a neon with a turbo.  No matter how fast it is there is no way I'd want to spend $25-30k for that interior.  The SRT-4 costs $7k more than the standard Neon and almost all that money went into the engine and marketing.  While I commend them for doing that I just can't imagine dropping over $20k for a car with a $12k interior.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want good performance and fuel economy at less than 15k in a second vehicle, may I suggest a motorcycle? I picked up my '99 Triumph 885cc in 2001 with 2200 on the odometer for 5k. It's faster than I need, gets 42mpg and I still got 10k left over!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you want good performance and fuel economy at less than 15k in a second vehicle, may I suggest a motorcycle? I picked up my '99 Triumph 885cc in 2001 with 2200 on the odometer for 5k. It's faster than I need, gets 42mpg and I still got 10k left over!

I almost put "no bikes" in the initial post because I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought them up.  How about ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=380496&page=1 another thread to discuss them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the concept of a really fast Neon reminds me of the phrase, "You can make a piece of shit fast....but then all you'd have is a fast piece of shit."    YMMV, of course.

+1 to the used LS1-powered F-Body.  The first model year is '98 with significant engine upgrades coming in '01.

If you're into turbo four-bangers, check out a used WRX.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's another vote for the Dodge SRT-4.  In stock form, for 21k out the door brand new, the car is an absolute blast to drive.  Friend of mine owns one.  Only big negative to me is that it requires premium fuel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One of my co-workers has a "lightly modified" Typhoon as well as a "lightly modified" Cyclone. I love it when it's his turn to drive in the carpool!

They're strictly on road cars and other drivers don't realize what they were up against until you spool up the turbo and absolutely leave them behind when the stop light goes green...however I would not call them best bang for the buck. Awesome sleeper vehicles though!

They are available in my neck of the woods for around $10-15k.  That's in the price range to make it feasible as a second vehicle.

Any clue what your co-worker gets in the way of gas mileage?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top