Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:43 PM EDT
I was just wondering. I see a few on the road every now and then but not too often.

I traded my '03 Shadow VLX for a '05 Suzuki Burgman 400. Man I really regret buying that Shadow now!!  I just took my scooter on a backroads trip to middle TN and it was great. It has awesome potential as a touring ride and is a helluva a lot more comfortable than my cruiser ever was.

Besides it's kinda fun to see the look on peoples' faces when you go by them @ 80 or better on the interstate!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I see them all day long in Seattle.

I cant see my big ass on one.

I am sure they go farther on one tank than I do on three.

ETA: IS it a motorcycle or a moped? Do you need a Motorcycle license???

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have one, but I like the idea. Apparently a lot of black riders do to around here in Detroit as that's pretty much all you see-short or overweight urban riders.

Nothing funnier than a big Ghetto Goblin on a giant scooter who has a Nazi style helmet painted to match his metallic-maroon ride.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah there are a lot of different types of scooters on the market right now. China & Taiwan are importing a ton of the smaller 50-150cc scooters for like $2K or less.

The new "mega-scooters" are actually called "maxi-scooters" in Europe but that just sounds too much like a sanitary napkin so I call'em mega-scooters!

I managed to avg 70mpg on my road trip! It has a 3.4 gallon tank so I get a cruise range of about 200 miles before I need to fill up(I choose to play it safe-don't like pushing a bike to nearest station!).

Seriously, if you can get past the notion of saying "I ride a scooter" I truly think they are tons more fun and practical than an ordinary bike. Hell the other day I went to the grocery store and got 3 bags of crap and just opened the storage compartment under the seat to take them home. No backpack or having to shove stuff into saddlebags(no balancing the load on either side). It was so easy.  I don't understand why Suzuki and Honda don't advertise them...I think they would bring in a whole new customer base!

ETA: CavVet- Mine is classified as a motorcycle because of it's displacement. Most states classify scooters as motorcycles if they are larger than 50cc and therfore require a license-they're not gonna pass up that revenue
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Scooters are for girls
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to a motorcycle group dinner tonight and one of the guys rides a Burgman 650. He said he had previously ridden a Triumph Sprint RS but he prefers the scooter. I'd like to pick up an Aprilia Atlantic 500 to keep the Speed Triple company.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Scooters are just like fat girls...

...they are fun to ride... but you don't want your buddies to see you on one!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I see them all day long in Seattle.

I cant see my big ass on one.

I am sure they go farther on one tank than I do on three.

ETA: IS it a motorcycle or a moped? Do you need a Motorcycle license???

I don't know about WA, but if it's under 50 cc in IL, it doesn't need a license(IIRC you don't need a drivers license or "M" license.)  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got the 2005 Honda Silver Wing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top