Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont let one of the new GTO's bait you at the stop light drags. I understand even the new Mustang GTs are having their asses handed to them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What is a Z1 ram air engine? No such thing. Its an LS1. I had a 99 GT stang and I also had a 99 WS.6 TA. Both were great cars but the Mustang was no comparison to the TA. The 98-00 LS1 F-Body's are mid 13 second cars stock. The 01-02 LS1's are high 12's to low 13 second cars. The 99-04 GT's are in the low 14's. I have seen a couple barely break into the 13's with a great driver. As for problems the Mustang had none in the two years I owned it with the exception of the power steering pump leaking and being replaced under warranty. Now the TA broke 3 sets of rear end gears, had both window motors go, constantly warped brake rotors and I think that was about it. The Mustang is a good fun car. Get some headers, exhaust, cold air intake and a short shifter and you will have a ball. Just take the advise given earlier and stay away from LS1 and LS2 power at the stoplights or you're ass will be handed to you. My TA with bolt ons was able to beat blown GT's. Oh and another piece of advise. The auto F-Bodies are just as fast if not faster than their 6 speed conterparts. They just launch softer and are MUCH easier to launch. I have seen auto LS1 cars with bolt ons and converter go very deep into the 11's. They would tear Vipers up at the lights. Funny thing is that most people don't know is that the 01-02 F-Bodys are not "like a heavier Corvette". They are faster than the Vette in a straight line. Of course GM wasn't going to tell you that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
You shouldn't expect any issues from the 4.6.  They have proven to be reasonably indestructable.
Look into a supercharger.  It's a lot of money, but most other mods are just pissing in the wind. BTDT.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi..... this is my first time my boyfriend ZW17 made me a login but it doesn't work yet.. I wanted to comment about the mustang GT as i own a black 2000 mustang GT V8 300+ horses under the hood with a preformance aftermarket (not sure what brand) exaust, and the upgraded sport air intake??

I have been told the traction control is usually left on so that you have a harder time sliding around (mainly used for the winter months if you have snow and keep the car on the road)
* Unless you take it to a race ex: SCCA, it is better to leave it off so that you can make your turns better

I have the V8 and have had no problems with mine at all except it likes to pop out of reverse every now and then.

I am in the process of installing amongst many little things to add to horsepower a K&N cold air intake system which I heard was the best....I have the replacement filter just looking for the rest of it now.

My car is the best choice I ever made , eventhough my boyfriend wanted me to get a passat instead.

My next "fun car" will be another mustang
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
What should I expect in the way of problems on the 4.6L if any?

I own a `99 GT and use it for daily transportation, and with 75,000 miles on the OD I have only had to replace the clutch and tires.

What's your general impression of the Pony car?  Keep in mind, 99 was the first year of the engine power upgrade to somewhere around 260hp with 300 ft/lbs plus.  It is a torquey little car.  Looking for general comments here so I don't let my wife talk me into something stupid like upgrades or should I?

Overall a fun car to drive. I am a former Corvette owner that needs a back seat for the kids.  Brakes could be much better, I did not add a supercharger to mine I`ve seen to many reports of blown bottom ends on the `stang forums.

In light of the new body style indtroduction, do you think this body style will ever have a collector appeal?  Looking to decide wheter to ride it hard and trash it or run it for the longhaul.  This will impact what and how much I put into it during maintenence and repairs.  

Drive it hard and enjoy the time on the road with your misses.

Anyone know any special problems or prevalent problems with this car?

What the hell is traction control on a rear wheel drive anyway?

It is suppose to help you in snow/ice conditions but I turn mine off when the roads get wet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I was not talking about the DOHC engine. As I said I have owned a 99 GT I know the power they put down and the timeslips they will pull. A stock 99 GT is easily capable of 14.1 at 99mph while the DOHC Cobras were slightly quicker at about 13.8 @ about 103. The IRS hurts the Cobras drag strip times. The 03-04 Cobras had the supercharged DOHC 4.6 which is easily a match for modded F-Bodies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#15]
TJ, if you read "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine, they can tell you a lot about how to modify your 'Stang how you want it, and there are lots of manufacturers that have advertisements in that magazine.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a '99 GT coupe 5-speed for a little over two years.  I put ~45k miles on it from new with no real problems, original clutch included.  I drove it pretty hard and had a ton of fun.

The tailshaft on my tranny had a small leak that was fixed under warranty at about 30k miles. YMMV

Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread is useless without pics, so I included one.  This is my wife's 04 GT.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hi..... this is my first time my boyfriend ZW17 made me a login but it doesn't work yet.. I wanted to comment about the mustang GT as i own a black 2000 mustang GT V8 300+ horses under the hood with a preformance aftermarket (not sure what brand) exaust, and the upgraded sport air intake??

I have been told the traction control is usually left on so that you have a harder time sliding around (mainly used for the winter months if you have snow and keep the car on the road)
* Unless you take it to a race ex: SCCA, it is better to leave it off so that you can make your turns better

I have the V8 and have had no problems with mine at all except it likes to pop out of reverse every now and then.

I am in the process of installing amongst many little things to add to horsepower a K&N cold air intake system which I heard was the best....I have the replacement filter just looking for the rest of it now.

My car is the best choice I ever made , eventhough my boyfriend wanted me to get a passat instead.

Mustangs are quite fun cars.  Allthough I am having some trouble seeing the 300+ HP number with just an aftermarket exhaust and custom intake.  Honestly on current engines you need to do some serious messing around with the air/fuel map to jump up more than 5-10 hp per "bolt-on" mod.  TJ have fun with the GT.  One thing to possibly look into if you want better handling, is to look into tube subframe connectors to replace the stock square ones.  It will considerably stiffen up the suspension and help the car track a lot better on the road.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
A 96 triple black convertible with the aforementioned wimp 4.6 BUT...

add:
chip
K&N kit
pulleys
B&M torque converter and tranny kit...

... and about 105,000 miles of smiles, even for an old fart like me .

Not a 5 speed but lousy traction for about 15 feet out of the hole and the auto barks 'em HARD hitting 2nd at about 55 MPH (P245-45 VR 17s).  

Problems?  One time I accidentally hit the turn signal while cranking the engine over and burned out the smart-stick contacts.  Typical weird Ford electrical - almost as good as Lucas.  Also, after almost 10 years, the interior black plastic parts are getting quite brittle but that's probably just a black car in Florida item since it sits outside all day while I'm at work .

ETA:  Forgot the 2-chamber flowmaster cat-back
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
It does seem like a pad "scraper" warning - time for new pads - but if you've already checked that then you might take a look at how the caliper is riding on the bracket TJ.  I've still got the original u-joints but like you say, the auto is a lot easier on them than the manual is.  However, the only time I've had a u-joint go bad, I dropped the drive shaft at the same time I dropped the clutch on my old 69 Camaro SS (big ol' heavily pumped Rat motor = low 11s on Penny's Foremost street slicks).  Sorry, but my gear-head foo is weak after about 1975 or so though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]
My last project was a 99' TA Ram AIR. I had headers, low restriction cats, O2 foolers,headers,larger throttle bodies,y pipe, cat back exhaust,pulleys, 3:73 gear,shifter mod(short throw), MSD ignition/packs,fuel pressure/fuel pump high volume, to help with detonation when using a 75-125 horse dry shott.

Now, I drive SUV. Yes, I even put cold air induction, borla exhaust, custom pcm, on a Yukon. Hey, it sounds good. If I had the money I would put a Whipple Supercharger on it.

TJ, I know I miss a hot rod. I want another 66 Chevell Super Sport big Block , roller motor. Oh, the good ole days.

Have fun with the Stang
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My last project was a 99' TA Ram AIR. I had headers, low restriction cats, O2 foolers,headers,larger throttle bodies,y pipe, cat back exhaust,pulleys, 3:73 gear,shifter mod(short throw), MSD ignition/packs,fuel pressure/fuel pump high volume, to help with detonation when using a 75-125 horse dry shott.

Now, I drive SUV. Yes, I even put cold air induction, borla exhaust, custom pcm, on a Yukon. Hey, it sounds good. If I had the money I would put a Whipple Supercharger on it.

TJ, I know I miss a hot rod. I want another 66 Chevell Super Sport big Block , roller motor. Oh, the good ole days.

Have fun with the Stang

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to raise the on this whole post being that LS1's have one TB, can make 600rwhp on stock ignition and wouldn't detonate on a 150 shot  bone stock.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mustangs are quite fun cars.  Allthough I am having some trouble seeing the 300+ HP number with just an aftermarket exhaust and custom intake.  Honestly on current engines you need to do some serious messing around with the air/fuel map to jump up more than 5-10 hp per "bolt-on" mod.  TJ have fun with the GT.  One thing to possibly look into if you want better handling, is to look into tube subframe connectors to replace the stock square ones.  It will considerably stiffen up the suspension and help the car track a lot better on the road.

Unfortunally I only can go by what I am told by other people who know more about cars and if I am wrong then I apologize as I keep finding little things that have been done to the car to make the horsepower go up. to equal what I am supposed to have  I know I have "played" with other GT mustangs and have beat them.    **sry**

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun with the Stang

So you knock a guy who spends money on quality ignition and fuel pressure to assure of no pre-det . please. If i am not mistaken it was a 80mm throttle body. Sure you can spray and pray with a stock motor for a short while. Yes, it has knock-sensors etc so retard/advance timing, but I was building for the bigger picture like ported polished heads with larger intake/exhaust valves, with a more aggresive cam, but a wicked divorce reared it ugly head and shitt had to be sold. So, cry BS it is the internet, you can do those things.

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to raise the on this whole post being that LS1's have one TB, can make 600rwhp on stock ignition and wouldn't detonate on a 150 shot  bone stock.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
MSD doesn't even make upgraded ignition and coil packs for the LS1 smart guy. For a reason. YOu dont need them. I hang out with guys that own 10 second F-Bodies I am no yokel that will believe YOUR internet BS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a pic of my old 99 GT. It wore American racing Torque Thrust II's. 17X9.5 up front and 17X11 out back with 275/40 and 315/35 size Z rated tires respectively.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
TJ, for info about your Mustang, go to "Coral.net".   It is the ARFCOM of all things Mustang.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Dont let one of the new GTO's bait you at the stop light drags. I understand even the new Mustang GTs are having their asses handed to them.

That maybe so, but they have to drive around in an ugly car.  Looks like a Cavalier gone bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#33]
TJ one thing to look into on the scraping nosie is a frozen caliper pin.  I was going through rear pads like crazy for a while, and replaced the calipers twice.  I never checked the caliper pin that the caliper bolts to, untill the brake fire.  After that I found a frozen caliper pin, and after I freed it, I cleaned it and put a lot of grease  in it and new caliper pin boots.  I never had a problem with the brakes again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I think I would have to go with a GTO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Damn TJ Im a little late. Im selling my 95 GT soon. You wouldnt want to put any more mods on it

unless you got hooked
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I think I will keep my miata.  Gas keeps getting more expensive and it holds my EBRs and ammo.

Now, when y'all stop laughing and get up off the floor, you can say soething about corky Romano, but his miata didn't have this in the back:

or this:

Anyway, Mustangs are cool.  Classic cars.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Well if the sound is dead center, I would suspect the rear U-joint also.  Fortunatley the U-joint is rather easy to replace on the Mustang.  Remove the four bolts holding the drive shaft flange to the rear end, pull the drive shaft down a bit, and pull back then with the drive shaft removed, press it out like any other U-joint.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Thought you guys would like seeing the subject car.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41012

NICE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top