Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 10:00:49 AM EDT
I've looked but for the life of me I can't see where the spark plugs are on my '04 Dodge Ram with the 3.7L V6.  I see the fuel rail and injectors above the valve cover but that's it, nothing else.  I heard that Ford is using individual coil packs(one coil per plug) on their '05 trucks that plug directly to the plug, no wire needed. I wonder if Dodge is using something similar?  I've googled my brains out trying to find an engine diagram or info. but there's nothing.  I  also can't find a Hanes or Childon manual for the '04 Dodge yet so that's no help.  If anyone else has an '04 with the 3.7L can you please clue me as to where the spark plugs are or give me a link to an engine diagram or something.  In Frith.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Follow the wires from the distributor

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
they actually went to compression ignition on those engines in late 03 for the 2004 model.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Follow the wires from the distributor

LOL, no dist. on this engine, coil packs fired by the 'puter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Coil pacs, No distributer. Computer controls it all, Welcome to SKYNET........
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you see a large flat metal "panel type of thing between the cylanders?

I bet they are ubnder there., along with the distrubutor.  You won't find any wires, there are none.

You won't even find a cap.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they actually went to compression ignition on those engines in late 03 for the 2004 model.

Then why don't I use Diesel fuel in it??  Come guys, ya'll can do better then that.  I've even heard that this engine is using 2 plugs/cylinder, so where the heck are they??
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
any why are yopu looking for them anyways?

Unless the car has 100k miles leave them alone.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Check under the dipstick. How is the flux capacitor doing?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

SGat1r5

I just want to be ready at 50K to change plugs. If you go 100K with aluminium heads you'll take out half of the threads when you take out the plugs, 50K they get changed with a good set of Bosch Plat. plugs and a dab of anti-seize lube on the plugs.  Also, I just want to know where the heck they're at. Every other car/truck that I've owned has been an older one that I could do just about anything to, it drives me crazy to know know where stuff is at on my truck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why don't I use Diesel fuel in it??  Come guys, ya'll can do better then that.  I've even heard that this engine is using 2 plugs/cylinder, so where the heck are they??

it was a joke

look around, if there are vanity covers, remove them.  it is a SOHC engine so the plugs are either on the intake or exhaust sides of the head, not on top.  look down by the exhaust ports, but I'm thinking they're up near the injectors.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was a joke

look around, if there are vanity covers, remove them.  it is a SOHC engine so the plugs are either on the intake or exhaust sides of the head, not on top.  look down by the exhaust ports, but I'm thinking they're up near the injectors.

LOL, I know it was a joke. I've been around engines for way too long to fall for that one, LOL.  I may have to crawl under the truck and look around the exhaust area to find them. I'm sure I'll figure it out before it hits 50K but the knowing is bugging the heck out of me.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I just want to be ready at 50K to change plugs. If you go 100K with aluminium heads you'll take out half of the threads when you take out the plugs, 50K they get changed with a good set of Bosch Plat. plugs and a dab of anti-seize lube on the plugs.  Also, I just want to know where the heck they're at. Every other car/truck that I've owned has been an older one that I could do just about anything to, it drives me crazy to know know where stuff is at on my truck.

Then why not buy a manual so you don't have to guess...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the above post, THERE ISN'T ANY OUT YET!  At least not at AutoZone or Advanced Auto. Maybe the dealer has one but I'd be willing to bet that they'd want an arm and an leg for it.  
Heck, I'm still waiting for one of the micro-chip reprogramer companies to come out with a box to re-do my chip. There're not even out yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You should be runing plug packs not spark plugs ergo ya dont need any.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the above post, THERE ISN'T ANY OUT YET!  At least not at AutoZone or Advanced Auto. Maybe the dealer has one but I'd be willing to bet that they'd want an arm and an leg for it.  
Heck, I'm still waiting for one of the micro-chip reprogramer companies to come out with a box to re-do my chip. There're not even out yet.

So you know "THERE ISN'T ANY OUT YET" but you never bothered to check with MOPAR?

Ok...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGat1r5

What is the dealer going to charge you to change them?  Just a thought......

.......shoulda got a Hemi!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't even know Ram 1500's could be had with the 3.7l? I have a 2004 Ram with the Hemi...

You can always go down to the local dealer/garage and ask them to show you where they are, since no amount of fiddling on your part brings them to light...at the very least someone should be able to point them out to you. Of course, they'll tell you not to touch them in hopes you'll let them work on it, but...

It can't hurt to ask 'em.

Failing that, I'm sure the folks here can point you in the right direction...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

$70 at my dealer. When I bought my 02 Ram 1500 with the 4.7lt I was told dont touch the plugs for 100,000 miles, new service mamager told me a few weeks ago, that I was due for a plug change, at 38,000 miles.

Now who do I beleive.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
In my older cars and trucks I"ve always changed plugs at aroune 30K. Even using good quality plugs you're out what, $24 bucks in a V8 and even less in a 6 or 4 so it's just cheap insurance against having one that's burnt or fouled and messing up your mileage/proformance.  On "Trucks" on Spike TV they said to change em' out at around 50K and put some anti-seize lube on em' if you've got alum. heads because if you went the full 100K they'd seize up in the heads and you'd end up tearing out some of the threads, makes sence since it's a common problem on VW bugs that use alum. heads.   As for "Plug Packs", never heard of em'. That may be why I can't find the plugs on this truck because it's using something different then I'm used to.  Like I said, the Fords are using a coil pack that plugs directily to the plug so there's no need for a plug wire.  All of this new stuff is ok I guess but it really makes it hard on us older guys that grew up with Carbs. with jets, distributors with points and condensers and all the other "old school" stuff.  Well, at least I still know how to change the oil in it, did that today at 3K miles and will keep doing it ever 2K with a good quality filter.  Oh well, thanks for giving it a try you guys.  Talk to ya'll later, I'm going to get a cold beer and watch what's left of the IRL race.  In Frith.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
You should be able to get the shop manual from the manufacturer.  The dealer should give you the address for that.

Did you try www.chrysler.com? Huh?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$70 at my dealer. When I bought my 02 Ram 1500 with the 4.7lt I was told dont touch the plugs for 100,000 miles, new service mamager told me a few weeks ago, that I was due for a plug change, at 38,000 miles.

Now who do I beleive.

You're service manager is full of shit. I'd CHECK them at 50,000.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#22]
The 3.7l uses a throttle body injection system, it looks like a carb but it contains two injectors mounted over the intake manifold. The spark plugs are located under individual coils. There is no distributor or single coil but the 3.7 has 6 coils. The parts that you think are injectors next to the fuel rail are the coils and wires.

There is one nut that you will have to remove before pulling each coil off. Blow off any dirt or sand away from the upper manifold before pulling out the coils and plugs. The spark plugs are down deep so don't drop anything down there like the retaining nut or it will be a nightmare to get out. Pull straight up, pop, then use a spark plug socket with the rubber insert to loosen and pull the plugs out, 5/8"s I think.

Normal spark plugs won't last 100k, only those high priced platnums. You probably have regular NGKs, about 3 bucks each. They lose their proper gap size over time so changing them is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The 3.7l uses a throttle body injection system, it looks like a carb but it contains two injectors mounted over the intake manifold. The spark plugs are located under individual coils. There is no distributor or single coil but the 3.7 has 6 coils. The parts that you think are injectors next to the fuel rail are the coils and wires.

There is one nut that you will have to remove before pulling each coil off. Blow off any dirt or sand away from the upper manifold before pulling out the coils and plugs. The spark plugs are down deep so don't drop anything down there like the retaining nut or it will be a nightmare to get out. Pull straight up, pop, then use a spark plug socket with the rubber insert to loosen and pull the plugs out, 5/8"s I think.

Normal spark plugs won't last 100k, only those high priced platnums. You probably have regular NGKs, about 3 bucks each. They lose their proper gap size over time so changing them is not a bad idea.

Thanks, good info. So this engine doesn't use a port injection it's a TB injection. That's cool, now I know what the wires near the intake ports are, coil wires going to the individual coils for the plugs.  
 I've been using Bosch Platniums for years, I think I'll stick with em'.  I think 50K would be a good point to change plugs.  At least I won't have to buy a set of wires,LOL.   I think it'd be a lot easier to see what I'm doing when I get an aftermarket air intake system on the engine. Get that big box off of the throtel body so I can see what's going on.  Anyway, thanks again.  In Frith.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Are they under the coil packs?

From what I gather, just as in the '05 Fords, there is no "coil pack", each plug has an individual coil that plugs directly onto the plug.  
I could swear that I saw fuel rails along each side of the intake, I'll have to check closer to see but I'm pretty sure now that there is a coil for each plug and that's why I can't see any plugs.  I'll worry more about it in 46K miles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the engine. Aren't those fuel rails along the top too?  They look like fuel rails.  And that must be the coils that plug into the plugs but like you said, they do look a bit high up on the head.  These new engines get me stumped sometimes.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#28]
If I remember correctly they are under the coil packs. I have changed a set on a Durango but can't remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top