Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 4:34:57 PM EDT
   Hi I was wondering if the 4.0 stright six has sufficient power to to some medium montana mountain and mud wheelin'or is the HEMI better?The cost of fuel as a factor and power with is better?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
please
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
bump.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no experience with the hemi but the 2000 I have has the straight 6 in it.
Plenty of torque and power to me.
It'll get moving pretty quick for it's size. Gas mileage suprised me as I have been able to squeeze out 23 mpg before. (but that was on a trip with the cruise set most of the way).
So far I have been completely happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The 05 doesn't have the 4L six in it...it has the 3.7L V-6 in it.  The older GC's don't have the Hemi as well.  They either have the 4.7 or the 318 or 360.  

Now, to get back to your question, HEMI, but the 05's look like ass.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't I respond like twice on this thread yesterday--what happened to my posts?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 05 doesn't have the 4L six in it...it has the 3.7L V-6 in it.  The older GC's don't have the Hemi as well.  They either have the 4.7 or the 318 or 360.  

Now, to get back to your question, HEMI, but the 05's look like ass.  

Yeah, your poll is goofed because the 5.7L V-8  and 4.0L I-6 were never available in the same model year.  The current Jeep GC engine choices are:

3.7L V-6 (too weak for this heavy vehicle)
4.7L V-8 (plenty of power and toruqe for 90% of hauling, towing, and climbing)
5.7L V-8 (only if you're a believer in the theory that nothing exceeds like excess )
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I find the 4.7 in my 04 Grand very adequate, although the same motor in my Dakota is a dog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I find the 4.7 in my 04 Grand very adequate, although the same motor in my Dakota is a dog.

We just picked up an 05' GC with the 4.7--I won't comment on it till after this weekend when it gets a serious 4x4 workout.(its the wifes)
But I will say that I have been very pleased with the 4.7 in my 04' Dakota quad cab. It see's some pretty serious 4 wheeling and has impressed me so far. We had a 4.7 in a 04' Durango that we were impressed with also--but it did go back for lemon law issues with the AC (important in So. Az.) and thats how we ended up with the GC.

Good to here varying opinions on vehicles--its just like guns, everyone has different expectations and ideas
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We just picked up an 05' GC with the 4.7--I won't comment on it till after this weekend when it gets a serious 4x4 workout.(its the wifes)
But I will say that I have been very pleased with the 4.7 in my 04' Dakota quad cab. It see's some pretty serious 4 wheeling and has impressed me so far. We had a 4.7 in a 04' Durango that we were impressed with also--but it did go back for lemon law issues with the AC (important in So. Az.) and thats how we ended up with the GC.

Good to here varying opinions on vehicles--its just like guns, everyone has different expectations and ideas

SO 4.7 better?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Since you are in MT I would say go with a v-8 like the 4.7.  I think that the 6 cyl might actually get worse mileage that the v-8 at MT highway speeds.  I had a Toyota Rav 4 that would only get about 20mpg on the highway because at 80MPH it was turning 4,000 RPM.  My 318 v-8 Dakota would get about 22mpg on the freeway, because it only turned a little over 2,000 rpm at 80mph.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can do the new Hemi, its worth it just for the "multi displacement system"--which deactivates 4 cylinders during cruising, and saves 5-20% in fuel. And gas AIN'T getting any cheaper, so thats a nice feature if you drive normally (in other words don't get on it at every light )and do quite a bit of highway. We went with the 4.7 because of the lemon law exchange crap, we had to do close to the same value of the 04' Durango.

If you're not doing new (I believe hemi's are new in the 05's) 4.7 should certainly take care of you  for 4 wheeling and highway in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you can do the new Hemi, its worth it just for the "multi displacement system"--which deactivates 4 cylinders during cruising, and saves 5-20% in fuel. And gas AIN'T getting any cheaper, so thats a nice feature if you drive normally (in other words don't get on it at every light )and do quite a bit of highway. We went with the 4.7 because of the lemon law exchange crap, we had to do close to the same value of the 04' Durango.

If you're not doing new (I believe hemi's are new in the 05's) 4.7 should certainly take care of you  for 4 wheeling and highway in my opinion.

Whats the first year they make HEMI MDS?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MDS has not yet made its way to any DaimlerChrysler trucks or SUVs.  It's only used in the 300C, Magnum R/T, and Charger R/T.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm quite sure Hemis started with the 05's
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MDS has not yet made its way to any DaimlerChrysler trucks or SUVs.  It's only used in the 300C, Magnum R/T, and Charger R/T.

Is it something anyone can make and install. What's a more generic name?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats interesting, when we picked our GC with the 4.7 up on Friday, I asked about it and they said i could get it, but would have to pay the difference (because of the like value/ lemon law shit)
I am staring at the 05' GC catalog right now which most definately lists and describes it under "powertrain". I never did actually SEE a sticker on a window listing it (we only looked at 2 out of about 20 on the lot)

ETA: there was a LOT FULL of 05' Durango's with the Hemi--but after 5 trips to service for the AC, the wife didn't even want to look ---this is her ride
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats interesting, when we picked our GC with the 4.7 up on Friday, I asked about it and they said i could get it, but would have to pay the difference (because of the like value/ lemon law shit)
I am staring at the 05' GC catalog right now which most definately lists and describes it under "powertrain". I never did actually SEE a sticker on a window listing it (we only looked at 2 out of about 20 on the lot)

Is it a stand alone or integrated into the engine?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure its integrated, not a "bolt on" system. If i'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#21]
This is right out of the 05' catalog:  
3.7L powertech V6 ----------    4.7L powertech V8 - ------------- 5.7L HEMI V8
HP:210 @ 5200 rpm--------     HP:235 @ 4500 rpm  ------------ 330 @ 5000 rpm
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It's definitely integrated into the engine.  Only available on the 5.7L "Hemi" and only in cars (so far) was my understanding.

It uses oil pressure to activate a solenoid at each lifter to deactivate the opening/closing of the valves.  The injectors and plugs are also shut down for the four deactivated cylinders.

Here's an animation showing it in motion:
www.chrysler.com/300/features/performance/index.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
slight orange apple comparison, but i have the 3.7 on my gr cherokee, and the 5.7 hemi on my durango.  Night and day.  the hemi is awesome, i love it.  mpg sucks at 12-13 though.  my dad has the hemi on his new jeep, gets 14-15.  

you can't go too far wrong with the extra HP and towing capacity, but it will cost more in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Chuckhammer--Maybe because AZ sells ALOT  more pickups and SUV's  than most other areas, we are seeing them first. But they are definately here. There was a lot full of Durangos and Ram P/U's with hemi's----and I just pulled out a Sunday add from the same dealership we dealt with--
You to can get a 05' Ram Quad cab SLT HEMI for the low low price of 21,557!!! that was the only hemi listed from the Dodge  lot, and the Jeep lot didn't have an add (same owner)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Chuckhammer--Maybe because AZ sells ALOT  more pickups and SUV's  than most other areas, we are seeing them first. But they are definately here. There was a lot full of Durangos and Ram P/U's with hemi's----and I just pulled out a Sunday add from the same dealership we dealt with--
You to can get a 05' Ram Quad cab SLT HEMI for the low low price of 21,557!!! that was the only hemi listed from the Dodge  lot, and the Jeep lot didn't have an add (same owner)

The Ram, Durango, and GC definitely have the Hemi available, just not with MDS.  Hence the crappy fuel economy quoted above.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ram, Durango, and GC definitely have the Hemi available, just not with MDS.  Hence the crappy fuel economy quoted above.

Not wanting to debate this--just telling what i'm seeing with my 2 eyes. I will quote this right from the Jeep GC catalog:
Multi-Displacement System--Deactivates 4 cylinders (1,4,6,and 7)during steady speed, low-acceleration and shallow grade-climbing conditions. Fuel economy is improved 5 percent to 20 percent, depending on driving habits(5.7L HEMI V8)

If in fact they are not available with MDS, thats a VERY poor marketing issue to have it in a catalog---especially this late in the year. On the front page alone they mention it 3 TIMES alone while talking about the Hemi--then on page 6 it is used TWICE as the big selling feature for the Hemi engine.
If you are right, there is alot of people being steered wrong and misinformed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not wanting to debate this--just telling what i'm seeing with my 2 eyes. I will quote this right from the Jeep GC catalog:
Multi-Displacement System--Deactivates 4 cylinders (1,4,6,and 7)during steady spped, low-acceleration and shallow grade-climbing conditions. Fuel economy is improved 5 percent to 20 percent, depending on driving habits(5.7L HEMI V8)

Wow - you're right.  The GC website says the same thing.

Looking at the Ram and Durango sites, though, still no MDS.  I wonder why?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I was adding to my post while you were posting---I can't say I specifically saw MDS on the sticker for Dodge trucks and Durango's with Hemi's, but i'm sure I saw signs advertising it. Because of the "unfixable" Durango that they took back, we were spending WAY to much time there.

Is it possible its not offered everywhere yet, so they haven't updated the website yet to cut down on confusion. In other words they're all going to one region as they're made, or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top