Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:47:21 PM EDT
I want a motorcycle.

I'm not exactly up on the latest bike models.

What I need is a faggy little used beginner bike that is:

Used.

Medium sized.

Low cost.

Low Maintenance.

Commonplace.

Dependable.

I'm looking for the Ford F-150 of bikes.  Something to piss around on on Sunday.  Annoy the neighbors, etc.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Honda Shadow 750
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple, Kawasaki KLR
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the Shadow VLX or some variant of the 750 Shadow family.  I wish I kept my VLX.  It was fun.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't mean to toot my own horn, but how 'bout a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. It'll do 0-Sh*tstain pretty fast for a little 500 twin.

Here's what my 1990 model looks like(they are updated more nowadays).

It gets about 50mpg in town which is about all I use it for.

New at the dealer is is sitting at around $5000 for a 2006 model but they can be had much cheaper than that.

HERE is Kawasaki's page on it. Just hit the Select Model and go to the 500(2nd one down).

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't mean to toot my own horn, but how 'bout a Kawasaki Ninja 500R. It'll do 0-Sh*tstain pretty fast for a little 500 twin.

Here's what my 1990 model looks like(they are updated more nowadays).
img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/WIZZO_ARAKM14/DCP_0709a.jpg

It gets about 50mpg in town which is about all I use it for.

New at the dealer is is sitting at around $5000 for a 2006 model but they can be had much cheaper than that.

HERE is Kawasaki's page on it. Just hit the Select Model and go to the 500(2nd one down).

WIZZO

+1

My first bike was a 1989 EX500, same color scheme too.  They're a blast.  I would recommend a post '94, though.  One of the changes in '94 was replacing the rear drum brake with a disc brake.  The pre '94's rear drum brake SUCK, at least mine does.  Er, did, I really gotta fix that thing (electrical problems most likely due to the previous owner butchering the harness, as well as gummed up carbs, due to some dumb###, who shall remain nameless, forgeting to put Stabil in the tank).  

BTW, if this is your first bike, take a motorcycle safety course.  Not only are the skills potential life savers, some insurance companies give a discount for successfully completing a safety course.  OK, enough nagging.  

Keep the shiny side up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the post '94. I wish I had a disc in the rear. The drum leaves a little to be desired. It has me relying on the front brake too much for my tastes.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I want a motorcycle.

Used.

Medium sized.

Low cost.

Low Maintenance.

Commonplace.

Dependable.

I'm looking for the Ford F-150 of bikes.  Something to piss around on on Sunday.  Annoy the neighbors, etc.

Thanks.

Your budget will dictate the bike.  WHat is it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want a motorcycle.

Used.

Medium sized.

Low cost.

Low Maintenance.

Commonplace.

Dependable.

Thanks.

$2000 ???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want a motorcycle.

Used.

Medium sized.

Low cost.

Low Maintenance.

Commonplace.

Dependable.

Thanks.

$2000 ???

That might rule you out of the post '94 bikes because they have held their value very well. You still will be able to get a good condition Ninja 500 (or EX500 if it is before 1994) for $2000, you just have to keep your eyes open and look.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The Ninja 500 is a great beginner bike if you want something sporty and fairly quick. Also the Honda nighthawks are great bikes for a beginner. They have balls but aren't scary fast and you wont outgrow it in a week. Glad to see someone looking to start riding and not wanting to go buy an R1 or Gixxer 1000. A piece of advise: Take an MSF course. It is well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Old EX500 or old Nighthawk 750.  I've owned over 10 bikes and can say you won't regret this choice.  You need something to learn on and if you can crash without breaking a $8,000 bike (plastic and gas tanks are VERY VERY expensive).  Look at craigslist.org for something in your area, you should easily be able to find a used one for $2,000.  I picked up a '91 Nighthawk 750 in good shape that needed nothing for $900 two years ago.  I sold it for $700 to my brother, it doesn't have any problems.  They don't hold their value well at all, this goes for all Jap bikes in general.  Good luck!  

+1 on the MSF course, look into signing up this second so you can get in the class in 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to check out a Yamaha Seca 2. It's a 600cc inline4 aircooled. They have been making them for years so finding one in your price range shouldn't be too hard.

The Honda Shadow VLX600 is a great bike but desperately needs a 5th gear if you plan to get on the interstate. Mine was a 2003 and it wasn't very comfortaqble for long rides, but it had a good sweetspot on backroads at 55mph.

Don't laugh but I traded my Shadow for a Suzuki 400 Burgman scooter. That thing is awesome!! It's like a baby Goldwing. Great storage for touring and is very comfortable at 75mph+ on the interstate! I wish I had bought it instead of the Shadow to begin with!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Ninja 250 or 500.

Suzuki GS500(F E whatever the hell letter it is)

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
My first was an on/off road bike.  They will take a beating, and you can usually get your money back out of them when you 'out grow' it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
One can NEVER use too much front brake on a street bike.
If you don't have the rear wheel skimming the ground or up in the air when you brake then you are not using the front brake enough.

Quoted:
+1 on the post '94. I wish I had a disc in the rear. The drum leaves a little to be desired. It has me relying on the front brake too much for my tastes.

WIZZO

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ninja 250 or 500.

Suzuki GS500(F E whatever the hell letter it is)

+1.  The ninja's are just about bullet proof.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for the honda shadow. hella cheep, very nice, commonplace.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
One can NEVER use too much front brake on a street bike.
If you don't have the rear wheel skimming the ground or up in the air when you brake then you are not using the front brake enough.

Quoted:

WIZZO

+1

First thing they told me when I first took the racing school

Yould either stop really fast of do a crazy stoppie

Rear brake is beeter for controlling wheel spin, wheelies, and direction changes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top