Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:01:12 PM EDT
I'm pushing 90k, which means it's timing belt time.  Do you think that this is a dealer required service, or can my usual shop (quite competent) easily manage it.  I researched it, and it looks to be quite a pain in the ass and some experience would greatly assist.

Also, do you think I should buy the water pump and belt from toyota rather than risk aftermarket parts quality issues.  My 'mechanic' wouldn't put crap on intentionally, so what I need to know is if ALL aftermarket belts and pumps are sub par.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i believe the 3.4 liter is due at 60k, not 90k.  

it's just up to you how much you trust the shop to do the job.  yotatech.com might have a writeup on timing belts in thier tech section.

edit: i would stick with factory parts on this type of job, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

it's just up to you how much you trust the shop to do the job.  yotatech.com might have a writeup on timing belts in thier tech section.

Thanks.

I have found information that indicates that 96-98 was 60,000 and 99+ was 90,000.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Toyota loosened up from 60K to 90K on the 3.4L.  Use factory Toyota parts.  Yodatech.com or tacomaterritory.com have a search feature.  Timing  Belts are discussed in depth and some of the vendors are very reasonable on parts pricing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I have found information that indicates that 96-98 was 60,000 and 99+ was 90,000.

haha, i bought the wrong year then ('98).  99s got the cool cupholders too

edit: if you don't mind when you get it done i'd be curious to know how much the timing belt job set you back (mine's gonna be coming up within a year).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Any good shop can do the timing belt for you. Many of the independant shops have highly skilled technicians, and they often come from the dealerships.

Timing belts are not technical, they just need to be set up precisely. It's a pain to get to some of them, but I would feel safe giving it to a trusted shop any day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top